Parents get homework from their child's school

Started by LizKing531, Oct 04, 2007, 12:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ycartrob

I really love this. I have had the thought before that many adults feel they come to a point in their lives where they think they will learn everything they will know. Some think that it happens around the age of 22...

MarkW

"The point, he said, is to keep parents involved in their children's ' education well into high school. Studies have shown that parental involvement improves the quality of the education a student receives, but teenagers seldom invite that involvement"

That's probably a D for punctuation...  :-?  ;)
The trouble with the straight and the narrow is it's so thin, I keep sliding off to the side

tomEisenbraun

that's wonderful. it was painful to read through the fark blog, though. as a future English teacher, this guy is pure inspiration. what a great idea.
The river is moving. The blackbird must be flying.

dragonboy

God will forgive them. He'll forgive them and allow them into Heaven.....I can't live with that.

LizKing531

Quotehttp://www.nytimes.com/2007/10/04/education/04homework.html?ex=1349236800&en=c5ab5ef851a04da8&ei=5124&partner=permalink&exprod=permalink

If you look on the black board there is a poem by Saul Williams.
Why is this relevant, you might ask? Saul Williams opened for the Jacket!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HerpGwbLSM8

Nice - good call

What shocked me about the Fark thread was how many people were totally pissed that a teacher would try something to get the parents involved in their students education.  A bunch of folks were talking about how they'd tell him to fuck off & that they raised the kids now its the teacher's job to teach them something.  

One truly bright fella sayed that if his kid's teacher did that - the only thing he'd post would be "I'm gonna sue"    WTF is that about??

bowl of soup

I write this as a dad who reads to his 4 and 2 year-old girls every night and I really can't get enough of being involved with my kids - it's the coolest thing in the world.  Nothing is better than the look on my kid's faces when they figure something out.  But...there's a chapter in the book Freakonomics called "How to be a Perfect Parent" that really deflated my balloon.  They present a compelling argument that parental invlovement is highly overrated.  It's a very interesting read.
I'm not saying it's easy...walking into sweet oblivion.

ycartrob

QuoteI write this as a dad who reads to his 4 and 2 year-old girls every night and I really can't get enough of being involved with my kids - it's the coolest thing in the world.  Nothing is better than the look on my kid's faces when they figure something out.  But...there's a chapter in the book Freakonomics called "How to be a Perfect Parent" that really deflated my balloon.  They present a compelling argument that parental invlovement is highly overrated.  It's a very interesting read.

I read that book too and found it quite interesting. However, I would not get too caught up into the statistics that say readiing to your child will not improve tests scores. School is one of the most important aspects of a young person's life, but I'd say love, trust, and safety are more important than test scores. If you love reading to your children and they also enjoy it, then by all means continue to do so.