Main Menu

MMJ > Phish

Started by makisupa101, Jul 21, 2008, 03:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

the_wizzard

I've avoided this thread because I find it somewhat silly and, well,  ill-informed bullshit that I have heard for years.  Phish=Phish and My Morning Jacket=My Morning Jacket.  Love it, hate it, but don't be so self-righteous to think that you can value or judge another person's opinion of music.  I know a lot of wonderful people who credit Phish for putting them where they are in life (i.e. caring, creative, free-thinking people).  It is also MY personal experience that most who dish on Phish never once saw them live, ahem...just sayin'.

"I took a moment from my day
Wrapped it up in things you say
Mailed it off to your address
You'll get it pretty soon unless

The packaging begins to break
And all the points I tried to make
Are tossed with thoughts into a bin
Time leaks out my life leaks in

You won't find moments in a box
And someone else will set your clocks
I took a moment from my day
Wrapped it up in things you say
And mailed it off to you"

DaFunkyPrecedent

Phish were just in it for the money...
God damn those shaky knees.

pawpaw

I'm a fan of both bands, and I like this thread. Arguing which is better is pretty foolish, but comparing the two and talking about the similarities of what makes them great is definitely worth while. There were a few interesting points brought up here...

-Phish's popularity came from people wanting to be a part of the hippy culture that the Dead had been the center of for so long...There is something to this. A lot of young people love the idea of "the 60s" - the music, drugs, and social freedoms that flourished at that time. A teen aged kid in the 80s who wanted to feel and be a part of a group that he felt represented that spirit could go on tour with the Dead, even though he was 20 years late. Most people went to Dead shows for the GREAT music. There were also plenty of people that were there for the drugs and the spectacle of the scene, to get a taste of "the 60s". The music was improvisational, the light show psychedelic, the whole experience trippy, so it was a fun time, even if you weren't there as a fan of the music.

When Jerry died, Phish was there with a similar experience. I know plenty of people that went to shows just for the spectacle. Some of them turned into fans, and others never returned. A part of Phish's popularity came from people curious for the experience, and wanting to "belong" to the counter culture. But Phish never would've built a following and become large enough to attract the casually curious if they weren't a great band first.

-Phish is only good as a live band, while MMJ is a much more well rounded group, balancing quality in both studio recorded and live material...I think there's some truth to this also. I'll be the first to admit it - Phish has a lot of goofy lyrics. And not to say that they weren't well played and produced, but their studio albums never carried much emotional weight, at times were even comedic (which is not a bad thing). They explored more "serious" themes on later albums, but the full impact of their greatness must be experienced live, imo. And live, they are unbelievable. I'd travel across the country to lose myself in their deep grooves and ride the highs and lows of their live musical genius.

MMJ, on the other hand, has made some of the best studio albums ever, and is one of the best live shows around today, imo. The thing is, there's not one Phish album that I feel emotionally connected to. My connection to Phish is from the experiences that I've had hearing them live and the traveling with friends that I've done to see them. MMJ, on the other hand, is all about emotional connection to their albums first, and THEN their amazing live performances, imo. Jim's voice and lyrics are just so honest, and beautiful, and engaging, and the band as a whole has created these wonderful albums that I'll always turn to like old friends. All that, AND they're a phenomenal live band.

Phish is just a very different band musically, and I appreciate the two bands for totally different reasons. But they've both had big impacts on my life.

...and I can't wait for the reunion tour :D    
"I'm able to sing because I'm able to fly, son. You heard me right..."

Nectar502001

Does it really matter?

If you enjoy the shows (of either band), enjoy the shows.  If not, move along.

I do know one thing, only one of these bands is capable of selling out MSG for a multi-night run within minutes.

And they'll be back next year.

In the mean time, You Enjoy what you are listening to.

the_wizzard

QuoteI'm a fan of both bands, and I like this thread. Arguing which is better is pretty foolish, but comparing the two and talking about the similarities of what makes them great is definitely worth while. There were a few interesting points brought up here...

-Phish's popularity came from people wanting to be a part of the hippy culture that the Dead had been the center of for so long...There is something to this. A lot of young people love the idea of "the 60s" - the music, drugs, and social freedoms that flourished at that time. A teen aged kid in the 80s who wanted to feel and be a part of a group that he felt represented that spirit could go on tour with the Dead, even though he was 20 years late. Most people went to Dead shows for the GREAT music. There were also plenty of people that were there for the drugs and the spectacle of the scene, to get a taste of "the 60s". The music was improvisational, the light show psychedelic, the whole experience trippy, so it was a fun time, even if you weren't there as a fan of the music.

When Jerry died, Phish was there with a similar experience. I know plenty of people that went to shows just for the spectacle. Some of them turned into fans, and others never returned. A part of Phish's popularity came from people curious for the experience, and wanting to "belong" to the counter culture. But Phish never would've built a following and become large enough to attract the casually curious if they weren't a great band first.

-Phish is only good as a live band, while MMJ is a much more well rounded group, balancing quality in both studio recorded and live material...I think there's some truth to this also. I'll be the first to admit it - Phish has a lot of goofy lyrics. And not to say that they weren't well played and produced, but their studio albums never carried much emotional weight, at times were even comedic (which is not a bad thing). They explored more "serious" themes on later albums, but the full impact of their greatness must be experienced live, imo. And live, they are unbelievable. I'd travel across the country to lose myself in their deep grooves and ride the highs and lows of their live musical genius.

MMJ, on the other hand, has made some of the best studio albums ever, and is one of the best live shows around today, imo. The thing is, there's not one Phish album that I feel emotionally connected to. My connection to Phish is from the experiences that I've had hearing them live and the traveling with friends that I've done to see them. MMJ, on the other hand, is all about emotional connection to their albums first, and THEN their amazing live performances, imo. Jim's voice and lyrics are just so honest, and beautiful, and engaging, and the band as a whole has created these wonderful albums that I'll always turn to like old friends. All that, AND they're a phenomenal live band.

Phish is just a very different band musically, and I appreciate the two bands for totally different reasons. But they've both had big impacts on my life.

...and I can't wait for the reunion tour :D    

Very well put, bbill.  I am a little hesitant on the reunion at this point (lets hope they practice...a LOT).  However, i am excited to see Gordon rip some phunky shit on the bass at the Aladdin Theater on 8/23.....

pawpaw

Very well put, bbill.  I am a little hesitant on the reunion at this point (lets hope they practice...a LOT).  However, i am excited to see Gordon rip some phunky shit on the bass at the Aladdin Theater on 8/23.....

You know, I always thought that Mike looked like Carl's older brother...

"I'm able to sing because I'm able to fly, son. You heard me right..."

upstatestruggler

I love the phish. this is a mighty silly silly thread, though. really.
http://www.dork.tv/view/SNL+Really+With+Seth+and+Amy.html

ps- mike photographs children in tents.

too heavy for the hippies

easy way

That's it...I'm buying Carl some white hightops for X-mas. Oh, and Carl, you can tuck your jeans into them...
...if you want to, if you want to!   ;D
"the time is with the month of winter solstice, when the change is due to come..."