Hats off to Eagles' Brian Westbrook

Started by ycartrob, Dec 17, 2007, 02:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ycartrob

Hats off to Brian Westbrook of the Eagles for taking a knee at the 1 and almost guranteeing a win over the Cowboys instead of taking it in and risking giving the Cowboys the ball back with a chance at a quick score and on-sides kick.

In this day of Terrel Owens and Chad Johnsons, it's nice to see a guy take one for the team for the win and put his ego to the side. Especially in a game that the Eagles were playing solely for pride. That was refreshing.

Taterbug

Unless your football viewing is fantasy driven, and your in the playoffs down by 6 points. I can almost hear the screams of fantasy owners. I totally agree with you, he put the team 1st over his own T.D. total.
"Things may come to those who wait, but only the things left by those who hustle" Honest Abe

Jellyfish

That was the best play I have seen all year.
The fact that my hearts beating
is all the proof you need

sweatboard

I don't get why people think that was such an awesome decision.  It would have made more sense to take it in for the score.  A fumbled snap trying to run out the clock or a false start on the offense would have been more likely than the other team scoring twice at that point.  It was nice of him though I suppose.
There's Still Time.........

BH

That was refreshing!

However, at the time, I was cussing him like you wouldn't believe.  You know why?  Because of my stupid fantasy football team.  It looks like I'm going to win anyway, but I could sure use that extra six.  This is why I don't like Fantasy Football.  (However I'm sure I will keep playing year after year.)
I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

ycartrob

QuoteI don't get why people think that was such an awesome decision.  It would have made more sense to take it in for the score.  A fumbled snap trying to run out the clock or a false start on the offense would have been more likely than the other team scoring twice at that point.  It was nice of him though I suppose.

Well, here's Andy Reid's take on the decision, and I think he knows just a tad bit more about football than your no-underwear-wearing-orange-suspender-chewing ass:

"It was brilliant," Philadelphia coach Andy Reid said. "He used that Villanova education and transferred it to the football field."

sweatboard

"risking giving the Cowboys the ball back with a chance at a quick score and on-sides kick. "

and don't forget another score AFTER the onside kick.

Didn't the clock stop with the 2 min. warning, so they had three snaps to run out 2min. right.  How did that game end?  Did they turn the ball over to the other team after taking the knees or what?

I'm just confused about how that played out.

.Walt

i was watching this game. there were two plays in this game, as far as i'm concerned. two plays. one that showed selfishness and stupidity. the other showed selflessness. and intelligence.

the selfish play: I believe it was Quintin Mikell,  who intercepted Romo in the endzone. he wasn't one yard in. no no, he was eight or so yards in. there were plenty of dallas players near the goal line. but what does that idiot do? he attempts to make a big play, be a star, get on sportcenter. (you get the idea) he some how escapes the first tackler at the goal line, and some how get it to the 13, and fumbles it. I went on a rant right after.  i'm still pissed. how selfish. if i was Andy Reed at practice, i would rip on him all week. the fox crew didn't even mention anything about it.

the selfless play: what a play. brian westbrook showed that there are quality players out there still in todays game.

thank you brian westbrook
Much Greater Than Science Fiction

Jon T.

He's one of the most underrated players in the NFL if not the most.  When he is healthy he's as good as any other back playing.  In my opinion of course.

Jellyfish

QuoteI don't get why people think that was such an awesome decision.  It would have made more sense to take it in for the score.  A fumbled snap trying to run out the clock or a false start on the offense would have been more likely than the other team scoring twice at that point.  It was nice of him though I suppose.
I suppose it would have worked at as a Philly win either way but you have to understand the mentality of athletes today and know that most would never have even thought about taking a knee at the 1.It's sportscenter's highlite they think about.It's hard to fumble the ball when all you have to do is take a knee for a couple a times and run the clock out but I guess it could have happened although not likely.Neither was it likely that Dallas could have come back and scored twice if they got the ball back.I think most of us are just happy to see an unselfish act in the NFL every once in awhile.
The fact that my hearts beating
is all the proof you need

aMD

Quote"risking giving the Cowboys the ball back with a chance at a quick score and on-sides kick. "

and don't forget another score AFTER the onside kick.

Didn't the clock stop with the 2 min. warning, so they had three snaps to run out 2min. right.  How did that game end?  Did they turn the ball over to the other team after taking the knees or what?

I'm just confused about how that played out.

clock stopped at 2:00
Took a knee on 1st down running the clock down to 1:17
Took a knee on 2nd down running the clock down to :35
Took a knee on 3rd down running out the game clock

Heads up play and quite refreshing to see.

sweatboard

Ok, thank you Dylan.  It makes more sense to me now.  That's exactly what I was looking for.  I forgot that the clock kept running after he went down at the one yard line.  

Bam_Bam

And who was it that told him to? That's right....Michigan Man John Runyan  ;)
[url="//www.myspace.com/wearemurals"]www.myspace.com/wearemurals[/url]

aMD

QuoteAnd who was it that told him to? That's right....Michigan Man John Runyan  ;)

Speaking of Michigan "Men", did you see Charles Woodson get put on his ass by Antonio Pittman (OSU grad)?  It was beautiful. At first I was pissed the only game I was getting was Packers-Rams but that play made it worth it for me.   ;D ;D ;D

bowl of soup

Well, here's Andy Reid's take on the decision, and I think he knows just a tad bit more about football than your no-underwear-wearing-orange-suspender-chewing ass:

"It was brilliant," Philadelphia coach Andy Reid said. "He used that Villanova education and transferred it to the football field."

First of all, this was a great play.  For those of you who doubt the tactical brilliance of this play, just look back to last year's Cowboys/Redskins game when a very similar scenario played out with Santana Moss catching 2 very deep touchdown passes to beat the boys with an onside kick mixed in.  Gibbs was crying after the game etc...

As for Reid - he's the worst tactical coach in the NFL and list of examples is way too long for me to go into here (Last year's playoffs anyone?).  Any regular reader of Tuesday Morning Quarterback (if you're a literate football fan, you waste an hour every Tuesday reading TMQ) knows just how awful Reid's tactical decisions are week after week.  The question to ask is why was this not Reid's idea?

Cheers to you Mr. Westbrook!  Long the most underrated player in the NFL, it's nice to see him get some attention.
I'm not saying it's easy...walking into sweet oblivion.