Main Menu

Making a Mix

Started by littlem, Aug 01, 2008, 03:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

littlem

So I'm dragging a friend of mine to the Black Keys/My Morning Jacket at Red Rocks in a couple of weeks.  He knows almost nothing about MMJ (I consider it a gift to introduce him to the band), but wants me to make a mix for him.

Anyone have any suggestions.  I feel like they're kind of a tough band to make a mix for since they have a couple of different "sounds."  I'm debating making two separate CD's - but thought several of you have "introduced" your friends in similar ways.

DavidCrosby

...make a 12 song mix with two songs from each record and then cherry pick after that and you should be able to get an idea of what they sound like for someone...
listen to vinyl

Love Dogg

No particular order:

Cobra
Tyrone
Golden
Wordless Chorus
Off The Record
Master Plan
Dondante
Magheetah
Lowdown
Phone Went West
The Dark
Sec Walkin
Highly Suspicious
Touch Me Pt. 2
Bermuda Highway
Hopefully
Just to name a few. (I realize this is more than 12 songs, but I think Cobra is a must and in order to put that somewhere, you either have to have less than 12 songs or make 2 cds...in which you will need more than 12 songs)

I list these because you're trying to impress.  You can't quite list all your favorites because they may not appeal to a Jacket virgin.  Good luck.

"Sometimes it runs its course in a day, babe.  Sometimes it goes from night after night."

easy way

I'd let him go into Red Rocks blind...you know he's never heard a sound like the one that Jacket puts out (not to mention the live show) and after the show give him a double disc mix that will finish the job...

I enjoy seeing new bands live...being blown away...then digging deep. That's why festivals are so key.

Enjoy Morrison, CO...lucky bastard.  ;)
"the time is with the month of winter solstice, when the change is due to come..."

BH

I've come to realize, much to my chagrin, that OKONOKOS makes the biggest impact in the shortest period of time.
I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

scosby2

QuoteI've come to realize, much to my chagrin, that OKONOKOS makes the biggest impact in the shortest period of time.

i definitely agree

DavidCrosby

QuoteI've come to realize, much to my chagrin, that OKONOKOS makes the biggest impact in the shortest period of time.

i definitely agree

...made my friends all like them..

listen to vinyl

Dillsnufus

i definitely agree[/quote
Me aswell
Gazziza My Dillsnufus

TheBigChicken

QuoteI'd let him go into Red Rocks blind...you know he's never heard a sound like the one that Jacket puts out (not to mention the live show) and after the show give him a double disc mix that will finish the job...

I enjoy seeing new bands live...being blown away...then digging deep. That's why festivals are so key.

Enjoy Morrison, CO...lucky bastard.  ;)
you really need to make this happen
the fruit bats love makin' made all the kids cry

littlem

I've thought about letting him go in blind, then watching his reaction - unfortunately I can't really do that because he asked for a mix.