Strange Soup-related item of the day

Started by bowl_of_soup, Oct 05, 2007, 11:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bowl of soup

From CNN.com:

The Ig Nobel for nutrition went to a concept that sounds like a restaurant marketing ploy: a bottomless bowl of soup.

Cornell University professor Brian Wansink used bowls rigged with tubes that slowly and imperceptibly refilled them with creamy tomato soup to see if test subjects ate more than they would with a regular bowl.

"We found that people eating from the refillable soup bowls ended up eating 73 percent more soup, but they never rated themselves as any more full," said Wansink, a professor of consumer behavior and applied economics. "They thought 'How can I be full when the bowl has so much left in it?' "

His conclusion: "We as Americans judge satiety with our eyes, not with our stomachs."

I'm not saying it's easy...walking into sweet oblivion.

MarkW

They should try it with a beer glass.  I'd be up for that.  ;)
The trouble with the straight and the narrow is it's so thin, I keep sliding off to the side

mjkoehler

QuoteThey should try it with a beer glass.  I'd be up for that.  ;)
Hear f'n Hear!

EDIT: Corrected Here to Hear as I am butchering the good Queen's English. ;)

CC

it's soup! I bet this experiment doesn't work with regenerative steaks.

btw, you all always say 'here, here' and i always thought it was 'hear, hear'. what's the deal? i wanna know once and for all.

MarkW

I've always thought it was "hear, hear".  Wretched colonials murdering our language...

;) ;) ;)
The trouble with the straight and the narrow is it's so thin, I keep sliding off to the side

mjkoehler

QuoteI've always thought it was "hear, hear".  Wretched colonials murdering our language...

;) ;) ;)

YES! Could be that. Or I'm just in a hurry as the boss was coming.

bowl of soup

Sign me up for both the beer and steak studies - I'll let you know if it works or not.  From the Phrase finder:

Hear hear

Meaning:

A shout of acclamation or agreement.

Origin:

Originated in the British parliament in the 18th century as a contraction of 'hear him, hear him'. It is still often heard there although it is often used ironically these days.

So the Redcoats are right.  Happy July 4th!

The American Air Force also won one of these awards for the "gay bomb"  More about this here:  WASHINGTON —  The Air Force on Tuesday confirmed a report that in 1994 a military researcher requested $7.5 million to develop a non-lethal "love bomb" that would chemically alter the state of mind of enemy troops and make them want to have sex with each other rather than fight.

Don't ask, don't tell indeed...
I'm not saying it's easy...walking into sweet oblivion.

MarkW

QuoteI've always thought it was "hear, hear".  Wretched colonials murdering our language...

;) ;) ;)

You know I was joking, right?  I have to check - my irony sense seems to be misfiring recently... particularly where irony and colonials mix.

mjkoehler

;) ;) ;)

You know I was joking, right?  I have to check - my irony sense seems to be misfiring recently... particularly where irony and colonials mix.

Yep. Usually my attempts at irony and sarcasm almost always fail so don't feel bad.