what should i feed my cat?

Started by wellfleet, Mar 24, 2006, 12:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wellfleet

i'm concerned that this grocery store stuff like whiskas and friskies and whatnot is not the best possible food for my little monkey girl. she's young, prolly less than a year, although not sure because she just showed up on our doorstep and adopted US. she's spayed.

can anyone recommend good cat food that isn't made of cornmeal or meat by-products (i shudder to think...)?

EC... you're the organic vitamin queen, any suggestions? or does anyone make their own pet food and wants to share recipes?

thanks peoples  :-*
everything sucks. really.

EC

funny.  this has come up recently.  my friend's cat barfs every time she eats, so she took him to a homeopathic vet, and she suggested that his body might be not working as well due to the food he's eating.  cats are supposed to be carnivores, and we feed them corn-based, meat-smelling food that is zero meat and all animal-based (except for the oily stuff that smells like meat).

my little sweet pea has not been right for a bit, and she barfs a lot when she eats, plus that horrible eye thing that has come back again.

so anyhow, i'm thinking of possibly starting her on meat.  real meat that you cook yourself and cut into little pieces.  tuna from a can would be okay.  apparently beef is really bad, but chicken and fish are good.  (i would research which fish before you try it, just in case some fish is poisonous for cats).

iams, apparently, is terrible.  they put cats in the food.  there was a big thing about it.  

jen used to feed her cats really expensive food.  what was it called...  eukanuba?  does that sound like a pet food?

plus, i think i remember reading that brown rice is okay for cats.  i'm sure if you googled stuff you could find some nice homemade recipes.  and please share!!  :)

Hejira

my first post on the mmj board, and it's regarding.... cat food. nice.

anyway, we feed our cats california natural, and it seems to work  out well for them. solid gold is also great, as are felidae, innova, wellness, and natural balance.

tenn

Science Diet is good stuff. My vet had me try it cause one of my cats constantly had the shits, anyway it cleared it right up and i haven't changed it since.

Around the same time all the Doctors at my vets office had just went to a seminar on pet food, and the consensus was that Science Diet is the best food out there, no contest.