My Generation is Falling Apart

Started by The_DARK, Aug 24, 2008, 11:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The DARK

QuoteWhile I was taking an interview recently, I was often asked to describe what I thought of my generation. While I was thinking, I finally started to get a grip on why I feel so disconnected from my culture.

Emotionally and physically, we are the weakest generation yet. Kids these days can't deal with problems, and more importantly, don't want to. They can't accept the fact that they are going to have to deal with actual emotions at some point in their lives (read: the emo movement). And when the issue comes up of what we are going to do about our government, the overwhelming answer is: "move to Europe". The difference between Iraq and Vietnam is that with Iraq, people stopped caring after about Really, my generation is in a state beyond pessimistic where they come up against a hurdle and don't even try to get over it, choosing to just sit there. And also, they've forgotten what it means to really have a good time. No more Friday nights out wherever, they'd rather be at home watching other people live their lives on TV (you may see me on here a bit less over the next few weeks as I try to get out more).

Not trying to make this an ignorant rant, I just figured I'd give a perspective from someone who's growing up with this generation.
Sorry to burst your bubble, but every generation either feels this way or is looked upon this way at one time or another. There are minority movements in every generation that naysayers and doom-n-gloomers point at as evidence of a crumbling society.

-In the 60s the future was doomed because of flower power and psychadelics.

-In the 70s coke and disco (or the emergence of heavy metal/rock music) were downright debauchery and were definitive proof that kids just didnt get it.

-In the 80s punk rock took hold. Ronald Reagans head adorned dartboards everywhere, people were terrified of the emergence of the AIDS virus, and youth responded with outright apathy.

-In the 90s...well, I dont know if we can point to one definitive trend of the 90s...you had some neo-hippies, a re-emergence of militant minority groups on college campuses, the fight for gay rights really picked up. In any case, it scared the ol' timers and the future was, again, rightly fucked. I dunno, check out the movie Higher Learning for a crash course; I assure you, looking back its every bit annoying as the trends of the 60s, 70s, etc etc.

So where does that leave todays kids? I dunno. They are definitely coddled more than previous generations. You could also make the argument that they are more educated. Im only out of high school 8 years, but in talking with my wife (who is a high school teacher), my high school education pales in comparison to the stuff these kids are learning today. And while technology is making life easier than ever, many kids are growing up quicker than ever. Divorce rates continue to climb after plateauing in the late 90s. The average age of an American soldier is still 21 years old. We're bringing home veterans of a foreign war at the highest rates since the early 70s. I dare anyone to tell those brave souls that their generation is a bunch of whiney, pale nihilists.  And while these things arent necessarily "good" experiences they often serve to build someones character and mold them as adults, so long as they have appropriate support structures in place to help the. Businesses, both "E" and traditional brick and mortar, are being started at younger and younger ages. These are all signs that the world, despite what Gerard Way will tell you, is not ending.  

Finally, you cant point to the Emo trend as a reason or cause is falling apart. It is a trend, BTW, and not a movement. Im sorry, I refuse to call it a movement, the word movement assumes there is a destination and there is no discernable destination in Emo. Unless its producing crappy music and getting men to wear womens jeans. In which case, "Mission Accomplished!". Its just how kids are expressing themselves these days. Nearly every kid rebels in one way or another, through music, drug experimentation, breaking curfew, dating and sexual expression. The truth is once they get to college most of that stuff fades away as kids find themselves. And for those who dont and stay fixated on that stuff; hey, we need them too, it gives mental health professionals like myself something to do.

Cheer up, your generation precisely where they are supposed to be.

BTW, if you want to talk about the differences between Iraq and Vietnam you're going to have to start another thread. Ive already blathered out too much here and theres no way I could stay under the character limit.

Fair enough points. But I'm not really going by trends-by-decade here. I'm a kid. I try to have fun all the time. But that's not what I'm getting at at all. In fact, I'm talking about the opposite. You hear stories from each generation about kids who "rebel" and live by their own rules (or at least that of the culture). True, they all got over it eventually and got their shit together. But at least they knew that something was wrong with society. And they had both the energy and misinformation about it to do something, whether it was breaking the law or living in a commune. You don't see that anymore. Kids these days don't have the guts to stand up to authority. I saw people in my math class last year panic when a teacher started shouting at them. In fact, you don't even see people having fun anymore. You're right about emo; it is more of a trend, and I don't see it staying very long (though I'm not optimistic about what will come after it). My point about emo is that it's a sign of the times. They feel miserable because they can't deal with the basic truths in life, and just hang around having a bad time. Every one of them needs a big slap in the face. We were spoiled during the 90's, and we're regretting it now.

I'm the opposite of a doom-and-gloomer; I'm looking for something resembling culture.

And yes, Iraq and Vietnam are two extremely different wars. But the result is the same. The kids that are most disconnected with the war go out to Washington to protest. Only with Iraq, they give up and go home when nothing happens after about a week.
In another time, in another place, in another face

YouAre_GivenToFly

I'm the opposite of a doom-and-gloomer; I'm looking for something resembling culture.

And yes, Iraq and Vietnam are two extremely different wars. But the result is the same. The kids that are most disconnected with the war go out to Washington to protest. Only with Iraq, they give up and go home when nothing happens after about a week.

There's plenty of culture out there man. Stop looking for it, and get out and experience it.

The result of Iraq has yet to be seen, but the Iraqi vets aren't getting spat upon when they arrive home like the Vietnam vets were. Many of them are good troops and believe in their mission. They don't "give up".
The wind blew me back, via Chicago, in the middle of the night.

Jenny

QuoteThis current generation, no offense to you Dark and Face, has a sense of entitlement that needs to be stopped. They want everything handed to them and that really bothers me. And for the most part they are coddled.

i don't disagree! i'm probably very entitled at some points, regarding some things, and every time i realize it, or someone points it out to me, i feel like a piece of shit.

but i'm doing what i'm doing and i'm fine with the way i am. i'm growing up, and learning, and eventually i'll be a real person that hopefully will not be considered "entitled" or spoiled by any means.
even my boyfriend, who's  22 (5 years older than me), will point it out to me. i've actually asked him to, even though it kinda sucks when he does. it's never anything bad, just leaving the light on or the kitchen cabinets open, but i'll always feel horrible and like a CHILD. so i'm quickly becoming more aware of it. it's the worst feeling when you recognize it. it could be how we were raised or just a dominance issue, but either way...

i think that's as entitled as i get, though. i'm not sure it's anything more... erm... spoiled (for lack of a better word) than that. at least i hope not.

i wonder if it's okay to hate... everyone.

huh.

The DARK

There's plenty of culture out there man. Stop looking for it, and get out and experience it.

The result of Iraq has yet to be seen, but the Iraqi vets aren't getting spat upon when they arrive home like the Vietnam vets were. Many of them are good troops and believe in their mission. They don't "give up".

Not referring to the vets, but to the protesters. I have immense respect for those fighting the war.

And I'm having a perfectly good time right now; I'm really happy with where my life is going. I'm just giving my two cents as to the way I feel that the rest of America is at this point.

The DARK

QuoteThis current generation, no offense to you Dark and Face, has a sense of entitlement that needs to be stopped. They want everything handed to them and that really bothers me. And for the most part they are coddled.

True, and I hate the feeling I get when I realize that I didn't do anything to deserve what I have. On the contrary, it feels so good to make or earn something and know that it is yours. Kind of like writing music.

YouAre_GivenToFly

QuoteIt feels so good to make or earn something and know that it is yours.

True. More people need to realize this rather than hoping for handouts, especially in the coming months.
The wind blew me back, via Chicago, in the middle of the night.

ycartrob

A huge diffence in Vietnam and Iraq is the draft. We have a voluntary armed service now, but back then, people were "selected" to serve. Big difference in public reaction when people choose to serve rather than being "forced" to serve.

Plus, as a nation we have become desensitized to violence. Vietnam was the first war where day by day you could see the gruesome pictures of war. Now, our nation glorifies war and killing and blood and guts. It's on TV and movies and video games, it's everywhere, and, it has its effects. What's the news mantra? If it bleeds, it leads.

sweatboard

QuoteA huge diffence in Vietnam and Iraq is the draft. We have a voluntary armed service now, but back then, people were "selected" to serve. Big difference in public reaction when people choose to serve rather than being "forced" to serve.

Plus, as a nation we have become desensitized to violence. Vietnam was the first war where day by day you could see the gruesome pictures of war. Now, our nation glorifies war and killing and blood and guts. It's on TV and movies and video games, it's everywhere, and, it has its effects. What's the news mantra? If it bleeds, it leads.

It's good that there was no draft, but then again, it just means that the Powers That Be are evolving.

?Are We
There's Still Time.........

j_rud

QuoteIt feels so good to make or earn something and know that it is yours.

True. More people need to realize this rather than hoping for handouts, especially in the coming months.
Are you talking about personal responsibility? I dont think people are ready for that one. Far out concept man...far fucking out... :D
Say friend, you got any more of that good sasparilla?

getinthevan

I know exactly what you mean.  I've been aware of this within my generation for some time now.  I like to think that I don't act that way.  Sure, I would like to have everything handed to me, but I am well aware of the fact that I'm going to have to work my ass off to get someplace in life.  It's a much more rewarding experience if I work hard to get something, unfortunately, many of my peers don't feel that way.  

I spent the weekend with my 15 year old sister and 3 of her friends.  Plus they have been around the house a lot lately (a price to pay for still living at home, I guess).  I've been trying to observe the differences in how I was at that age and how they act.  I like to think I wasn't that obnoxious...  I guess instead of listening to and singing along with pop music, we were listening to and singing along with heavy metal.  My parents probably hate both equally.
4 15 YO's? That requires a drink on your part.

Yes, a few beers were drank.  
The Earth Is Not A Cold Dead Place

the_wizzard

The world is going to do what the world is going to do; Are you going to do what you're going to do?

Well, that is hands-down the best advice for anyone in any generation.  Being in the retail world, I hire and work with a lot of 20 year-olds.  And I am not alone in watching a dramatic switch in work ethic and expectations with this current generation.  But after talking with my 23 year-old assistant (who has an amazing work ethic, who is a techie-geek but is not a rabid consumer, who does not need to be coddled or expect a reward for showing up on time, and is awesome all around) I found the problem.  Dioramas!  He didn't even know what I was referring to when I compared merchandising skills to those who excelled at dioramas.  Kids these days need more diorama assignments.

ps.  I am only half joking here...I remember LOVING my diorama exhibits in grade school  ;D

getinthevan

I don't recall ever having to make a diorama in school but I am aware of their existence.  

the_wizzard

Well, I am sorry for that!  I think dioramas are the best!  And unfortunately, a lost educational art (actually, I googled diorama's and see that there is a resurgance....I guess it is considered kitschy-cool).

Jenny

i made a great diorama when i was in elementary school! i don't remember what book it was for, but it was two kids in a space ship with the earth below them and clouds and blah blahblhablhablahbalh it was sooooooooo coooooooooooooool yeeeeaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

ycartrob

man, my big brother's dioramas were epic! He did one of Middle Earth when they read The Hobbit and also of The Battle of Gettysburg. I was like 8 and he was 13, and maaaaan, it was bad ass!

seriously, I have not thought of dioramas in about 30 years! I never made one, but I did create the solar system (back when Pluto was representin'   >:( ) out of styrofoam balls, string, paint, and liquor boxes. I got like a C b/c I somehow lost Neptune on the way to school...

Jenny

i also did an inuit village for my brother, 'cos he was no good with that stuff.
he was 13 i was 11. it was awesome. he got a check + +. but realy i got a check + +

getinthevan

I also made the solar system out of styrofoam balls, string, and paint!  I don't remember there being any liquor boxes involved though.

I also made a working model of a lock (section of canal) while doing a research project on the Soo Locks in 4th grade.  

It was those hands-on projects that were the most rewarding.  Fuck writing papers.

ycartrob

Quotei also did an inuit village for my brother, 'cos he was no good with that stuff.
he was 13 i was 11. it was awesome. he got a check + +. but realy i got a check + +

Hi Face!

My mom did my dry-mount insect collection in 8th grade b/c I was "unfocused". I got a D b/c I was supposed to have 20 insects and only had 12.  :-/

Jenny

HI TRACY!
I'm sorry about your D. That's a total bummer.

Man oh man i forgot about all of this - I had the golden gate bridge, once! it stretched about 3 feet, i had little hot wheels cars, and little lego people in boats underneath the bridge swimming and stuff too and alligators, but i dont' think that makes sense...
hten i had a spine that my step dad did for me (he's a surgeon) and i (he) made it form apoxy and foam and wood and white and...
ok i'm done.

ycartrob

I think my favorite project was done by my way-too-stoner-friend Trer. He made what he called Martian Colony for the 10th grade science fair. Basically, it was a big, metal salad bowl turned upside down on a table, with a sign next to it that said Martian Colony. When the teacher turned the bowl over, Trer yelled "NNNoooooooo!!!! What are you doing? Oxygen evaporates the whole colony!" (of course, there was nothing under the bowl). Trer got a D- and eventually failed out of high school and got 2 paper routes and a night job at the Beer Barn. One night, he sacrificed his trusty bong named Irving into a bonfire; he had a whole ritual and everything, totally off the cuff. Then his little brother climbed waaaaaaaay up into a tree and was hanging from 1 arm and then with his knee wrapped around a branch, freaking al the girls out, who threw all their Malt Duck bottles into the field, and we had to go get them the next day b/c K-Bob's stepdad (my godfather) yelled at us. The we smoked what we believed to be hash, and it was. Listened to Jimi Hendrix War Heroes...    1980