RIP Evel Knievel

Started by ycartrob, Nov 30, 2007, 05:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ycartrob

sad news, Evel has passed on to the great motorcycle jump in the sky...

Jellyfish

RIP....he was a childhood hero of mine.Isn't that last pic you posted from the Caesar's Palace Wide World of Sports TV broadcast? He came up short and hit the safety ramp and damn near died.
The fact that my hearts beating
is all the proof you need

Jaimoe

A childhood hero of mine as well. I don't think many younger than their early 30's will really understand how big Evel was. Tough and fearless are understatements when describing Eveil. What kid didn't have some sort of Evel memorabilia? I know I had a lunchbox and a figurine.  I can't believe he didn't die in a fireball crash, the way he should have gone out in my opinion.

ycartrob

QuoteRIP....he was a childhood hero of mine.Isn't that last pic you posted from the Caesar's Palace Wide World of Sports TV broadcast? He came up short and hit the safety ramp and damn near died.

Pretty sure that's the Caesar's Palace jump. I can remember being little and waiting weeks for one of his jumps, usually televised on The Wide World of Sports on Saturdays. He was so much bigger than life and a person who truly let his actions speak louder than his words.

MarkW

RIP

My neighbour had the Evel toy with three different bikes.  I always like the moto-x one the best for jumps (I thought the rocket bike too flashy).

EK inspired me and my friends to try ridiculous ramps on my first BMX.  I must have bust my nuts on the crossbar about a hundred times between the ages of 9 and 11...

M

*married, no kids*  ;)
The trouble with the straight and the narrow is it's so thin, I keep sliding off to the side

ycartrob

QuoteRIP

My neighbour had the Evel toy with three different bikes.  I always like the moto-x one the best for jumps (I thought the rocket bike too flashy).

EK inspired me and my friends to try ridiculous ramps on my first BMX.  I must have bust my nuts on the crossbar about a hundred times between the ages of 9 and 11...

M

*married, no kids*  ;)

we used to take our Evel bikes off some sweet jumps, over creeks, strap bottle rockets to them. One guy lit his up with lighter fluid and sent him off down the street. I remember like it was yesterday.

MarkW

QuoteOne guy lit his up with lighter fluid and sent him off down the street.

Kewl!

Edit:  Those wind-up bikes were the best.  You can stick your PlayStation up your arse.

Double edit:  I never realised that the exhaust kept him from flipping on the wheelies.  I thought it was just innate toy-like balance.  *another childhood illusion ruined*

PS - I may have taken strong drink tonight...  ;D
The trouble with the straight and the narrow is it's so thin, I keep sliding off to the side

mjkoehler

Quotewe used to take our Evel bikes off some sweet jumps, over creeks, strap bottle rockets to them. One guy lit his up with lighter fluid and sent him off down the street. I remember like it was yesterday.

YES! This toy kicked ass when I was a wee lad. We lived on a hill and made him race downhill in the street.

TheBigChicken

QuoteRIP

M

*married, no kids*  ;)

we used to take our Evel bikes off some sweet jumps, over creeks, strap bottle rockets to them. One guy lit his up with lighter fluid and sent him off down the street. I remember like it was yesterday.

damn I loved Evel...Had the bike and the toy...Remember the Snake Canyon Jump...That dude had major league STONES 8-)
the fruit bats love makin' made all the kids cry

TheBigChicken

the fruit bats love makin' made all the kids cry