John Edwards

Started by ycartrob, Aug 08, 2008, 10:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thatswhatshesaid

QuoteNow don't get me wrong, I'm not condoning cheating at all.  I just feel like it's none of my business what people do after hours.  People do fucked up things. Mistakes, errors in judgment, whatever you want to call it.  Certainly I have been a victim of such things, but I am no angel either.  I do know that if I ever made marriage vows I would certainly hold them to the highest level of sacriment.  Good times, bad times, etc.  I would like to believe that such a level of commitment deserves a higher standard.

I shouldn't have even posted what I did, I mean, I try to not involve myself if these sorts of convos because there's never any sort of resolution.  But I did. So to explain: I don't care who anybody fucks and when media outlets choose to focus on these sorts of things only reminds me to what great depths our country has sunk. I mean, why do I even know who Paris Hilton is?  It's completely ridiculous to me that I have whatever modicum of information about her, about John Edwards sex life, about Brangelina's twins.... Do you see what I mean? I know, his platform was family life, I get it.  But still. If every public servant/persona (call it what you will), if everyone's life where put to a petrie dish, we'd be here all day pointing fingers.   And I said f-u to Fox News it was because the newscaster I happened to be watching at the time (because I was looking for some Olympic coverage and ended up scratching my head in wonderment) essentially he had the keys to the klink swinging in his hand because he evidently knew the paternity of this love child.  He must've been there at the conception as far as I can tell. I don't know because he didn't offer any evidence.  I just don't like certainty with which Fox News presents conclusions without offering any sort of back up.  That's all.  Now I'm gonna go back to watching Michael Phelps.  Go America!! (Especially Dara Torres!!) 8-)

yeah vespa, i wasnt saying anything negative and i agree with you that i personally dont give a fuck about what people do in their private lives. HOWEVER, if these people are going to have the power to decide what is good for me and mine, then they need to live up to the standards that they impose on me. a politician can cheat on his wife but has the audacity to tell me i cant smoke a joint? what the fuck?

capt. scotty

QuoteNow don't get me wrong, I'm not condoning cheating at all.  I just feel like it's none of my business what people do after hours.  People do fucked up things. Mistakes, errors in judgment, whatever you want to call it.  Certainly I have been a victim of such things, but I am no angel either.  I do know that if I ever made marriage vows I would certainly hold them to the highest level of sacriment.  Good times, bad times, etc.  I would like to believe that such a level of commitment deserves a higher standard.

I shouldn't have even posted what I did, I mean, I try to not involve myself if these sorts of convos because there's never any sort of resolution.  But I did. So to explain: I don't care who anybody fucks and when media outlets choose to focus on these sorts of things only reminds me to what great depths our country has sunk. I mean, why do I even know who Paris Hilton is?  It's completely ridiculous to me that I have whatever modicum of information about her, about John Edwards sex life, about Brangelina's twins.... Do you see what I mean? I know, his platform was family life, I get it.  But still. If every public servant/persona (call it what you will), if everyone's life where put to a petrie dish, we'd be here all day pointing fingers.   And I said f-u to Fox News it was because the newscaster I happened to be watching at the time (because I was looking for some Olympic coverage and ended up scratching my head in wonderment) essentially he had the keys to the klink swinging in his hand because he evidently knew the paternity of this love child.  He must've been there at the conception as far as I can tell. I don't know because he didn't offer any evidence.  I just don't like certainty with which Fox News presents conclusions without offering any sort of back up.  That's all.  Now I'm gonna go back to watching Michael Phelps.  Go America!! (Especially Dara Torres!!) 8-)

yeah vespa, i wasnt saying anything negative and i agree with you that i personally dont give a fuck about what people do in their private lives. HOWEVER, if these people are going to have the power to decide what is good for me and mine, then they need to live up to the standards that they impose on me. a politician can cheat on his wife but has the audacity to tell me i cant smoke a joint? what the fuck?

<<<pineapple __express>>>~~~~~~
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

thatswhatshesaid

HA! indeed.

capt. scotty

HA! indeed.

power 2 tha people
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

thatswhatshesaid

HA! indeed.

power 2 tha people
word!

The Drake

HA! indeed.

power 2 tha people
word!

I wasn't going to get involved in this conversation, but I have two words to offer:

LEGALIZE IT!

Penny Lane

i think most people on here would agree with you---not sure we'll see it in our lifetime, though :-[ :-[
but come on...there's nothing sexy about poop. Nothing.  -bbill

Angry Ewok

QuoteWell, I wouldnt say Im the most informed person about these types of things, but I really doubt the Top 5% are paying over 50% of this country's taxes. Just look at companies like Halliburton and Enron. If these huge corps. arent providing what they should to even maintain business, is the rest of the richy rich compensating their share? Thats hard for me to believe.

I don't know anything about how an international corporation is taxed, so you might be onto something there, but I'm talking about individual people's income taxes... I did some googling and according the the Wallstreet Journal, the top 1% pays over 40%... the top 10% are paying over 70%... That's pretty substantial, this article says its the most they've had to pay in about 40 years.

Meanwhile, the bottom 50% are only paying 3% (doesn't feel like it, though, does it?)... so looking just at the numbers coming from the IRS, its going to be hard to tax the rich any more than we already do, or to tax the poor any less than we already do (although, I'd love to give it a shot!  ;D)

I know if a group of sensible folks, like us, who aren't in any lobbyist or special interest group pockets, were to get together and try and figure out a way to bolster our economy, we'd eventually come to an agreement that could make almost everyone happy. Profit and prosperity is the American dream, right?

I say taxing people more isn't a solution, that windfall tax is an absurd concept, that corporate bailouts are absolutely criminal, and that nationalizing any industry is like economic suicide (the government can't even make a profit at a cafeteria, do we really want them taking over anything else?). I say that instead of raising taxes on oil, we should raise royalty on oil - American royalties on oil are among the lowest in the world, I think.

Quotei think most people on here would agree with you [on legalizing marijuana]---not sure we'll see it in our lifetime, though

Oh yeah, even the "official forum Republican" ( ::) :P), who doesn't smoke, is wondering why marijuana is illegal. I don't smoke the stuff, but I find potheads to be generally interesting people - alcoholics, on the other hand... I mean, is this an example of the government not wanting to legalize what they couldn't levy a tax against?
--- and that's 2 real 4 u.

ycartrob

All I ask for is the truth. Again, if John Edawrds is going to lie to his cancer stricken wife and kids, how the hell am I to trust that he is going to be truthful to me? Giving my support to someone who I know will lie to me is something I'd rather not do. But some of the responses here lead me to believe that people are OK with it. They got you right where they want you; do as I say, not as I do.

As far as wealth, there will always be poor people. However, as the gap continues to widen between the rich and poor, the next revolution will not be about race or sex, it will be about wealth. Might not happen in our lifetime, but it will happen. Money and power corrupt, but so does lack of money and power. Then again, people do good things with money and power, and people without do the same.

Do something good for your fellow man today. here's a link to a friend of mine's web site:  http://www.coolpeoplecare.org/

Angry Ewok

QuoteAll I ask for is the truth.

I'm sick and tired of hearing things
From uptight, short-sighted, narrow-minded hypocritics
All I want is the truth
Just gimme some truth
I've had enough of reading things
By neurotic, psychotic, pig-headed politicians
All I want is the truth
Just gimme some truth

No short-haired, yellow-bellied, son of tricky dicky
Is gonna mother hubbard soft soap me
With just a pocketful of hope
Money for dope
Money for rope

With just a pocketful of soap
Money for dope
Money for rope

I'm sick to death of seeing things
From tight-lipped, condescending, mama's little chauvinists
All I want is the truth
Just gimme some truth now

I've had enough of watching scenes
Of schizophrenic, ego-centric, paranoiac, prima donnas
All I want is the truth now
Just gimme some truth

With just a pocketful of soap
It's money for dope
Money for rope

Ah, I'm sick and tired of hearing things
From uptight, short-sighted, narrow-minded hypocrites

I've had enough of reading things
By neurotic, psychotic, pig-headed politicians

All I want is the truth
Just gimme some truth
All I want is the truth
Just gimme some truth

QuoteMoney and power corrupt, but so does lack of money and power. Then again, people do good things with money and power, and people without do the same.

"Let me give you a tip on a clue to men's characters: the man who damns money has obtained it dishonorably; the man who respects it has earned it.

"Run for your life from any man who tells you that money is evil. That sentence is the leper's bell of an approaching looter. So long as men live together on earth and need means to deal with one another--their only substitute, if they abandon money, is the muzzle of a gun.

"But money demands of you the highest virtues, if you wish to make it or to keep it. Men who have no courage, pride or self-esteem, men who have no moral sense of their right to their money and are not willing to defend it as they defend their life, men who apologize for being rich--will not remain rich for long. They are the natural bait for the swarms of looters that stay under rocks for centuries, but come crawling out at the first smell of a man who begs to be forgiven for the guilt of owning wealth. They will hasten to relieve him of the guilt--and of his life, as he deserves.

"Then you will see the rise of the men of the double standard--the men who live by force, yet count on those who live by trade to create the value of their looted money--the men who are the hitchhikers of virtue. In a moral society, these are the criminals, and the statutes are written to protect you against them. But when a society establishes criminals-by-right and looters-by-law--men who use force to seize the wealth of disarmed victims--then money becomes its creators' avenger. Such looters believe it safe to rob defenseless men, once they've passed a law to disarm them. But their loot becomes the magnet for other looters, who get it from them as they got it. Then the race goes, not to the ablest at production, but to those most ruthless at brutality. When force is the standard, the murderer wins over the pickpocket. And then that society vanishes, in a spread of ruins and slaughter.

"Do you wish to know whether that day is coming? Watch money. Money is the barometer of a society's virtue. When you see that trading is done, not by consent, but by compulsion--when you see that in order to produce, you need to obtain permission from men who produce nothing--when you see that money is flowing to those who deal, not in goods, but in favors--when you see that men get richer by graft and by pull than by work, and your laws don't protect you against them, but protect them against you--when you see corruption being rewarded and honesty becoming a self-sacrifice--you may know that your society is doomed. Money is so noble a medium that is does not compete with guns and it does not make terms with brutality. It will not permit a country to survive as half-property, half-loot.

Angry Ewok

I can't find anything to explain why marijuana can't be legalized, though.

:-/

thatswhatshesaid

Quotei think most people on here would agree with you---not sure we'll see it in our lifetime, though :-[ :-[
i have a friend that is working on that.

www.mpp.org

The Drake

Quotei think most people on here would agree with you---not sure we'll see it in our lifetime, though :-[ :-[

www.mpp.org

He or she is fighting the good fight.  I wish I could be more active, but it is illegal afterall.

thatswhatshesaid

www.mpp.org

He or she is fighting the good fight.  I wish I could be more active, but it is illegal afterall.
their are perfectly legal and legitimate ways to be active through the MPP. check out their website.

MMJ_fanatic

QuoteSomething about this guy always creeped me out, sort of like
a slick, used car salesman. Screwing another woman while
your wife is battling cancer? Doesn't he lose his privilege of
saying anything about anything in the public spot light,
forever? Ridicuolus; and incredibly sad for his wife and children.

The things people do...

Oh no never, we can never cast judgements on anyones behavior.  Don't you know there is no good or bad nowadays?  If you feel like doing it and it feels good--go for it.  
Sittin' here with me and mine.  All wrapped up in a bottle of wine.

MMJ_fanatic

PS: F-You, Fox News!

What the hell do they have to do with this?!?  They put a gun to Edwards head and made him bang that video vixen while his wif was puking from chemo?  Don't think so.

MMJ_fanatic

Quotedemocrats are philanderers and republicans are closeted homosexuals or KKK members....NEXT

Guess you never heard of the DEMOCRAT Robert "KKK" Bird?

upstatestruggler

it kinda bothers me that all anyone has to do these days is say that they are sorry- and you don't really have to be it, or even act it, for that matter, just say it!- and everything is all good.

a shitty message for the kids, if you ask me. 'sure, junior! make fun of the poor kids when their stomachs growl in class and make sure you point out that their clothes are out of date and smell bad. just remember to say you're sorry in the principal's office.'

too heavy for the hippies

wss

Quotedemocrats are philanderers and republicans are closeted homosexuals or KKK members....NEXT

Guess you never heard of the DEMOCRAT Robert "KKK" Bird?

the dixiecrats/democrats of yesteryear are the republicans of today.  look how the south votes.  it isn't blue anymore.