what's your day gig?

Started by johnconaway, Mar 13, 2006, 11:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

peanut butter puddin surprise

for just a moment, I could swear that said "libertarian" instead of "librarian".  

but I know tundra's too cool to be a libertarian.  damn facists...
Runnin' from somethin' that isn't there

vielfras

Ouch!  So if I sometimes vote libertarian then I am a facist?
When the well's dry, we know the worth of water.

QuoteOuch!  So if I sometimes vote libertarian then I am a facist?

Perhaps that's the wrong term.

from wikipedia...

QuoteLibertarians generally defend the ideal of freedom from the perspective of how little one is constrained by authority, that is, how much one is allowed to do, which is referred to as negative liberty

So basically, environmental laws, workplace protections, discrimination laws, et al are out the window under their platform?  Some authority is good.  I've had long winded, boring discussions with libertarians and have found them to be the most close minded folk-they're so far right they're left-there's just no wiggle room in their philosophy (hence the facist comment) for disagreement.    Their ideas sound good, but in practice (like communism, for instance) it just doesn't add up.  You can't let free enterprise make the rules.  Too many people get hurt in that scenario.

vielfras

Thanks for the clarification.  To me a facist is someone who is on the extreme right or left.  Libertarians in my view are on both extremes simultaneously.  Examples (ending the war on drugs and eliminating social security.)

ratsprayer

QuoteThanks for the clarification.  To me a facist is someone who is on the extreme right or left.  Libertarians in my view are on both extremes simultaneously.  Examples (ending the war on drugs and eliminating social security.)

the war on drugs is a war on people.  we dont have wars against inanimate objects.  it sucks the taxpayers dry of money, and its racist in its policies.  granted, im not the typcical 'all drugs should be legalized' type of person.  i thikn all hallucinogens (marijuana, lsd, mushrooms) should be legal with no repercussions unless theres violence or children involved somewhere.  i dont think hard drugs have any business being legal, ive done them and theyre just fucking bad.  i dont think drug USERS should be locked up though.  like i said, you deal to children or rob someone or cause harm or violence in anyway, ok go to jail for that.  public education has greatly reduced the number of cigarette smokers in the past 40 years.  the same could be done with drugs.  i know im off topic here, but thats that my take.  i know a lot of libertarians wont an end to all drug laws, that would be foolish.  i think a lot of liberarians are basically wanting a state of anarchy which in theory sounds great to have nothing but freedom, but like the principle of communism, would never work with humans.

Not to be selfish, but ending Social Security is a very, VERY bad idea.  When they were talking about tinkering with it, I floated the idea that if they want to privatize it, then they should write me a check for the full amount of every last penny I've put it to Social Security for the past twenty years, PLUS interest.  Why is it all of a sudden a great idea to tinker with things that were working just fine until the powers that be got their greedy hands on the money?

As for the drug policy in this country, it is a total and utter failure, like Prohibition was in the 20's.  They have created a far worse evil then the one they were trying to eradicate.  Make weed legal, and controlled, like alcohol, and tax the shit out of it.

In conjunction with hiring millions of people to grow/process it, I also propose tightening port security by creating millions of jobs to search every last container that comes into this country.  Currently, they say that 2% of containers are searched...what the fuck???  they say they don't have the money/manpower.  Fuck that.  We spend billions in Iraq and elsewhere around the world-create a huge infrastructure of people who are tasked with searching ALL containers for anything suspicious.  This would require massive manpower-presto!  Anyone able and willing would instantly have a job!  The end of unemployment as we know it!

vielfras

Wow great replies guys.  Sorry if I got your thread way off course their Conway.  As far as the drugs go I agree with you guys, especially on the taxation.  There would be a pretty large amount of money to be generated which could be used on education among other things.

Hell, the public school system here in Michigan would probably collapse without the ridiculous taxes on cigarettes, maybe legalizing pot would help turn things around.   :)

As far as the port situation goes I agree, you could solve unemployment problems with that.  And who are they trying to kid about the money needed to check every container, what do we spend each year on the "warr on terror".

Anyway, to get back on the topic and to elaborate on my earlier post in this thread:  I work at a plant that builds auto-dimming rear view mirrors for just about every major car manufacturer.  I inspect mirrors all day before they are sent to the automakers.
Pretty boring stuff, but its interesting to see how much higher the tolerances are for defects in domestic products compared to foreign.

tdan

I am a Geographic Information Systems (GIS) Analyst for a utility company.  I control a geographic database which is used to map the company's facilities/assets.
Well the music is your special friend
Dance on fire as it intends
Music is your only friend
Until the end

Dee.

I'm a psychology student, graduating in May.  I'm gonna get a masters in counseling.  Right now I substitute in special education classes.  I enjoy it.