Apple Cider Vinegar

Started by EC, Mar 05, 2006, 10:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EC

Is one of the greatest things for your body.  Do you guys know about it?  Put a little in a big glass of water first thing in the morning and it balances your ph levels and wakes you up a bit (you know, a bit.  you still need coffee.)  

Feeling gross because you just hung out with the girls and all you did was eat and drink?  Little bit in a glass of water.

I love it.  The real stuff, not the Heinz fake-o stuff.  

Anybody else share love for this wonderful thing?

corey

Funny you should mention it. The wife's blood pressure is up this weekend and she was looking for a shot of it tonight, but we are out.

EC

QuoteFunny you should mention it. The wife's blood pressure is up this weekend and she was looking for a shot of it tonight, but we are out.

It's good for blood pressure, too?  Man it is awesome.

It is not awesome when you're out, though.  :(  I hate to hear that.
Do you guys have any rescue remedy at home?

SmoothOprtr

Never heard of it in this capacity, but I use it in my chili recipe and love the sweetness it gives to things... I'll have to throw a shot in some aqua next time I have a hang over...
The only two things in life that make it worth livin Is guitars that tune good and firm feelin women

primushead

I take a shot of it every 2 or 3 days.  It's like an apple a day times a thousand.  Word  8)

MMJ_fanatic

There is a local guy in Mass. who produces a great drink--its apple cider vinegar spiked with some honey.  It has a sparkling aspect to it as well and there is no need to dilute it--just drink straight from the bottle daily.  I love it but its kinda expensive and only sold in certain health food stores.
Sittin' here with me and mine.  All wrapped up in a bottle of wine.

wellfleet

also... two tables spoons before every meal curbs your appetite and helps in digestion. it's a great way to lose weight while eating healthy and exercising, of course!
everything sucks. really.

EC

QuoteThere is a local guy in Mass. who produces a great drink--its apple cider vinegar spiked with some honey.  It has a sparkling aspect to it as well and there is no need to dilute it--just drink straight from the bottle daily.  I love it but its kinda expensive and only sold in certain health food stores.

Okay, that would destroy your stomach, though.  Like how much do you take?  I know that apple cider vinegar with honey is supposed to be a wonderful energy boost (especially with some fresh ginger), but if you drink too much ACV, you're gonna die.

No joke.  You will die.

Okay, that is a joke.  But it seems pretty crazy.

MMJ_fanatic

Maybe I should have specified--it is a pre-diluted mixture and you drink 4 ounces once daily (or however often you choose but no more than 1x/day)
Here's an article:

Health plan
George Gershman's secrets to long life
by Melissa Houston
 It's an experience to step into George Gershman's world. Actually, you're literally guided there. It starts on the highway, little blue arrows summonsing you from Route 56 in Rutland. At most street corners and telephone poles, arrows: take a left, another left, and so on until you find the final arrow, on the mailbox at his modest home, a one-story cottage in a ramshackle neighborhood filled with once-seasonal cabins, now year-round rustic homes. Gershman's house sticks out: it's the largest (I later find out that it's completely fireproof to protect his inventions.), and the driveway is crammed with the tools of his ideas -- ham radios, gas tanks, and loads of rust.
I know I'm in for a treat. And when Gershman comes bounding down his front stairs, it's confirmed. He's a compact, spry 90-year-old, born in Russia, a retired engineer who has spent his life developing and patenting ways for people to live healthier lives. And, yes, he says, he's installed miles' worth of arrows across Rutland so his fans can find him.

He's got plenty of stories. Can I stay all day? He wants me to understand his philosophy: healthy living is the ultimate. To what does he credit his health? "George Gershman's Drink," naturally, a blend of honey, water, and apple-cider vinegar that he began marketing 12 years ago.

"People always say, `You never change; you're always full of energy. What the hell is going on with you?'" That, he says, is the impetus for producing his brew now sold in more than 100 stores across New England, including the Living Earth, in Worcester. It's an interesting drink, kinda like wine without the alcohol; at least, that's what I'm thinking as I timidly finish my first sip, while watching Gershman zoom around his living room at a breakneck pace, dodging computers, a fax machine, a copier, and coffee cans jammed with wrenches and other paraphernalia. All the while, he's talking, passionately explaining that he makes nearly 300 cases of his health drink a month in his back-yard "lab." He delivers them himself in his Lincoln Continental. It's a cure-all, he says, an ancient formula enjoyed by King Solomon. It prevents cancer, improves metabolism. He takes no prescription drugs, he says. He drinks his brew every day.

I gulp the rest of it down, absorbing all that he says, wondering if he'll give me a bottle. No, I don't care. I'll buy it.

Gershman's health drink is certainly a component of his life's work. But he's got about 30 patents for a slew of inventions that date back to his high-school days. He first invented a modified radio tube, which he later sold to RCA.

He came of age during the factory era and worked for Singer sewing-machine company in Worcester. Eventually, he bought the Northworks building on Grove Street, developed precision-measuring tools -- always looking for ways to innovate. After World War II, the government released technology that had been used strictly for military purposes; it was a hearing device to protect pilots' ears from being damaged by powerful, loud jet engines; it created what was called white noise.

With a group of dentists, Gershman adapted white noise, developing what would become his most successful patented equipment: a pain-relieving machine that could be used on patients allergic to Novocain. By superimposing white noise over music, a technology marketed under the name "Auralgesics," patients wouldn't feel pain during procedures. He patented and sold his device that looked much like headphones worldwide. Eventually regulation curbed the instrument's popularity in the US. But to this day, Gershman remains undeterred. He's currently researching ways surgeons can use the technology in lieu of anesthesia. "White noise reaches the bones where the threshold of pain exists," he says, explaining the basis for his research.

Why replace anesthesia? It's bad for you, he says. It remains in the body long after an operation; it causes premature gray and cataracts.

It's high-tech for sure, but Gershman too has delved into the low-tech, developing exercises that promote improved health. Actually, he says, his moves (lots of pelvic tilts and foot crossings which can be done on a bed using sandbags for weight resistance) increase blood flow to the brain, improve memory, ease prostate conditions, relieve us of PMS symptoms. He currently teaches his exercises, which he was all too glad to demonstrate, at senior centers.

But that's all old hat. Gershman looks ahead. He has ideas about a new septic system. He talks about adding on to his home, which he built himself; he wants to continue his hypnotism (he's a licensed practitioner), and -- he almost forgets -- he uses a divining rod. His newest zeal: food that heals. He energetically talks about natural healing, which he says is the last frontier for inventors (that and, of course, the fourth dimension, he says).

"Listen, I want to live for 15 or 16 years. I'm not talking about surviving. I'm talking about productive life."

If we could all be that committed.

Sittin' here with me and mine.  All wrapped up in a bottle of wine.