Microsoft Zune

Started by seamus, Jun 12, 2008, 05:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hawkeye

I'm really struggling with the thought of buying one of these.
Highlights
1) Unlimited downloads (fast!!!!) for $14.95/month
2) Plays audio, video, pictures, games, etc

Lowlights
1) With the Zune Pass service (allows unlimited downloads), the music is disabled when you quit paying for the service.  It's like renting music.  I'm sure there's a way around the disabling (I've already read about a few), but still, it sounds like a hassle.  What if they quit making and supporting the Zune?  It's like throwing money away if that happens.  You can also buy music from the Marketplace (like itunes) to keep.  It won't disappear like the "subscription" music does when you quit paying, but I'd rather just buy a CD or vinyl in that case.

I'm just really really torn here.  Unlimited downloads!!! :o  My buddy just bought one and has downloaded like 600 albums in 3 days!  But as soon as he quits paying or Microsoft abandons the Zune, poof!  I also feel like if I just get flooded with unlimited music, it'll cheapen all music for me.  Like it won't be something to collect and cherish.  I DO NOT want music to be disposable.  Maybe I've just answered my own question.  Input please!  Thoughts!  Thanks in advance.
We could.

tower

I like my Zune alright...it's easy to use and is more flexible than iPoo.  I'm not really interested in the subscription service, I prefer to own my own music and Zune plays pretty much any file type out there.

The software you have to use to load songs on and off is a little quirky but getting better as they make updates to it.  I still have a song or two on my player that are not ID'd correctly and sometimes what the software shows is on your player is not exactly on your player the same way (like the album art or the id tag on it or something like that).  For example the software shows I have a bunch of songs in "unknown artist" but the player when not plugged in doesn't.  It's probably more an issue of them being tagged correctly, many of them are live from archive.org and they don't usually come tagged right.

Overall I like it and think it's one of the better players out there.
Louisville Rock and Roll
www.edgehillave.com