So what do you guys do for a living?

Started by geekdork, Dec 29, 2006, 10:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FarmerYoda

Quotecook/starving artist
goddamnit
i just read this and was like "HA! COOK?! BUT STARVING?!" then i realized somebody already made that joke.
i'm SO SLOW.kJSDflkauwgaios

ycartrob

Quotewhere is "here", tracy?

What is it that you are meaning when you say "here"?

hahahah
i guess you didnt' say here. if you did, it would've made more sense.
...where do you live?

(internet creep moment)

Nashville, Tennessee

red

QuoteI work for a national television network based in Toronto. I basically monitor the quality and content of all the broadcasts of six music video channels, MuchMusic being the most famous.
Chum?

ms. yvon

QuoteI'm the program director for two radio stations. Our FM runs on an AC format, and the AM is news/talk/standards. I'm pretty much in charge of everything that gets on the air, including music. I arrange promotions, remote broadcasts, and giveaways. I produce commercials--both as a voice talent and just in terms of production. ...

I also attend Western Kentucky University, where I am persuing a bachelor's degree in English Literature.
when i was in college i worked at a commercial station, too.  i can't imagine being in school and being the program director as well.  when do you sleep?
when i've had my fill of my current career i hope to move into public radio.

my current gig:  i work as an assistant editor on a tv. show in los angeles.  i freelance, so each season often means a different show.  cool break:  i was hired as an editor for a couple of episodes this season.  neat!
"i don't mean to brag, i don't mean to boast, but we like hot butter on our breakfast toast."

Mr. T.

I work for SABAM. It's the same thing like ASCAP in America. I have to make sure our members get all the royalties they deserve.

So I have to be in contact with radio and television stations, record companys, editors, concert organisers and affiliated societies.

It's a fun job.
We are young despite the years,
we are concern,
we are hope despite the times

Jaimoe

QuoteI work for a national television network based in Toronto. I basically monitor the quality and content of all the broadcasts of six music video channels, MuchMusic being the most famous.
Chum?

Yes.

wordawg

I eat chocolate and smoke tabs and try to avoid the aresholes who masquerade as my managers.

word!
the future is Ginger

wordawg

And when I'm not doing that I seem to kill threads.

wordoh
the future is Ginger

upstatestruggler

Wordawg, good luck putting a stop to this!  Thread unraveller my eye...
I must keep the details fuzzy, since a good part of my day is spent right here. Since art projects still don't pay tha bills (or maybe I just don't have the skills- boo), I am a  financial manager at a fairly well-known college.  I push paper, cram figures into a super easily navigable financial program, and hang out with college kids all day. This affords me a)the time and b)the money to travel to where the action is-  Bonnaroo, for example; Philly and beyond for the fall tour. This is a fairly new gig for me, but it's going well enough for me to start to feel funny about welcoming people to the struggle.  Ah, screw it -Welcome to the struggle!
I see lots of scientists, communicators, and human service professionals out there- I can't be the the only grind/squid/penny pincher...can I?

too heavy for the hippies

peanut butter puddin surprise

information technology manager.  all around computer guru for a small city gov't.  five locations.  50-odd computers.  dozens of users.  mainly pretty dry but has it's moments.  everyone is really nice here.  they don't know much about computers, so that makes life easy/difficult.  easy in that I only let them do so much, and difficult because I can't get them to learn anything new.  oh well, it pays the bills.  :)
Runnin' from somethin' that isn't there

Taterbug

Sales Manager for a Steel company with about 50 employees. Our company is owned by two Sacilian brothers. I have been with them for 18 years. I started in the shop as a supervisor and worked my way up into my current position. We do all kinds of processing, Saw cutting, laser cutting, plasma cutting, sheet & plate shearing. oxy fuel up to 10" thick plate any shape. all CNC.  I also do computer aided design and machining.  Its nice working for a smaller company without 20 fucking layers of managment. If I have a problem I go directly to the man who signs my check.  The only downfall is the sacilian way, you could get yelled at and hugged within 2 minutes. I prefer holding a grudge for at least a week. ( thats the German way ).
"Things may come to those who wait, but only the things left by those who hustle" Honest Abe

Angry Ewok

Besides trying to do my own art thing... I work for Rick Rush, a Sport's Artist. You artists may recognize his name because he was sued by Tiger Woods a few years back... it was a pretty big deal, and thankfully Rick won. Anyway... I work on the positives that are used to make serigraph prints - it's the same process as silk screening a t-shirt, except on a much bigger and more expensive scale. We're working on a job for the Univeristy of Texas - a piece celebrating their victory over USC in last year's Rose Bowl. After that, we'll be working on a piece for the St. Louis Cardinal's on their winning the World Series. When I'm not working on the art, or running prints in the studio, I can also work on the inventory on the website, package orders, write out orders, etc. I can pretty much run the show if need be.

I'm also the editor/designer of a local quarterly paper. I don't really like doing it, but it's nice for a little play money.
--- and that's 2 real 4 u.

BH

QuoteBesides trying to do my own art thing... I work for Rick Rush, a Sport's Artist. You artists may recognize his name because he was sued by Tiger Woods a few years back... it was a pretty big deal, and thankfully Rick won. Anyway... I work on the positives that are used to make serigraph prints - it's the same process as silk screening a t-shirt, except on a much bigger and more expensive scale. We're working on a job for the Univeristy of Texas - a piece celebrating their victory over USC in last year's Rose Bowl. After that, we'll be working on a piece for the St. Louis Cardinal's on their winning the World Series. When I'm not working on the art, or running prints in the studio, I can also work on the inventory on the website, package orders, write out orders, etc. I can pretty much run the show if need be.

I'm also the editor/designer of a local quarterly paper. I don't really like doing it, but it's nice for a little play money.

That sounds like a pretty cool job Brad.   Let me know the details on the STL Cardinals print when you get to it.  I would be interested in that for sure.  Are they really expensive?
I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

fitzcarraldo

Wow, you guys have some cool jobs. Me, not so much.
Day Job: I have my own insurance brokerage/racket. Doin sales for 10 years I just got my own business in '05. I represent a lot of different companies, so I can usually save people money while getting them the same coverages on all types of insurance (home, life, group health, business, liabillty). That makes me feel good about what I do.

I also work for my friend Kerri Black promoting bands in NYC. & am attending audio engineering school.  :)

Angry Ewok

QuoteLet me know the details on the STL Cardinals print when you get to it.  I would be interested in that for sure.  Are they really expensive?

You can check out //RickRushArt.com for a general idea of pricing. I suggest taking a look at the Boston Red Sox piece, and the Cardinals' Pujols piece that he did recently - they are both good examples of his baseball paintings. The Vignette prints are about $20, and the larger Millennium prints are about $40. Those are printed in Nashville... The Serigraphs are the real jewel, though. They're large, hand-printed, and are about $650-800. I'll keep you up to date on that.

Alot of Jacketeers have very cool-as-heck jobs.
--- and that's 2 real 4 u.

Kory

Yea, I love reading what you guys do for your loot. Quite a diverse bunch of folks here...
Visit [url="http://www.37flood.com"]http://www.37flood.com[/url] for Louisville music news.
Also, [url="http://www.koryjohnsonphotography.com"]http://www.koryjohnsonphotography.com[/url]

dragonboy

I've been working with children for nearly 15 years now!
I have my English School here in Japan.

Used to work in a video store & before that I was a paperboy.
God will forgive them. He'll forgive them and allow them into Heaven.....I can't live with that.

red

I'm the Business Manager at a snowmobile dealership.  It's an alright job that pays really well, and my co-workers are wonderful (minus my boss).  

I also work at a music store a few evenings a week.

jacks29

i work for an executive search company. I get paid to search for candidates and companies on the Internet all day  8-)

ManNamedTruth

So what does CC do when he's not busy running this thing?
That's motherfuckin' John Oates!