Great movie scenes

Started by Paulie_W, Oct 15, 2008, 05:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paulie Walnuts

One scene. That encapsulates everything about a particular movie. That when you saw it you just had to rewind and watch again and again.

For me it's the scene in Dead Man's Shoes when Paddy Considine is confronted by Gary Stretch. There is no violence whatsoever but it is the most menacing, powerful scene in a movie I ever saw. Stretch is being watched by all his mates expecting him to do something. When Considine, the smaller man speaks, you realise Stretch is in way over his head. He realises it too.

Any other suggestions?
"A problem shared......is a problem two people have got."

Paulie Walnuts

And the movie has Smog's 'Vessel In Vain' on it. What more could you want!

dragonboy

Another fan of Dead Man's Shoes!!!  [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Are you a Shane Meadows fan? A Room For Romeo Brass & This Is England are both excellent too, if you haven't already seen them.

I'll think of some more scenes a bit later but one that comes to mind right now, maybe because I saw it again @ the weekend, is the first appearance of the T-rex in Jurassic Park.

God will forgive them. He'll forgive them and allow them into Heaven.....I can't live with that.

Paulie Walnuts

Yeah I like 'em all, but Dead Man's Shoes is the best in my opinion:

"...If I were you, i'd get in that fuckin' car and I'd get out of here man. I'd gather them goonies and get whatever you've got comin' mate, 'cause i'm gonna fuckin' hit you all....I'm not threatening you mate. It's beyond fuckin' words. I watched over you when you were asleep and I looked at your fuckin' neck and I was that far away from slicing it. (opens up his hand right hand and points towards his palm) "You're fuckin' there mate! (snaps his fist shut)...So get in that car, and fuck off! You get to me first! "

Looking forward to Somers Town. Does anyone know a release date?

And King Of The Gypsies is apparently in post production, with Considine in the lead role!

ItStillJaimoe

The greatest movie ending from one of the greatest gangster movies ever:

dragonboy

QuoteYeah I like 'em all, but Dead Man's Shoes is the best in my opinion:

"...If I were you, i'd get in that fuckin' car and I'd get out of here man. I'd gather them goonies and get whatever you've got comin' mate, 'cause i'm gonna fuckin' hit you all....I'm not threatening you mate. It's beyond fuckin' words. I watched over you when you were asleep and I looked at your fuckin' neck and I was that far away from slicing it. (opens up his hand right hand and points towards his palm) "You're fuckin' there mate! (snaps his fist shut)...So get in that car, and fuck off! You get to me first! "

Looking forward to Somers Town. Does anyone know a release date?

And King Of The Gypsies is apparently in post production, with Considine in the lead role!
Sommers Town has already been released in the UK so I'm hoping it will be on DVD (region2) for Xmas.

Surely you mean pre-production? It's been on the cards for a few years now but there's nothing on Shane's website or IMDB...

Always cool to meet another Shane Meadows fan  :)
God will forgive them. He'll forgive them and allow them into Heaven.....I can't live with that.

Penny Lane

every scene from 'beautiful girls' w/tim hutton and natalie portman
but come on...there's nothing sexy about poop. Nothing.  -bbill

dragonboy

Quoteevery scene from 'beautiful girls' w/tim hutton and natalie portman
The 2 of them ice-skating & Noah Emmerich's face when he sees them together is classic!

Penny Lane

Quoteevery scene from 'beautiful girls' w/tim hutton and natalie portman
The 2 of them ice-skating & Noah Emmerich's face when he sees them together is classic!

OMG--that's funny because i was going to post 'especially the ice skating scene' LOL...

Paulie Walnuts

Sorry dragonboy, my mistake. Sounds like King Of The Gypsies is going to happen though!

I'd heard Somers Town mentioned at a film festival but hadn't found anywhere to see it yet - I have been out of the country quite a bit! I'll be looking it up now.

Crispy

For me it's gotta be when Dexter Riley eats the Crumply Crunch cereal in The Strongest Man In The World and get his super strength!

Well, maybe it was when Phoebe Cates takes off her bikini top in Fast Times...
"...it's gonna be great -- I mean me coming back with the band and playing all those hits again"

Penny Lane

oh man!! nice bottle rocket reference ;-)

purvis9876

The scene in The Princess Bride with this:

Westley: Can you move at all?
Buttercup: Move? You're alive. If you want I can fly.  :)
Evey: Are you, like, a crazy person?
V: I am quite sure they will say so.

bold99

I'll go with Walken and Dennis Hopper in True Romance..that scene was just so classic...great dialogue.
Last Fair Deal Gone Down...

Crispy

Now for real, bearass and everybody else knows it Quint's monolgoue about the Indianapolis:

Hooper: You were on the Indianapolis?
Brody: What happened?
Quint: Japanese submarine slammed two torpedoes into our side, Chief. We was comin' back from the island of Tinian to Leyte... just delivered the bomb. The Hiroshima bomb. Eleven hundred men went into the water. Vessel went down in 12 minutes. Didn't see the first shark for about a half an hour. Tiger. 13-footer. You know how you know that when you're in the water, Chief? You tell by looking from the dorsal to the tail. What we didn't know, was our bomb mission had been so secret, no distress signal had been sent. They didn't even list us overdue for a week. Very first light, Chief, sharks come cruisin', so we formed ourselves into tight groups. You know, it was kinda like old squares in the battle like you see in the calendar named "The Battle of Waterloo" and the idea was: shark comes to the nearest man, that man he starts poundin' and hollerin' and screamin' and sometimes the shark go away... but sometimes he wouldn't go away. Sometimes that shark he looks right into ya. Right into your eyes. And, you know, the thing about a shark... he's got lifeless eyes. Black eyes. Like a doll's eyes. When he comes at ya, doesn't seem to be living... until he bites ya, and those black eyes roll over white and then... ah then you hear that terrible high-pitched screamin'. The ocean turns red, and despite all the poundin' and the hollerin', they all come in and they... rip you to pieces. You know by the end of that first dawn, lost a hundred men. I don't know how many sharks, maybe a thousand. I know how many men, they averaged six an hour. On Thursday morning, Chief, I bumped into a friend of mine, Herbie Robinson from Cleveland. Baseball player. Boatswain's mate. I thought he was asleep. I reached over to wake him up. Bobbed up, down in the water just like a kinda top. Upended. Well, he'd been bitten in half below the waist. Noon, the fifth day, Mr. Hooper, a Lockheed Ventura saw us. He swung in low and he saw us... he was a young pilot, a lot younger than Mr. Hooper. Anyway, he saw us and he come in low and three hours later a big fat PBY comes down and starts to pick us up. You know that was the time I was most frightened... waitin' for my turn. I'll never put on a lifejacket again. So, eleven hundred men went in the water; 316 men come out and the sharks took the rest, June the 29th, 1945. Anyway, we delivered the bomb.
"...it's gonna be great -- I mean me coming back with the band and playing all those hits again"

ycartrob

I remember seeing that at the theater and it's as if time were standing still; as if I were no longer watching an actor on screen deliver his lines.

haunting

BH

QuoteI'll go with Walken and Dennis Hopper in True Romance..that scene was just so classic...great dialogue.

Nice one.  Love that scene.
I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

capt. scotty

QuoteI'll go with Walken and Dennis Hopper in True Romance..that scene was just so classic...great dialogue.

Nice one.  Love that scene.

Good call. I dont think its greatest scene ever material, but its classic nonetheless
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

capt. scotty

This is probably my choice for greatest scene ever. It only gets better and more intense as it goes too. Its cut a little short though due to youtube's time limit

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d9rOCGRlCo4[/media]

Not only is it possibly the greatest scene ever - 10 minutes of pure brilliance and intensity - but this is possibly the greatest movie ever.

Is you disagree, just watch it in its full 3 hours of glory again.
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons