where to move---Louisville??

Started by October, Sep 16, 2008, 12:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

October

Hey folks,

Just graduated college and having a hard time finding a "real" job, you know, with a salary and benefits and all.  Got some money saved up, so I'm looking to just move some place, find a service or restaurant job and start anew until I can find something more serious.  I'm currently living at home and it's getting old fast.

Louisville is on the list of considered cities.

Any thoughts on living there, cool/cheap areas and neighborhoods to look in?

Any other cities you guys can suggest?  I've heard the usual Austin/Portland/etc.

Anybody need a roommate who is also into the jacket?  I'm open to moving anywhere.

I'm a 23 year old ex-english major, would enjoy a literary/arts scene, good music, good food, outdoors, the usual.  Figured the board might have some advice.

Cheers.

TheBigChicken

Depends on what it is you are going to pursue. Athens,Ga is nice for a music and arts scene as well as Asheville,NC. They both are primarily college towns. At least  Athens is. I've only visited Asheville. Just my 2 cents...
the fruit bats love makin' made all the kids cry

OZs Frozen Castle

Louisville is a great city, plenty of eclectic neighborhoods(Bardstown road area, Frankfort ave.) A ton of great restaurants(you have to try Vietnam Kitchen) Cost of living isn't crazy, there is good opportunity for growth(both professionaly and self).  Wonderful downtown area and still growing(try BBC and 3rd street dive). Do the research and take a couple of visits, people are friendly, great local music scene.  Keep Luhvlle weird.

getinthevan

I have a friend who just moved to Portland, Oregon and loves it out there.  I can't really speak for other cities.  I enjoyed Seattle a lot but my understanding is that there's a high cost of living.  

I would say avoid Michigan for the time being.  Something about the economy being in the tank and whatnot.  I suppose if you could find work it wouldn't be bad.  I like it here, there's just not a whole lot of options for an aspiring audio engineer.  So I'm heading to Nashville at the end of the year.
The Earth Is Not A Cold Dead Place

Jaimoe

I won't recommend Montreal, Halifax, Ottawa, Kingston, Toronto, Victoria or Vancouver (all vibrant towns) given the stresses that come with visas, but if I were American and in your shoes, I'd live in Nashville, Asheville, New York City and Chicago or someplace in Vermont.

OZs Frozen Castle

I will say this, definitely do not move to Virginia beach, cultural wasteland.  Full of shallow people, no downtown life(because there is no downtown) food scene is far less than desirable. Oh well if I cant be in luhvlle right now at least I'm not in West Virginia :)

ratchetisfake

Louisville is great, fairly stable economy (for now), and the cost of living isnt too bad. I live on Six Mile Rd, between Breckenridge and Bardstown road area, just a few miles south of The Highlands. But Frankfort ave, St. Matthews, and Lyndon areas are nice as well. Rent is somewhere between $600-$900 a month for a two bedroom, at least on the east side of the city.
This city is full of culture, and eccentric people, so I thought it was good choice to move here.

but ive been to Athens too. very nice. just VERY hot and humid in the summer.
Seattle is terrific too, just REALLY expensive to live there.
Good luck on the impending move! ;)

who fanned the fire that burned down the lake?

tower

Louisville is a pretty damn cool mid-sized city.  I've lived in Houston, NorCal, Michigan and now live in Shelbyville (just outside Louisville). I'd like to move back into Louisville myself...

Some very cool things going on and it's still moving forward.  Hasn't always been terribly progressive and in many ways still isn't but it is moving forward.

We need more thinkers and open-minded folks, come on if that's you!
Louisville Rock and Roll
www.edgehillave.com

aMillionDreams

Louisville is a great city.  I'm not from here but there's a reason I've decided to stay.  I think I'd eventually like to move to a more rural area, of not one that is perhaps a little more politically progressive.  If I were you I'd look into Oregan (especially if you are in the food industry), Louisville, Asheville, NC, and Charlestown, SC.
The Unofficial Official MMJ Guitar Tabs Archive
[url="http://mmjtabs.50megs.com/"]http://mmjtabs.50megs.com/[/url]

OZs Frozen Castle

Louisville is pretty ethnically diverse, people from all walks of life have come to Louisville to make a life for themselves. Very diverse especially for a mid sized city.

the_wizzard

QuoteLouisville is a great city.  I'm not from here but there's a reason I've decided to stay.  I think I'd eventually like to move to a more rural area, of not one that is perhaps a little more politically progressive.  If I were you I'd look into Oregan (especially if you are in the food industry), Louisville, Asheville, NC, and Charlestown, SC.

Oregon is great for the food industry.  New amazing places keep popping up all over the place.  And we don't abide by the national minimum wage, even in restaurants with tips and all, your base pay starts at $7.95.  Pretty amazing for the service industry.
And it is a young, vibrant town.  And very progressive.  But I am biased, living here now for 10 years (and in the NW for a total of 15 years).