Re: Mike Vick...next stop PRISON

Started by sweatboard, Aug 22, 2007, 10:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sweatboard

I'm tired of hearing about him.  They had a poll on espn last night asking if you would want Vick as your starting quarterback after he got out of prison, it was a landslide NO!!  Hell, I wouldn't want him as my quarterback if he wasn't going to prison...HE SUCKS!!!  Seriously, he sucks as an NFL quarterback.  If he ever does play in the NFL again they are talking about him possibly returning punts and kickoffs.  I think once he get's out he should open up a kennel, just because.    
There's Still Time.........

primushead

Seriously, I wish football season would start so ESPN would have more stuff to talk about than baseball and Mike Vick.  SportsCenter has sucked real bad this summer. :P

colleen

Quoteshit am I the only one that thinks he's actually starting to look like the devil :-?

No. Definitely not. Lots of people think he's the devil. This is a big problem in many areas. Dead pitbulls are routinely found in dumpsters where I live. Punishment for this kind of barbaric behavior should be a lot more severe, IMO.

From the HSUS (ways you can help in your community, legislation issues):

http://www.hsus.org/hsus_field/animal_fighting_the_final_round/faqs_end_fighting_vick.html

Everyone has a photographic memory. Some don't have film.

Jon T.

Sportscenter is tough to watch right now.  We've got the Bonds whathaveyou in baseball, Vick in football and Donaghy the referee in basketball.  What's next cyclists doping?

Jaimoe

Mike Vick makes his brother look like a saint in comparison.

BH

I find this topic very interesting.  First of all, I want you to know, I find dog fighting disgusting and cruel.  Those responsible should be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law.

I think most people would say that celebrities and sports figures, not to mention just plain rich people, can get away with lot's of things that normal people cannot get away with.  It's not fair, but it's true.

However, there are also times, like this, when these people, particularly celebreties and sports figures, get treated worse than the average person.  I think this is the case here.  Hundreds of people every year get arrested for being involved in dog fighting.  I bet you would be hard pressed to find a single case that brought federal felony charges.  They went after him much more aggressively than they would anyone else.  I'm OK with this, because it sets a good example for those others out there that are doing the same thing or are thinking about doing the same thing.  But I can't really argue with someone who says he is being treated differently.

I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

The DARK

QuoteI think once he get's out he should open up a kennel, just because.    

;D There's an idea for criminal punishment! Make the punishment fit the crime...make M. Vick work double overtime in a kennel for a year under house arrest (in some apartment).

When prison just doesn't cut it... ;)
In another time, in another place, in another face

aMD

QuoteSeriously, I wish football season would start so ESPN would have more stuff to talk about than baseball and Mike Vick.  SportsCenter has sucked real bad this summer. :P

sportscenter always sucks during the summer.  i thought this summer was above average with the vick story, gambling/conspiracy theories in the NBA, and Bonds breaking the record.

i personally don't think we'll see vick in the nfl again, maybe arena league.  good riddance.  i agree that he's not a great QB.  and his brother's a puck too.  i hope they pop him just for good measure.

megisnotreal

i find the abuse forced on these animals appalling. my mom has an american stratfordshire terrier (pretty much a pit), so hearing all these stories made me sick to my stomach. i don't get how anyone, celebrity or not, could do something that fucking cruel to an animal.

anyway, i know this is an asshole thing to say, but i find it ironic that the name of the kennel in question is "bad newz."  (i know that's vick's nickname, but, still.)

bowl of soup

QuoteI find this topic very interesting.  First of all, I want you to know, I find dog fighting disgusting and cruel.  Those responsible should be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law.

I think most people would say that celebrities and sports figures, not to mention just plain rich people, can get away with lot's of things that normal people cannot get away with.  It's not fair, but it's true.

However, there are also times, like this, when these people, particularly celebreties and sports figures, get treated worse than the average person.  I think this is the case here.  Hundreds of people every year get arrested for being involved in dog fighting.  I bet you would be hard pressed to find a single case that brought federal felony charges.  They went after him much more aggressively than they would anyone else.  I'm OK with this, because it sets a good example for those others out there that are doing the same thing or are thinking about doing the same thing.  But I can't really argue with someone who says he is being treated differently.

Well...  The law that Ron Mexico is being prosecuted under is very new and very harsh.  So while you're right that very few have been prosecuted under these charges, the reason is that the law was only enacted in May of this year.  The new federal law makes it a felony to organize a dog fight and it was enacted because this garbage is ALOT more common than you would think.  Only someting like 12 people have been brought on charges under the law.  It seems to me that Mr. Mexico's former friends will be getting harsher treatment than Mr. Mexico himself if the reports are accurate - and Mr. Mexico was the obvious kingpin of this enterprise!

So fuck him.
I'm not saying it's easy...walking into sweet oblivion.

bowl of soup

Bad Newz is what the brothers call Newport News, VA.  Where Mr. Mexico is from.  Ron Mexico is the name that he uses when attempting to get his swerve on.

megisnotreal

QuoteBad Newz is what the brothers call Newport News, VA.  Where Mr. Mexico is from.

yeah, i know. i'm just saying the irony works on several levels.

bowl of soup

QuoteBad Newz is what the brothers call Newport News, VA.  Where Mr. Mexico is from.

Oh, the irony is delicious...like a warm prison sandwich made in a shoebox microwave.

bowl of soup

Oh, the irony is delicious...like a warm prison sandwich made in a shoebox microwave.
oh michael and bernard....a reality show in the making..the two executioners...this thread has become my own personnal albatross..fly little pelican

Nice catch - best Rome moment ever (don't listen no mo).

mjkoehler

QuoteBad Newz is what the brothers call Newport News, VA.  Where Mr. Mexico is from.  Ron Mexico is the name that he uses when attempting to get his swerve on.
god I forgot about Ron Mexico. I remember when that story first broke, all the people that tried to order the Ron Mexico NFL jersey and the NFL having to cancel all the orders.

He's a dick. I find him highly overrated, and I hope him and this entire ring that he's involved in gets some serious time/punishment.

Angry Ewok

I think Vick should have to sit through a sentencing for every dog corpse found on the property... then I think the Feds need to pin him down on gambling charges for every dog found on the property... That should put him away for good, seeing as there were apparently over 50 dog corpses found on the property, all of which were murdered.

He'll probably serve a year or less, assuming his time isn't extended committing more crimes in prison.

On the bright side, at least two more graduating classes will have been drafted to the NFL before he gets out... meaning Vick will be totally obsolete as an athlete even if a team did have the balls to give him a contract.
--- and that's 2 real 4 u.

vielfras

QuoteI find this topic very interesting.  First of all, I want you to know, I find dog fighting disgusting and cruel.  Those responsible should be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law.

You bring up a good point about how hard they are going after him.  However
The federal charges are related to transporting the dogs over state lines, among other things.  Also, I have heard on the radio that he could face separate state charges.  And the real kicker I think is the amount of money flying around.  I am sure his dogfights were pretty high stakes compared to most of these dog fighting characters.  The feds get pretty nasty when dollars are being spent and they aren't getting a cut.
When the well's dry, we know the worth of water.

LizKing531

Yeah, if you had a chance to read the court papers from the indictment - smokinggun.com  had them up for a while - Vick spent some serious cash in fights - most of the fights that the court papers cited, he lost, usually lost around $5-10,000 per fight, some where over $25000.

Its one thing to break the law, its another to break the law & suck at it

I'm not condoning dog fighting, just saying that the media plays it up like he was a powerhouse in the dogfighting world, when really Bad Newz Kennelz or whatever the fuck it was, was a deathtrap.  They were a bunch of dipshits that pretty much handed out there dogs to be slaughtered in the ring & then paid the opponent for it.

Dog fighting is cruelty, no doubt about it.  It adds another layer of dumbass ineptitude to not even properly prepare the dogs properly for something of that level.  Its like taking a knife to a gun fight.

Back to the point -

Vick's a dumbass

BH

QuoteThe feds get pretty nasty when dollars are being spent and they aren't getting a cut.

Now that makes sense!
I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

ratsprayer

cock fighting is MUCH more entertaining than dog fighting.  let's go after vick for the right reason:  he was doing something boring.  

:-/