Main Menu

Sports!

Started by ycartrob, Jun 26, 2006, 10:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ycartrob

so, Meg brought up an interesting point in the World Cup thread.

Why don't people get as excited about books or art as they do (we do) sports?

I have already pondered this and I know I love the spectacle of athleticism. I love seeing a human being do something with athletic grace, perhaps something I have tried to do over and over again and never been able to accomplish.

I had a 15 year old kid dunk on me a couple of weeks ago and it was truly one of the most beautiful, seemingly effortless things I have ever seen. It was done with the ease of me bringing a cup of coffee to my mouth. And for me, what made it extra beautful was the grace; there was no chest pounding or jawing, he just smiled at me. We both knew.

I think the biggest draw to sport is the competitive nature that's in our genes. Given the proper drive, we are all competitive. There's also the identity factor that works hand in hand with competition. What a great (and usually) harmless avenue for one to feel camaraderie with your fellow man; standing side by side with strangers and friends, all rooting for a common cause, yelling, plotting, second guessing, hugging, crying, winning, losing. You can have an entire lifetime of emotions in just a couple of hours. It's all a spectacle, it's a release, it's beauty and grace, and it's just a game and it's been with us forever.

Now, should it be this way? Probably not. Do the mega money machines running sports dictate through marketing how important sports are? Yes. Is this right? Depends on who you ask. Do I know what art exhibit is showing at the Frist Center? No. Do I know that the Titans play the Saints in the first pre-season game here in Nashville in August? Yes! Would I pay 60 dollars and sit with 65,000 people to watch someone teach Algebra? No. Would I pay 60 dollars to see the Jacket? yes! Do the kids in the neighborhood all gather around on the weekends to do art projects? Well, not where I live. Do they all gather around to play football or baseball or basketball or soccer? Yes. Would this be different if it weren't a patriarchal world? I believe so. I believe we would all be doing more art on the weekends if women were the dominant sex on the planet.

A lot of it is subjective (as with everything). I can literally ramble on for pages, but I got to go to work.

Comments? Thoughts? Suggestions? Donations?

aMD

People get "excited" in their own way about books, take the Bible for example or the Koran, or the DaVinci Code, for that matter.  Or the Muslim world going crazy over cartoons that depict the prophet Muhammad.

On the other hand, books just aren't as exciting as sports.  it's like the line in the movie the Program, something like "try to get 50,000 people to show up to watch a guy take a test".  The national speeling bee is beginning to reach sports event status, however, but in my book it's still not as exciting as seeing a linebacker take a quarterback's head off.  Call me low brow, but it's just the truth.  

To wax philosophical about it, a game in many ways is a microcosm of life itself.  There's struggle, competition, momentum, rules, leaders, followers, organization, and chaos.  The one big difference being that in the end there is a clear cut winner and loser, which is satsifying for those of us who long for that kind of clarity in life itself. Should it be this way?  Of course, it's our nature, it provides meaning and entertainment at the same time, much like music, which also draws some huge crowds.  

ycartrob

QuotePeople get "excited" in their own way about books, take the Bible for example or the Koran, or the DaVinci Code, for that matter.  Or the Muslim world going crazy over cartoons that depict the prophet Muhammad.

On the other hand, books just aren't as exciting as sports.  it's like the line in the movie the Program, something like "try to get 50,000 people to show up to watch a guy take a test".  The national speeling bee is beginning to reach sports event status, however, but in my book it's still not as exciting as seeing a linebacker take a quarterback's head off.  Call me low brow, but it's just the truth.  

To wax philosophical about it, a game in many ways is a microcosm of life itself.  There's struggle, competition, momentum, rules, leaders, followers, organization, and chaos.  The one big difference being that in the end there is a clear cut winner and loser, which is satsifying for those of us who long for that kind of clarity in life itself. Should it be this way?  Of course, it's our nature, it provides meaning and entertainment at the same time, much like music, which also draws some huge crowds.  

Great post.

Plus, a friend of mine pointed out the art of uniforms and stadiums plus all that happens on the field (planned and not) is math.

ManNamedTruth

As an artist myself I feel sometimes like I'm in a minority in my way of thinking. Many of the greatest artists have been outcasts during their lives. Van Gogh comes to mind. Theres just simply a lot of people who don't get art and don't care to learn about it. You can't change people like that and why would you even want to try. I like being different anyway.

I happen to also be a fan of certain sports. I'm a big Steeler fan especially. Theres just something about sports that appeals to almost everyone. aMD already explained it better than I could.
That's motherfuckin' John Oates!

EC

really interesting topic, tracy.  and good replies, too.

i enjoy the athleticism of sports, as well.  i think i like to see bodies in motion, regardless of the situation - sports, dance, rockstars.  but i don't get sports.

but i do get involved if i'm at a game, and i know what that is from - energy is infectious.  same with at a rock show - there's a reason frontmen yell at us "how y'all doing?  i can't HEAR you i SAID...etc."  it's because we get energized and excited by yelling and cheering and clapping and moving and dancing.  it's the same with political rallies - everybody gets infected with the energy, and it's a bit of a natural high.  it's nice to feel excited and happy.

but it's also a bit dangerous.  it's exciting, but it can lead to people doing weird stuff they wouldn't normally do - like the fights that happen in toronto streets from people cheering for opposing teams.  there's a reason why we have mounted police on the streets when world cup is on.  it's the same with when people do crazy things at political rallies, or concerts, or whatever.  they get so excited that they're not thinking clearly (add alcohol to that, and heeeeeeere we goooooo.)

books and a lot of art (aside from loud music) is a more quiet endeavour.  i would venture to say that there is equal interest, but that the displays of this interest are different.  and yeah, if you're not really sure what's happening, it's way funner to be at a game where everyone's freaking out, than going to an art gallery where you have to do a bit more research in order to have a good time.

but i kind of think that stinks, too.  obviously it would be awesome to live in a world where everybody thought that art was cool and it was interesting to get into it.  but it takes a different part of your brain to get into it, and also, a lot of people aren't exposed to that world, at all, for various socio-political/economic reasons.  if you get to go to university, chances are you'll learn a bit of poetry, maybe some painters.  if you don't go to university, you can still watch the football game on tv.

and that is NOT to say that people who get into sports are pursuing lesser intellectual endeavours.  i took thai boxing for a while (waaaaaaaay back), and i was pretty into boxing at that time.  and i like to look at paintings, and i like to read and listen to music, too, and i think most of the people posting around here in the world cup thread are the same.

mostly i think it's an energy thing.  and tracy, i think i agree with you that it might be different if we lived in a matriarchal society.  but i'm also not sure if that's a good idea, either.  is there even a name for a society that is run by men and women equally, and where it isn't even an issue?  where differences are recognized and embraced, but don't necessarily govern one way or the other?

yeah.  sports.  what's the latin root of sport?  just googled it and got two very different answers...

another interesting point is that most of the really skilled athletes that i know are also really smart.

corey

Quotebut in my book it's still not as exciting as seeing a linebacker take a quarterback's head off.  Call me low brow, but it's just the truth.

That's a choice post right there. I think you nailed it. There's a damn rush that comes with it. There's so much tension in little things that can be as simple as a kick-off. There's a good chance that it's gonna be downed and spotted on the 20 yard line, but there's also the chance that your player is gonna go 99 yards with it. There's something thrilling about the tension.
I'm not much of a sports fan as I used to be, but I love to watch football, especially with my dad and brother. There's a male-bonding aspect to it. We don't do much together, other than eat dinner at their house once a week or so. But by God, when football season starts, I'm at their house every week.

BTW, I also get really excited when the new Harry Potter books are released.

EC

QuoteBTW, I also get really excited when the new Harry Potter books are released.
me, too.  david sedaris, too.  same with the anticipation of new cds...

lasse

Does anyone talk about tennis from Wimbledown? ;D :D

PapaJoeBear

Interesting subject; one that I have thought about before.

I think one of the greatest things about sports is that sports are one of the few things in life in which you never know whats going to happen.  In a world where things aregetting more and more predictable, you never know what your going to get when you watch a sports game. A record could be broken. An amazing come from behind victory.  Sports are one of the only real reality events.  I always felt that jam music is the sports of music.  In fact, there was a great run of ESPN commercials back inthe day equating the NCAA basketball tourney with a greatful dead tur.

I'm not sure if I'm explaining this in a way you folks could understand.... DO you see what I'm saying?

EC

i see what you're saying papa joe.  i think it's a really interesting point, too.  

i guess live improv comedy/theatre is similar...  or, yeah.  that's interesting about jams.  they're exactly what they are right then and there and won't ever be that again, and for a while, they only existed in the minds of people who were there...  but now everybody tapes everything.

interesting...  

wellfleet

when i was a young girl, i took six years of ballet and gymnastics. i loved ballet. i loved the music and discipline and the promise of grace and agility.
my father turned me onto basketball because he loved the european game. he would let me stay up and watch the former yugoslavian team play the israeli team in the european championships. i started playing at age 10.
when we moved to canada,  got into hockey and played for my city team for 9 years. i also played basketball for the city team and in high school. i played college rugby and basketball. i was on the regional show-jumping circuit for a while. i love sports, i love pushing my body into performing extraordinary things. i think athletic feats can be spectacular to watch.

for a while, i was a hardcore, fanatical, borderline-insane NHL fan. i was obsessed. it wasn't healthy. i quit cold turkey after the playoffs one year and have been a cursory fan ever since.

i love the energy and skill of pro sports. i love seeing women and men push their human bodies to a physical peak. it's incredible to watch. but i get as, if not more, excited when i go to the ballet, the theatre, a concert, an art exhibit. because you never know what's going to happen there, either. on any given performance, a dancer can falter, or be especially brilliant. a stage actor responds to his audience, as do musical performers... it's always a treat to watch someone do something better than you can. i went to see the Nutcracker in montreal one year and the beauty of the costumes and music and the whole experience made me emotional. i also went to see Cavalia, a sort of cirque du soleil but with horses and spent the first 20 minutes crying because i was so moved...

i write, sometimes for money, and i see the truth in good writing. hell, sometimes even in poor writing.

you parents out there should encourage your kids to pursue both art and athleticism. balance, baby!

everything sucks. really.

Jaimoe

I always felt that jam music is the sports of music.  

On paper and in theory your comment makes sense... but other than that, jam music is pretty predictable  on many levels. I'm off to watch Deadwood right now, but I'll elaborate (if you want) more tomorrow.