Happy Canada Day!

Started by red, Jun 30, 2007, 10:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

red

EC, Jaimoe and everybody else!

I know I'm a few hours early, but I'll be en route to see The White Stripes tomorrow and thought this thread needed to be made.  

SMc55

Have a good day Canadians  :)

.Walt

happy Canada  Day!!!  from your neighbor to the south  :)
Much Greater Than Science Fiction

EC

i really enjoyed my canada day.  i went to my dad's farm and took the guitar down to the pond and hung out with the dogs.  then i had a nap.  then we had a super yummy dinner and went to look at the new calves and then we made a bonfire and i went to bed early and had a great sleep.  people down the road were doing fireworks which made the donkey brae.  poor donkey, i feel that he's quite lonely.  we saw el paca's on the way up - they are super weird looking.  i'd never seen one before.  i think they're a kind of llama maybe...

whothrewthecake

Quotei really enjoyed my canada day.  i went to my dad's farm and took the guitar down to the pond and hung out with the dogs.  then i had a nap.  then we had a super yummy dinner and went to look at the new calves and then we made a bonfire and i went to bed early and had a great sleep.  people down the road were doing fireworks which made the donkey brae.  poor donkey, i feel that he's quite lonely.  we saw el paca's on the way up - they are super weird looking.  i'd never seen one before.  i think they're a kind of llama maybe...

that sound wonderful. p.s. will you bring one of those alpacas and have it waiting for us????

Jaimoe

I went to a campsite near Goderich Ontario on the shores of Lake Huron. Fun times. It was a lovely weekend and full of interesting sites and sounds. I'm surprised at how many Amish there were on the roads this past weekend on the way to Goderich - way more than normal. Rumours of a cougar in and around Goderich also had me intrigued... and it wasn't a two-legged cougar either.

red

Quoteand it wasn't a two-legged cougar either.
We've got plenty of those here.  ;D

I had my best Canada Day yet...

At about 10am, after picking up some coffee and fueling up I was en route to Saskatoon.  About three hours and plenty of sunflower seeds later, I was there and proceeded to shop for music.  The Vinyl Diner was closed, but thankfully the Vinyl Exchange pulled through for me.  I met my good friend Cory, whom I haven't seen for a few months for a delicious veggie burger and milkshake at Fuddruckers - that place makes me feel like a kid, love it.  Grabbed a Booster Juice (my plans of trying bubble tea for the first time were foiled) and met a few other friends and headed to see The White Stripes.  Went to some bar after the show and drank too many whiskey and gingers and then called it a fairly early night.  

All and all, wonderful day.  I absolutely love the drive to Saskatoon by myself, especially on a nice day, really clears a persons head.

Jenny

i have a question for all you northerners... i was thinking about history class about how we do World History and American History etc. Do you guys do CANADIAN history? It's just that I have never ever ever ever even heard Canada's name mentioned in a text book or in any of those fifty minute blocks that I must sit through five days a week...
Please know that I'm not trying to be insulting by any means. I'm honestly just curious  because there is absolutely no talk of Canada whatsoever in the Ol' Americas.

it's 3:00 in the morning and I want to go to sleep.

red

Quotei have a question for all you northerners... i was thinking about history class about how we do World History and American History etc. Do you guys do CANADIAN history? It's just that I have never ever ever ever even heard Canada's name mentioned in a text book or in any of those fifty minute blocks that I must sit through five days a week...
Please know that I'm not trying to be insulting by any means. I'm honestly just curious  because there is absolutely no talk of Canada whatsoever in the Ol' Americas.
That's a shame, but it's not at all surprising to me.  

Speaking for myself, every year of my history classes were littered with Canadian history and in grade eleven and twelve I had a class specifically titled 'Canadian History'.

Did you know that Canada is responsible for the White House being white?  We burnt that baby up and it was repainted white.

Jaimoe

Quotei have a question for all you northerners... i was thinking about history class about how we do World History and American History etc. Do you guys do CANADIAN history?

No offense intended, but every country in the world has their own history course.

It's not very interesting in the sense of civil wars and forming a nation through battles, but Canadian history is pretty interesting in a low-key kind of way. No real internal violence, just a couple of skirmishes. However, Canada had large roles in both world wars and the Korean War and we Canucks were frontrunners in forming the UN. The War of 1812 has been mostly rewritten in American textbooks, but Canada won it.

It's a shame that Amercians don't learn about the intriguing interrelationship between Canada and the US, both historically and socio-economically. Canada is by far the US's largest trading partner.

EC

i often wonder, too, why we're so apologetic about being a kind of even-keeled country.  we might not have huge balls, but we also don't have the same kind of extreme pendulum swing that other countries sometimes seem to have.  canada: the quiet (perhaps a little more well-adjusted) cousin. ;)

face, to be honest, i hardly learned any american history. :)

Jenny

No offense intended, but every country in the world has their own history course.

i knoooooooooooooooooooooowwwww...
i actually didn't evne realize i asked that question. iw asn't exactly in the right state of mind... it's a stupid question with a logical and obvious answer.

:-/