Cool places to go in Louisville?

Started by timshel, May 14, 2006, 10:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

timshel

Greetings,

This is a special request for all you Louisvillians out there.  I'm an Ohioan who will be visiting your awesome town next Saturday (my birthday) to see the Drive-By Truckers play a show.  The thing is, I want to uncover some cool, hip things to do and places to see in town during the day (before the show starts).

I already spent one night in your town last year, and checked out the most awesome Ear X-Stacy music store (which I plan to return to).  That whole neighborhood is pretty cool.  Any recommendations of restaurants, bookstores, music stores, etc. that I should check out in that part of town, or any other part of town for that matter?  Also, are there any cool parks or hiking along the Ohio River?  Love to check that out.  Any historic landmarks or museums I should see?  Basically anywhere that the Louisville hipsters (or nerds) go is something I want to check out.

Recommendations would be much appreciated.  Thanks in advance!

Jason

ycartrob

I  am a Nashvillian who travels to Lousville for shows. A couple of tourist tips from a tourist:

-Ear X-tacy is on Bardstown Rd. We park our car at one end or another and walk Bardstown Rd (a good 2-3 hours can be spent shopping, eating, coffee, thrifting, etc...). We ate at a great place called Ramsi's Cafe on the World
http://www.courier-journal.com/scene/dining/rev1999/19991218ramsiscafe.html
and loved it.
Also go here: http://www.whylouisville.com/

-Ate and hung here a couple of blocks from Bardstown (Lynn's Paradise Cafe). http://www.lynnsparadisecafe.com/

-Set out on Frankfort Ave when we saw Built to Spill last year at Headliners. (still close to Bardstown). http://www.frankfortave.com/

-On Frankfort we discovered Genny's Diner. Greesey burger dive and home of the Frickle Pickle. Totally awesome if your'e into great comfort food with no frills (there's a strange head of some small critter or perhaps a fish mouted on a wall. We asked our waitrees what it was and she said she had no idea). We told Patrick we went to Genny's and his eyes rolled back in his head and talked about needing a fix.  http://www.louisvillehotbytes.com/genny.shtml

-We also found Zen Garden the night before (which is sort of right across the street from Genny's). It may be the exact opposite of Genny's (as far as food) and it was great.
http://www.louisvillehotbytes.com/zengarden.shtml

Those are a couple of thoughts. I quit drinking a while back, so someone else will have to fill in the gaps. So far, we have had so many positive and great encounters with Louisvillians that it makes the trip even more pleasent. I friend of mine, who lived in Louisville for 30 years, tells me I am not going to the right places in Louisville to experience what it's really like (she doesn't like Louisville), but Louisville is a lot cooler than Nashville (IMO); more soul, less flash.

Have a great time and perhaps some natives can chime in give better scoops than me.

peanut butter puddin surprise

Bookstore:     Twice Told Books

Music:             You already know:  Ear X-tacy
                         also try:  Electric Ladyland

Restaurants:  Mark's Feed Store.  Mmmmm BBQ
                          Ditto's.  Mmmmm Bistro, very affordable
                          Twig n Leaf.  mmmm cheap breakfasts/burger
                          Sweet n Savory.  mmmmm breakfast

Coffee:             Highland Coffee
                          Heine Bros

all of these fine establishments are on Bardstown Road in the area where Ear Xtacy is.  

No offense Tracy, but I tell people to avoid Lynn's and Ramsi's.  Both are overpriced and overcrowded, and better/cheaper food can be had elsewhere.  If you like Middle Eastern fare, try Pita Delight's (right off of Bardstown Road at Grinstead).  

If you do a local search on Yahoo!, you'll find addresses for all these places.

Runnin' from somethin' that isn't there

realdeal

Check out Tink's on Preston St. or the Alternative on Story Ave. You'll have a great time!! Also The Connection off E. Market.

realdeal

QuoteBookstore:     Twice Told Books

Music:             You already know:  Ear X-tacy
                        also try:  Electric Ladyland

Restaurants:  Mark's Feed Store.  Mmmmm BBQ
                         Ditto's.  Mmmmm Bistro, very affordable
                         Twig n Leaf.  mmmm cheap breakfasts/burger
                         Sweet n Savory.  mmmmm breakfast

Coffee:             Highland Coffee
                         Heine Bros

all of these fine establishments are on Bardstown Road in the area where Ear Xtacy is.  

No offense Tracy, but I tell people to avoid Lynn's and Ramsi's.  Both are overpriced and overcrowded, and better/cheaper food can be had elsewhere.  If you like Middle Eastern fare, try Pita Delight's (right off of Bardstown Road at Grinstead).  

If you do a local search on Yahoo!, you'll find addresses for all these places.

You must be homeless to think that Ramsi's is over priced!! LOL!! Please. There is no where in the metro area with a broader range of ethnic foods to choose from all the while very affordable. You obviously haven't eaten there in the past year...plenty of seating inside and out with the new addtion. Yes, the place is very trendy and all the eastend yuppies will fill the place on a nightly basis, but c'mon...overpriced?!?!

Marks Feed store is garbage. Fucking dry-ass, no-flavor, small portion bbq. who still goes to fucking Marks?!?!?

I will agree with you about Ditto's.....decent breakfast menu anyway..

ycartrob

thanks for the new suggestions.

I'll check 'em out next time I am in Louisville.

marktwain

Sorry, JC.  I've gotta agree w/ RealDeal. I love Ramsi's, though I haven't been there in quite a while.  I live too far away, and it's not as toddler friendly as some places.  We were at Lynn's for mother's day breakfast yesterday, and it was deee Lisch us.

TimShel: I'm no longer a hipster, if I ever was, but I'd say if you've been on Bardstown Rd. before, try Crescent Hill/Clifton/Frankfort Ave.  

Also, who's been to the new 3rd St Dive?  any reviews yet?

EC

(tundra, did we go to ramsi's?  where did we go?)

timshel

Thank you all for your great suggestions!  Please keep 'em coming if anything else comes to mind!  I look forward to visiting Louisville this Saturday.....

somehow I knew I would touch a nerve by speaking ill of the oh so trendy Ramsi's.   (yawn)

Mark's has some of the best BBQ in town, I don't know what the fuck you're eating on the menu, but the rib basket is very affordable and delicious.   Their sauce is succulent.

Anyhoo, enjoy Bardstown Road and its many fine choices.  Obviously, there's a difference of opinion here but I digress.

marktwain

Quote(tundra, did we go to ramsi's?  where did we go?)

We were in Old Louisville, south of downtown,  at the Rudyard Kipling - a good place to see live music (EC, or MMJ, for example), plays, and poetry.  Then we went to the Magnolia (or Mag Bar, as it's known by those who know).  It's got a great jukebox.

ah, the Mag Bar.  If only I had a dollar for all the brain cells lost there... ;D

marktwain

Quoteah, the Mag Bar.  If only I had a dollar for all the brain cells lost there... ;D

I'm assuming you know Cliff Clavin's theory about lost brain cells?  If not:
http://www.davidstuff.com/humor/buffalo.htm

hilarious!  in that case, I hereby declare myself a genius!  ;D

antoniostrohs

QuoteNo offense Tracy, but I tell people to avoid Lynn's and Ramsi's.  Both are overpriced and overcrowded, and better/cheaper food can be had elsewhere.  If you like Middle Eastern fare, try Pita Delight's (right off of Bardstown Road at Grinstead).  
I have to agree with John on this one. Even though I'm not homeless ;D or no fine food connoisseur. I still find Ramsi's a little too pricey and too trendy for my taste. I much rather have some good ole BBQ at Mark's. As for Lynn's it's usually  gets too crowded for me.
But I'm also going to the see the Drive By Truckers at the WFPK Listeners Appreciation show this Saturday night. Also on the bill is Alejandro Escovedo,Yonder Mountain String Band,Alexi Murdoch(never heard the last two) and the great Dr. Ralph Stanley a true bluegrass legend. Hope to you there timshel and welcome to Louisville and have great time.

antoniostrohs

QuoteNo offense Tracy, but I tell people to avoid Lynn's and Ramsi's.  Both are overpriced and overcrowded, and better/cheaper food can be had elsewhere.  If you like Middle Eastern fare, try Pita Delight's (right off of Bardstown Road at Grinstead).  
I have to agree with John on this one. Even though I'm not homeless ;D or no fine food connoisseur. I still find Ramsi's a little too pricey and too trendy for my taste. I much rather have some good ole BBQ at Mark's. As for Lynn's it's usually  gets too crowded for me.
But I'm also going to the see the Drive By Truckers at the WFPK Listeners Appreciation show this Saturday night. Also on the bill is Alejandro Escovedo,Yonder Mountain String Band,Alexi Murdoch(never heard the last two) and the great Dr. Ralph Stanley a true bluegrass legend. Hope to see you there timshel and welcome to Louisville and have great time.