Main Menu

I miss BBQ

Started by EC, Sep 30, 2007, 10:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

EC

This is the thread where we talk about how much we love BBQ, and why it's ridic that we only have one good place to eat it in Toronto, and how it's NOWHERE near as good, def more expensive and not the same.

Reasons why BBQ is fun:
1.  You can get an entire loaf of bread with an entire pan of brisket, 40 pounds of beans, 30 pounds of coleslaw, eat it all and then, amazingly, polish off the evening with a banana pudding.  
2.  Banana pudding deserves its own number.
3.  So does coleslaw.
4.  You get to be tres messy, and it's required.
5.  You get to talk about how sick you feel the next day, but you also feel giddy, most likely from the salt.
6.  You can watch your friend eat an entire rack of ribs and then laugh as he sweats because he's just consumed his body weight in ribs.
7.  Leftovers (although rare)
8.  There are some places in the world where BBQ is a FREE part of happy hour.
9.  There are some places in the world where happy hour is not illegal.  (These places are not Canada.)
10. Sometimes if you go somewhere for BBQ for the first time, the entire staff gets involved and welcomes you and gives you lots of meat samples to try.

-scene

Angry Ewok

BBQ and Sweet Tea are two perfectly good reasons never to leave the south... While sweet tea is pretty straight forward (well, it should be, even though some folks just don't "get it"), there's a real art to making really good barbecue.

As much as I love it, eating BBQ Ribs is always a bittersweet experience for me... The best ribs I ever had were made by John "Big Daddy" Bishop, founder of Dream Land. "Big Daddy" passed away in 1997, and BBQ has never been the same for me, especially ribs.

Even though Dream Land was sold off as a chain, and the quality of the food immediately took a face plant, I might have to get some Dream Land ribs today, just for the nostalgia.

--- and that's 2 real 4 u.

ycartrob

it's pretty much the only food where it's acceptable to strip down after eating so you can be hosed down in the back yard...

primushead

Eastern North Carolina BBQ is the best.  EVER.

whothrewthecake

banana pudding definitely deserves its own number and i proud to say that i have seen you consume a lot of it. i'm also proud of you for the sheer eating strength you displayed in texas.

corey

Meg, how did you leave sweet tea off the list. You can't really have good BBQ without sweet tea. That's a rule.

megisnotreal

bbq is delicious. i wish i had some real bbq. i make brad take me out everytime i visit b/c it is hard to find good bbq here. i hate when people think that you can just boil some pork, shred it, but some sauce on it, and call it bbq.

real bbq takes time. and it is well worth the investment. nothing quite like some good bbq and a cold beer.

or sweet tea. and beans. and corn. and coleslaw.

and good call on the banana pudding, cake. i am getting pretty hungry right now.

aMD

there's some great bbq in louisville and the surround areas.  I am a huge fan.  i like my bbq with cole slaw, sweet corn, and plenty of beer.  i think I almost prefer carolina style (mustard-based, rather than ketchup).

megisnotreal

this is how it's done.
http://www.johnnyrays.com/

those pies are so good. i wish i could get like 50 of them put together for my wedding cake.

red

There is nothing better than barbecued corn on the cob.  FACT.

primushead

Quote i think I almost prefer carolina style (mustard-based, rather than ketchup).

The mustard base is found almost exclusively in South Carolina, while Ketchup based BBQ is found in the Western part of North Carolina (basically west of Lexington).  The farther east you go, the more vinegar based the sauce gets and, thus, the closer to BBQ heaven you get.

One of the best places to get some bbq is a little place very close to Chapel Hill called Allen & Son.  It's definitely my fav.

mjkoehler

Quote i think I almost prefer carolina style (mustard-based, rather than ketchup).

The mustard base is found almost exclusively in South Carolina, while Ketchup based BBQ is found in the Western part of North Carolina (basically west of Lexington).  The farther east you go, the more vinegar based the sauce gets and, thus, the closer to BBQ heaven you get.

One of the best places to get some bbq is a little place very close to Chapel Hill called Allen & Son.  It's definitely my fav.

This also makes heavanly BBQ/Cole Slaw sandwiches.

TEO

You guys are makin' me sooooooo hungry!
"You are only as young as the last time you changed your mind" T. Leary

Angry Ewok

I had some Dream Land, today, just because of this thread. It was okay, better than what I was expecting... The day was beautiful, I had some good music and open air. No sweet tea, no bread or cole slaw, but all I needed was the BBQ ribs.

Along with the ribs, I was listening to some Band of Horses and Iron & Wine, and brain storming some new ideas for drawings... I recommend all of those ingredients.
--- and that's 2 real 4 u.

Jacket Fanatic

As much as I love it, eating BBQ Ribs is always a bittersweet experience for me... The best ribs I ever had were made by John "Big Daddy" Bishop, founder of Dream Land. "Big Daddy" passed away in 1997, and BBQ has never been the same for me, especially ribs.

Even though Dream Land was sold off as a chain, and the quality of the food immediately took a face plant, I might have to get some Dream Land ribs today, just for the nostalgia.

The original location is still owned by the Bishop family. Its really the only one keeping to tradition; ribs, sauce, and sliced white bread served on paper plates. Though I think now they have bags of chips and possibly banana pudding. For those of you not familiar with the original dreamland asking for a side of slaw, beans, fries, etc. will get you nothing but a firm slap on the wrist and some bad looks from the locals. Steer clear of the new Dreamland chain locations, not the same.

EC

Quotebanana pudding definitely deserves its own number and i proud to say that i have seen you consume a lot of it. i'm also proud of you for the sheer eating strength you displayed in texas.
thank you.  i felt really good about it.

corey, you're right.  i really got into the sweet tea this time.  i might even make a jug today.  

crazylove

Carl's Perfect Pig ; White Bluff Tennessee!   Don't let the Pepto Bismol pink and white decor fool you either!

If you go must order:  Ribs OR Pulled Pork, green beans, fried corn, mac and cheese,  greens or cooked apples.  And of course Bannana pudding for dessert(comes with Nilla Wafers)  

The BEST Sweet Tea in the world!
"You could kill someone up here and bury them in the snow! No one would ever find them!"- Penny Lane

ycartrob

Meg, how 'bout an ode to BBQ on the next CD?   ::)

tomEisenbraun

no Memphis BBQ love here?

I was born and raised there the first six years of my life, and I accept no substitutions. i tried carolina barbecue (my lady's family is from the Mt. Airy region, and her mom and dad actually met at Appalachian State - small world, huh Gregg?!). anyways, that was horribly punctuated, but Paige's mom and dad swear by the stuff. it's a religious experience, like coming home, or home coming to them. or something. anyways, it doesn't do it for me. my home is a little bit muddy, with good blues, and some sweet and mild sauce on top (right underneath the coleslaw). and sweet tea? hot damn. it's gotta be almost hummingbird food, though. otherwise, why bother?

luckily, we've got a Corky's here in atlanta in a couple spots, and though it's the same stuff, it's not quite the same as back in Memphis. but it's more than appropriate for satiating the need. and mmm, there's no fat like feeling barbecue fat. you can just sprawl on the floor with your animals and loved ones and go into a sweet tea coma.

hell yes. thank you for making me slobber a little.
The river is moving. The blackbird must be flying.