May you finally be at peace, Syd Barrett

Started by AngryEwok, Jul 11, 2006, 03:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Angry Ewok

(CBS/AP) Syd Barrett, the troubled genius who co-founded Pink Floyd but spent his last years in reclusive anonymity, has died, a spokeswoman for the band said Tuesday. He was 60.

The spokeswoman — who declined to give her name until the band made an official announcement — confirmed media reports that he had died. She said Barrett died several days ago. She did not disclose the cause of death.

Online sources reported that Barrett died July 7 from complications from diabetes.

Barrett co-founded Pink Floyd in 1965 with Roger Waters and wrote many of the band's early songs. The group's jazz-infused rock made them darlings of the London psychedelic scene, and the 1967 album "The Piper at the Gates of Dawn" — largely written by Barrett — was a commercial and critical hit.

Ex-Beatle Paul McCartney and The Who guitarist Pete Townshend are said to be fans of his early work.

Barrett's behavior grew increasingly erratic, and he left the group in 1968. He released two solo albums — "The Madcap Sessions" and "Barrett" in 1970.

He spent much of the rest of his life living quietly in his hometown of Cambridge, England.

The band spokeswoman said a small, private funeral would be held.
--- and that's 2 real 4 u.

jrat

just about posted the same news. that crazy diamond will shine on forever
wave upon wave of demented avengers march cheerfully out of obscurity into a dream - pink floyd

SmoothOprtr

With no disrespect to MMJ, Pink Floyd is by far my favorite band.  My CD collection boasts their entire catelog and other collector type shit that hard core fans of any band seem to acquire.  Having said that, I never really though much of Piper at the Gates of Dawn.  I have heard for years about how brilliant Barrett was and how well that album was received at the time of it's release, and perhaps it was groundbreaking, but Pink Floyd was so much more skilled musically and lyrically without him.  I also have one of his solo albums (the mad cap laughs) and it's not much to write home about either.  I guess what I'm going at is while I was certainly sorry to hear that Syd has passed, particularly at such a young age, I never saw anything too brilliant about him musically.
The only two things in life that make it worth livin Is guitars that tune good and firm feelin women

sweatboard

[size=21]Why don't you just go take a big steaming shit on his grave site then.....ASS HOLE!!!!!!!!!![/size]

just kidding

There's Still Time.........