Converting to mp3

Started by aMD, Jul 17, 2006, 10:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

aMD

I'm running into a bit of trouble with the covers comp because I need to covert some of the tracks into mp3, but the program I've been using is cutting off the end of the tracks.  Anyone have any suggestions on a good, free program to use to this end?  I have EAC but haven't figured out how to convert to mp3s. Thanks in advance.

BH

So far I have figured out good programs for converting flac and .shn files to mp3.  Is this the conversion you are looking for?

Dave
I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

aMD

well, I'm trying to take the audio from a CD.  

corey

You can convert to mp3 with Itunes. The default setting is not mp3, but it can be changed and you can pick the bitrate that you want.

aMD

thanks corey.  i'll try that.

BH

Yeah, actually if you right click on a song in your Itunes list it will give you a menu with the option to "convert selection to mp3" and it will show up right below in the list and in the source folder.
I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

aMD

Okay I may just be blind and I'm missing it, but I can't figure out how to convert to mp3 with iTunes.  When I right-click it says convert to AAC not Mp3.  How do I change it?

ratsprayer

http://www.hitsquad.com/smm/programs/Cdex/

i use CDex.  you can rip directly from a cd, change from wav to mp3, etc etc.  it's really easy to use, too.

aMD

thanks for the tip rats, but I got itunes figured out now, so I'm going to use that.  Thank again for everyone's help.

aMD

okay, here's the next thing I need help with.  Anyone know of a good program for splicing large mp3s into smaller ones?  I need a few tracks for the Planetarium show.  AngryEwok said he had them, but I'm having a difficult time getting him to send them to me. Thanks again, you oh so smart peeps!

EC

i'm having the opposite problem.  i've been using the windows media player to rip to mp3s, and it doesn't make the rate high enough, so i've been giving crappy mp3s. :(  anyone know if it's possible to change the settings on that thing?  i used razorlame for a while...  guess i still could.  i think it was free, too.

corey

I don't have the all-out version of WMP, but it looks like you can only go up to 192 KBPS, which isn't very high. You may definitely want to look into something else. There's always Itunes...

aMD, I don't have any options for your question. I've never had to splice mp3s.  
I guess you could convert them to wavs and edit with most sound applications, but then the compression back to mp3 is gonna make you lose a little more quality.

cmccubbin25

Quoteokay, here's the next thing I need help with.  Anyone know of a good program for splicing large mp3s into smaller ones?  I need a few tracks for the Planetarium show.  AngryEwok said he had them, but I'm having a difficult time getting him to send them to me. Thanks again, you oh so smart peeps!

maybe try Wavepad...it is a free program...i think you can do it on that, but i dont know how to...but it is a pretty simple program to work with so it shouldn't be too hard to figure out.
Visit [url="http://www.37flood.com"]http://www.37flood.com[/url] for Louisville music news.

BH

wouldn't it be fun to print this thread out, go back in time to 1963, hand it to somebody and run.

aMD

maybe try Wavepad...it is a free program...i think you can do it on that, but i dont know how to...but it is a pretty simple program to work with so it shouldn't be too hard to figure out.

Wavepad ended up working for me.  Thanks again everyone for your help.

tomEisenbraun

Quotewouldn't it be fun to print this thread out, go back in time to 1963, hand it to somebody and run.

;D

i often think that about just about everything nowadays. i would love to put my grandfather back in the 50's on instant messenger and just be like "go"

FrankEisenbraun: Hello there, Tom. How goes it?
TomEisenbraun: not bad grampa..whats shakin?
Frank: Nothing too much. We just watched 60 Minutes.
Tom: brb
Frank: ...the hell?
The river is moving. The blackbird must be flying.