My Generation is Falling Apart

Started by The_DARK, Aug 24, 2008, 11:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The DARK

While I was taking an interview recently, I was often asked to describe what I thought of my generation. While I was thinking, I finally started to get a grip on why I feel so disconnected from my culture.

Emotionally and physically, we are the weakest generation yet. Kids these days can't deal with problems, and more importantly, don't want to. They can't accept the fact that they are going to have to deal with actual emotions at some point in their lives (read: the emo movement). And when the issue comes up of what we are going to do about our government, the overwhelming answer is: "move to Europe". The difference between Iraq and Vietnam is that with Iraq, people stopped caring after about Really, my generation is in a state beyond pessimistic where they come up against a hurdle and don't even try to get over it, choosing to just sit there. And also, they've forgotten what it means to really have a good time. No more Friday nights out wherever, they'd rather be at home watching other people live their lives on TV (you may see me on here a bit less over the next few weeks as I try to get out more).

Not trying to make this an ignorant rant, I just figured I'd give a perspective from someone who's growing up with this generation.
In another time, in another place, in another face

Penny Lane

thanks, dark. that's why it's good that there are still some kids/teens like you left who can be leaders  :)...
but come on...there's nothing sexy about poop. Nothing.  -bbill

Angry Ewok

Ask yourself... if you teleported into the 1600's, what sort of knowledge do you possess today that could revolutionize their world? Or would you be considered a moron without the high speed internet, computers, and automobiles?

Food for thought... you do the dishes.
--- and that's 2 real 4 u.

megalicious

i feel you, dark.

i mean, it seems like the only thing my generation will be known for is our collective purchasing power and unending need for instant entertainment.
all facts begin as dreams dreamt by the wizard

mjkoehler

I think every generation thinks that at some point  :-/ I feel your pain and it's good that you are thinking about it. Now the question is, what are you going to do about it.

Hell, I'm part of Generation X, yet I don't consider myself to be a slacker misinthrop that are usually associated with that generation. I hate that anytime they show stories on youth and they always show clips of Gen X'ers they show kids from the Grunge era, fawning over Kurt, and generally being a lay about. Yeah I dressed in flannel and hated shit (still do actually), but I was an honor student in High School and work my ass off. I think journalists forget Gen X'ers were born from 1964 to about 1980. There is a lot more to show from my Generation then the candlelight vigils when Kurt Cobain commited suicide.

getinthevan

I'm 21 now.  I remember being 12 years old, sitting in my friend's basement downloading songs on Napster with dial-up.  At that point in time I never imagined being able to download literally anything you could possibly want in a matter of minutes with the click of a button.  We've turned into a society of people who want instant gratification and instant results.  Soon, instant won't be fast enough.  
The Earth Is Not A Cold Dead Place

The DARK

QuoteAsk yourself... if you teleported into the 1600's, what sort of knowledge do you possess today that could revolutionize their world? Or would you be considered a moron without the high speed internet, computers, and automobiles?

I've thought about this a lot, and most of the people I know (including myself) need to get more practical experience in the real world.

My rant isn't necessarily targeting the consumerist culture that we're living in. I don't have a problem with the internet. The problem I'm having is that people are starting to use it as a substitute for real life. I've been listening to early Springsteen recently (first 2 albums), and it occurs to me that all the characters in those albums are all about my age, and no one I know lives that kind of life anymore. I read somewhere that the average American spends 3 hours a day in front of the television. If people really are interested in the lives that people live on TV, then why aren't they going out and living it themselves? It baffles me.  :-?

ycartrob

QuoteAsk yourself... if you teleported into the 1600's, what sort of knowledge do you possess today that could revolutionize their world? Or would you be considered a moron without the high speed internet, computers, and automobiles?

I've thought about this a lot, and most of the people I know (including myself) need to get more practical experience in the real world.

My rant isn't necessarily targeting the consumerist culture that we're living in. I don't have a problem with the internet. The problem I'm having is that people are starting to use it as a substitute for real life. I've been listening to early Springsteen recently (first 2 albums), and it occurs to me that all the characters in those albums are all about my age, and no one I know lives that kind of life anymore. I read somewhere that the average American spends 3 hours a day in front of the television. If people really are interested in the lives that people live on TV, then why aren't they going out and living it themselves? It baffles me.  :-?

you're asking all the right questions (IMO). I would challenge you on the notion that people using the internet isn't real life; everything you experience is real life. Maybe that's not what you meant, I don't know.

I have a very close friend from Cambodia who is Buddhist. He challenges me with this:

The world is going to do what the world is going to do; Are you going to do what you're going to do?

think about it.

And as far as advice goes? Travel. Especially if you are young and especially if you are single. TRAVEL

ycartrob

Check out this interview with Kalle Lasn (Adbusters) who talks about his journey to what he loves to do and he gives his opinion about what is wrong with generation X and Y, basically not engaging the physical environment and lacking spiritual connection (and by spiritual, community would fit). -from Roadtrip Nation:

http://www.roadtripnation.com/watch_interview.php?interview_id=206&roadtrip_id=7&roadtrip=RTN%202006&team=Canada%20Team

also, check out some of the other interviews, great stuff

weeniebeenie

I find that Generation Y can be very ignorant. I remember talking to a girl in school last year with about the Live Earth Concerts. She had gone to them and I asked her what she did to contribute to to a greener earth. She replied "Nothing, it's too much of a hassle." And I found that a lot of people in my class had the same view.
How loud can silence get?

Angry Ewok

Quote"Nothing, it's too much of a hassle."

I take it she's the type to toss shit out of the car window. I hate litterbugs.
--- and that's 2 real 4 u.

The DARK

Well once they manage to see how expensive bottled water actually is...

j_rud

QuoteWhile I was taking an interview recently, I was often asked to describe what I thought of my generation. While I was thinking, I finally started to get a grip on why I feel so disconnected from my culture.

Emotionally and physically, we are the weakest generation yet. Kids these days can't deal with problems, and more importantly, don't want to. They can't accept the fact that they are going to have to deal with actual emotions at some point in their lives (read: the emo movement). And when the issue comes up of what we are going to do about our government, the overwhelming answer is: "move to Europe". The difference between Iraq and Vietnam is that with Iraq, people stopped caring after about Really, my generation is in a state beyond pessimistic where they come up against a hurdle and don't even try to get over it, choosing to just sit there. And also, they've forgotten what it means to really have a good time. No more Friday nights out wherever, they'd rather be at home watching other people live their lives on TV (you may see me on here a bit less over the next few weeks as I try to get out more).

Not trying to make this an ignorant rant, I just figured I'd give a perspective from someone who's growing up with this generation.
Sorry to burst your bubble, but every generation either feels this way or is looked upon this way at one time or another. There are minority movements in every generation that naysayers and doom-n-gloomers point at as evidence of a crumbling society.

-In the 60s the future was doomed because of flower power and psychadelics.

-In the 70s coke and disco (or the emergence of heavy metal/rock music) were downright debauchery and were definitive proof that kids just didnt get it.

-In the 80s punk rock took hold. Ronald Reagans head adorned dartboards everywhere, people were terrified of the emergence of the AIDS virus, and youth responded with outright apathy.

-In the 90s...well, I dont know if we can point to one definitive trend of the 90s...you had some neo-hippies, a re-emergence of militant minority groups on college campuses, the fight for gay rights really picked up. In any case, it scared the ol' timers and the future was, again, rightly fucked. I dunno, check out the movie Higher Learning for a crash course; I assure you, looking back its every bit annoying as the trends of the 60s, 70s, etc etc.

So where does that leave todays kids? I dunno. They are definitely coddled more than previous generations. You could also make the argument that they are more educated. Im only out of high school 8 years, but in talking with my wife (who is a high school teacher), my high school education pales in comparison to the stuff these kids are learning today. And while technology is making life easier than ever, many kids are growing up quicker than ever. Divorce rates continue to climb after plateauing in the late 90s. The average age of an American soldier is still 21 years old. We're bringing home veterans of a foreign war at the highest rates since the early 70s. I dare anyone to tell those brave souls that their generation is a bunch of whiney, pale nihilists.  And while these things arent necessarily "good" experiences they often serve to build someones character and mold them as adults, so long as they have appropriate support structures in place to help the. Businesses, both "E" and traditional brick and mortar, are being started at younger and younger ages. These are all signs that the world, despite what Gerard Way will tell you, is not ending.  

Finally, you cant point to the Emo trend as a reason or cause is falling apart. It is a trend, BTW, and not a movement. Im sorry, I refuse to call it a movement, the word movement assumes there is a destination and there is no discernable destination in Emo. Unless its producing crappy music and getting men to wear womens jeans. In which case, "Mission Accomplished!". Its just how kids are expressing themselves these days. Nearly every kid rebels in one way or another, through music, drug experimentation, breaking curfew, dating and sexual expression. The truth is once they get to college most of that stuff fades away as kids find themselves. And for those who dont and stay fixated on that stuff; hey, we need them too, it gives mental health professionals like myself something to do.

Cheer up, your generation precisely where they are supposed to be.

BTW, if you want to talk about the differences between Iraq and Vietnam you're going to have to start another thread. Ive already blathered out too much here and theres no way I could stay under the character limit.
Say friend, you got any more of that good sasparilla?

mjkoehler

This current generation, no offense to you Dark and Face, has a sense of entitlement that needs to be stopped. They want everything handed to them and that really bothers me. And for the most part they are coddled.

ycartrob

QuoteThis current generation, no offense to you Dark and Face, has a sense of entitlement that needs to be stopped. They want everything handed to them and that really bothers me. And for the most part they are coddled.

I would agree to that, for the most part.

But what it made me think of (for some reason) is how this generation has to stay "connected" to each other. I am thinking of the whole cell phone/picture taking/texting crap that goes on during concerts. How can that not "cheapen" the experience? Let's say you saw The Clash in 1980; no cell phones, no cameras, etc...  Now, fast forward to the MMJ show in Dallas. Watch the video of Erykah Badu singing Tyrone and look at all the cell phones of people blasting pics and videos. Was The Clash show in '80, minus all the technology better than the MMJ show? It's like if you don't see it on a video or picture, it's like it never happened? Is that it? Or, isn't life great that I got to see the video of yrone and I wasn't at the show? Or is taking pictures and video improve the experience? I don't know, but I do know I went to a couple of shows and took pics/videos but I don't anymore b/c I miss the connection with the band playing. Make sense? This might deserve a new thread (sorry)

getinthevan

QuoteThis current generation, no offense to you Dark and Face, has a sense of entitlement that needs to be stopped. They want everything handed to them and that really bothers me. And for the most part they are coddled.

I know exactly what you mean.  I've been aware of this within my generation for some time now.  I like to think that I don't act that way.  Sure, I would like to have everything handed to me, but I am well aware of the fact that I'm going to have to work my ass off to get someplace in life.  It's a much more rewarding experience if I work hard to get something, unfortunately, many of my peers don't feel that way.  

I spent the weekend with my 15 year old sister and 3 of her friends.  Plus they have been around the house a lot lately (a price to pay for still living at home, I guess).  I've been trying to observe the differences in how I was at that age and how they act.  I like to think I wasn't that obnoxious...  I guess instead of listening to and singing along with pop music, we were listening to and singing along with heavy metal.  My parents probably hate both equally.
The Earth Is Not A Cold Dead Place

YouAre_GivenToFly

OBAMA! OBAMA! OBAMA!
The wind blew me back, via Chicago, in the middle of the night.

mjkoehler

I know exactly what you mean.  I've been aware of this within my generation for some time now.  I like to think that I don't act that way.  Sure, I would like to have everything handed to me, but I am well aware of the fact that I'm going to have to work my ass off to get someplace in life.  It's a much more rewarding experience if I work hard to get something, unfortunately, many of my peers don't feel that way.  

I spent the weekend with my 15 year old sister and 3 of her friends.  Plus they have been around the house a lot lately (a price to pay for still living at home, I guess).  I've been trying to observe the differences in how I was at that age and how they act.  I like to think I wasn't that obnoxious...  I guess instead of listening to and singing along with pop music, we were listening to and singing along with heavy metal.  My parents probably hate both equally.
4 15 YO's? That requires a drink on your part.

j_rud

OBAMA! OBAMA! OBAMA!
Say friend, you got any more of that good sasparilla?

YouAre_GivenToFly

OBAMA! OBAMA! OBAMA!

Why don't you get off the internet and go spend some time in church or go clean your guns?
The wind blew me back, via Chicago, in the middle of the night.