guitars for little people

Started by olwiggum, Aug 14, 2006, 10:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

corey

What do you all know about guitars for kids? Santa brought our 6-year old a little acoustic guitar last year and it sat around for a while, mostly untouched. But the little fella is going to start taking lessons this week. If he stays interested in it, I want to get him an electric guitar for Christmas.

I found a thing online that said that 5-8 year olds need a 1/2 size guitar, but I can't find that many decent 1/2 size electric guitars. I found some "mini" Squiers, but I think most of them were 3/4 size.

Do you think that will be too big? Tom, do you have any knowledge of this?

I play, but I don't know the ins and outs of how this would work for a kid.

tomEisenbraun

either 1/2 or 3/4 ought to work. and i wouldn't worry too much about it being a "great" guitar, so much as that it stays in tune and he can play it without too much trouble.

so he won't necessarily have a great guitar until his hands have biggened out for the most part, ya know?

that said, the little mini squiers are alright. especially since they're half size, which is probably ideal for him right now.
The river is moving. The blackbird must be flying.

corey

Cool. Thanks. I've seen several small guitars, but I figured a little Squier would stay in tune better than some of the ones that I;ve seen and haven't recognized the brand. And yeah, I want to get something that will stay pretty much in tune for him and have decent action. There's nothing worse than trying to play a guitar with horrible action, especially if you're just learning.

EC

ummmmmmmmmmmm
the image i have in my head right now is ... yeah it's awesome.
okay, when that little dude fucking learns how to play wordless chorus and bohemian rhapsody and he plays concerts in the living room, i am DEFINITELY making another trip to 'bam.
holy. mother. of. pearl.

MMJ_fanatic

I know one thing that really frustrated me when I was a young 'un was the action on the guitar I had--it was a pisser to fret and get clean notes which more or less kille dmy enthusiasm (until I got  my 1st electric)...
Sittin' here with me and mine.  All wrapped up in a bottle of wine.

corey

His first lesson is tonight. I'll report back when I can.

I went searching for a little electric yesterday, but didn't have much luck in town. I'll probably end up going the Ebay route.