Main Menu

Yer Stuff

Started by EC, Feb 27, 2006, 10:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chills

Quotehow do you determine your alphabetising though?  for instance, personal choices here--  i file captain beefheart under C, whereas some might choose to file under B for Beefheart.  also, PJ Harvey is under P and not H.  maybe i should put miles davis under M instead of D.  now i have myself thinking....

;)

Ok
Names: last name. so Miles Davis under D, Pj Harvey under H
Band names: First part (barring "The"). So, The Black Keys under B

I would consider Captain Beefheart a band name, so, under C

Works like a charm!

ratsprayer

Ok
Names: last name. so Miles Davis under D, Pj Harvey under H
Band names: First part (barring "The"). So, The Black Keys under B

I would consider Captain Beefheart a band name, so, under C

Works like a charm!

i'm not moving PJ to the H's...not gonna happen!   :)

Tree

i have got J Mascis under J but for example Stone Gossard under G

Coltrane

ok. this is strange. we all have our own strange logic.

For example: I have the Doug Martsch solo record. But I file it with my Built to Spill records. Mostly becaue i see it as just another BTS record, because Martsch is BTS, essentially (not to slight the other guyss, who rock!). And I, of course, just put all of my Will Oldham related stuff under P for Palace, just to have them all together.

But there';s no way I would ever put a John Lennon record with my Beatles records, or Frank Black with my Pixies albums. And if I owned a Keith Richards record, i would keep it away from my Stones records (though they would be alphabetically close.). Why? I have no idea. It just makes sense.

Question: how should I file Howlin' Wolf?? H or W??

oh no. i've gone cross-eyed.
....as mayor of Drugachusettes, I declare this pizza to be...AWESOME!!!

ratsprayer

i think frank black's first two solo albums (self-titled & teenager of the year) deserve to be with the pixies' stuff because they're just as good, IMO.

Coltrane

oh, CLEARLY they are just as good. but i think he's grown enough to have his own section ( and made enough solo albums) .

Teenager of the Year gets better everytime I hear it.

by the way, whatever happened to pong?

ycartrob

PJ Harvey goes under H.

Howlin' Wolf goes under W. (Like Son House goes under H. Trust me, I have struggled with this, done research, prayed, phoned home...).

Camper Van Beethoven goes under C.

Frank Black goes after The Black Crowes.

R.E.M. goes before Radiohead.

Paul McCartney goes before Dave Mason.

ZZ Top goes before Frank Zappa.

Fripp and Eno throw me off. All Fripp and Eno goes under Eno (b/c I have much more solo Eno). All solo Fripp goes under Fripp.

All Christmas music goes under C, however, Vince Guaraldi (Charlie Brown) goes under G and Willie Nelson Christmas goes under N.

This is fun...(and neurotic).  :P

ratsprayer

QuotePJ Harvey goes under H.

Howlin' Wolf goes under W. (Like Son House goes under H. Trust me, I have struggled with this, done research, prayed, phoned home...).

Camper Van Beethoven goes under C.

Frank Black goes after The Black Crowes.

R.E.M. goes before Radiohead.

Paul McCartney goes before Dave Mason.

ZZ Top goes before Frank Zappa.

Fripp and Eno throw me off. All Fripp and Eno goes under Eno (b/c I have much more solo Eno). All solo Fripp goes under Fripp.

All Christmas music goes under C, however, Vince Guaraldi (Charlie Brown) goes under G and Willie Nelson Christmas goes under N.

This is fun...(and neurotic).  :P

The Answer has spoken.   ;D

Chills

i'm not moving PJ to the H's...not gonna happen!   :)

Someday you will...
And you'll thank me for it  ;D

ratsprayer

what about eno & byrne?  

Chills

Oh, ycartrob.
I'd put Frank Black before The Black Crowes
McCartney after Mason.

I'm sure you have your own logic working  ;)

Coltrane

oh thank god! I do have Howlin' Wolf under W. changing the order of cd's requires that I call in sick to work and that is always an awkward phone call.

But I have to keep Frank Black before the Black Crowes and The Black Keys.  and Black Sabbath. why? because. that's why.

Tree

What about the Iron & Wine|Calexico ep?

Chills

QuoteWhat about the Iron & Wine|Calexico ep?

Drum roll....

Under Iron and Wine or under Calexico!
You're free to choose  :)

ycartrob

QuoteOh, ycartrob.
I'd put Frank Black before The Black Crowes
McCartney after Mason.

ummmmm, like, no. I mean, shit.

uuuhhhh, NO! Can't happen! It will not happen!

DOES NOT COMPUTE!
DOES NOT COMPUTE!

Go away!

ycartrob

Quotewhat about eno & byrne?

traded that one 2 years ago....but it was with Eno

Tree

Drum roll....

Under Iron and Wine or under Calexico!
You're free to choose  :)
or i have to buy another copy!  ;)

Chills

or i have to buy another copy!  ;)

:D
Yeah, that's the only solution!

wellfleet

i wonder if i can out-neurotic tracy and ratsprayer, who obviously give cd order as much thought as i do. it makes me like you guys even more!
when i worked in the record store, nothing pissed me off more than employees who didn't have a strong command of the alphabet. MacDonald comes before McCartney, not after...
how about band names names after a singer? The Dave Matthews Band? John Butler Trio? Kenny Wayne Shepherd Band? would you file those under the last name of the artist mentioned or under the first letter of the band? so is DMB under D or M? what about stage names like elton john? under E or J? all existential shit i've wrestled with for years...
and then there's the chronology... it makes sense to file in order of release, but i have 40 neil young cds and sometimes i don't remember when the dead man soundtrack came out but i know for sure it starts with a D. so i like to file them alphabetically which, naturally, is heresy to my husband.
what about soundtracks and compilations? at the end in alphabetical order or mixed in with the regular cds?
anyone divide by genre?
i put my richard ashcroft with the verve and dj shadow with unkle and the soundtrack to about a boy with badly drawn boy even though it's offically a soundtrack...
tracy, i feel your exploding-brain pain...
arrrgh...
someone should write a manual we can all follow...

everything sucks. really.

ben grimm

Quotei wonder if i can out-neurotic someone should write a manual we can all follow...
Nick Hornby tried already, "Hi-Fidelity"
They Americanizeified it for the movie but the book is much better.
"Are we sad because we listen to sad songs? or do we seek out the sad songs because we are sad?"
or something like that.