The Comics Thread !!!

Started by dragonboy, May 15, 2008, 11:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dragonboy

I used to read lots of comics & had 100s in my collection but had to throw 95% of them away a few years ago when my folks moved to Spain. I kept a few of my fav graphic novels (Dark Knight Returns, Arkham Asylum, Killing Joke, Watchmen, Frank Miller's Wolverine etc) & dug them out a couple of weeks ago to read again.

I don't know anything about the comic scene today but just bought my first graphic novel in years (a JLA story, Identity Crisis: http://www.amazon.com/Identity-Crisis-Comics-Brad-Meltzer/dp/1401204589/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1210908255&sr=1-1)

Anyone read/buys comics? What was your favs back in the day? characters? stories? writers? artists? DC vs Marvel etc etc etc

God will forgive them. He'll forgive them and allow them into Heaven.....I can't live with that.

dragonboy

God will forgive them. He'll forgive them and allow them into Heaven.....I can't live with that.

red

I used to read all sorts, but didn't really follow anything in particular.  Now I only read Daniel Clowes (Eightball, Ghost World).  That being said, my friend has the Watchmen and I can't wait to get my hands on it.  

This is one of my favourite things ever:

PapaJoeBear

SOme of the best reading I've done recently is the Y the Last Man series.  I've read 8 of the 10 so far and it real real has blown my mind. I highly recommend!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Y_the_last_man

dragonboy

Thanks Papa Joe! I was looking @ some 'must have' lists on amazon & those came up a couple of times. I'm hoping to pick up a big stack of comics in the US next month so I'll look out for them then.

Like a lot of people I started out reading the usual Marvel comics; Spiderman, Fantastic Four, X-Men etc
I then moved on to DC comics (Batman, Green Arrow & Animal Man etc) & then Vertigo (Sandman, Hellblazer etc)
Not sure if it was big in the US but I used to love 2000AD (Judge Dredd, Nemesis The Warlock, Rogue Trooper etc)

& I know they're different kinds of comics but who doesn't love Calvin & Hobbes & Peanuts? I loved the Astrix books too when I was a kid, never got into Tintin...

mjkoehler

Damn, DB, you pretty much listed most of what I have left in my little collection. I was a huge mutant nut. Xmen, XFactor, New Mutants, Excalibur it was all good in my book. Colossus and Havok were my 2 favs. I had all issues from the death of Jean Gray through the rise of Mr Sinister and stopped reading after that. Not sure why. As a birthday present for my oldest nephew when he turned 12, I bought all those back issues of Xmen. He still has them to this day. That was 12 years ago.

Also Batman. Come on, it's Batman! I kept my first editions of Killing Joke, Digital Justice, The Cult, and Dark Knight Returns. Those I will never part with, except maybe to my son.

Watchmen? Hell yes!

Also, this is on of the best stories ever printed. If you have never read the original Crow, do yourself a favor and get it. GET IT. The movie is really nothing like this and I love the movie.

dragonboy

Haha I was wondering when you'd drop by MJ  ;D

Haven't read Digital Justice, I'll have to check that out. The Cult, that was great! Did you read Gothic? That was a good Batman story. Death In The Family? I just bought The Long Halloween: http://www.amazon.com/Batman-Long-Halloween-Jeph-Loeb/dp/1563894696/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1210937917&sr=1-1

Haven't read the Crow (saw the movie, obviously) I'll check that out too...

Any fav artists? Jim Lee did a lot of X-stuff, right?
I love Art Adams, Steve Dillion (2000AD, Animal Man, Preacher etc) Dave McKean & Simon Bisley (Batman/Judge Dredd, ABC Warriors, Slaine, Lobo etc)

dragonboy

Love these Art Adams posters:

mjkoehler

Have not read Gothic at least I do not think I have. That's not Gothem By Gaslight is it?

Adams was great. Bernie Wrightson is also great. He did a Spiderman graphic novel that was awesome. I also liked Whilce Portacio (I think thats his name). He was slow but his work was phenom. He did Punisher for a while and it never looked better.

dragonboy

No Gotham by Gaslight was one of those alt universe things (I think) Here's Gothic: http://www.amazon.com/Batman-Gothic-Grant-Morrison/dp/1401215491/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1210947847&sr=1-1

How could I forget Punisher? The original War Journals were great!

Speaking of Spidey, The Sinister Six was one of the 1st comics that I really fell in love with. I've been looking for a re-print but can't find anything, maybe it's in one of the Marvel Essentials?

dragonboy

QuoteAdams was great. Bernie Wrightson is also great.
I had to think for a minute there...Bernie did Cycle Of The Werewolf right? I love that!

mjkoehler

I think that one came out after I stopped reading. I do not remember that one or I just missed it if it came out while i was still reading.

For Spidy, check out Kraven's Last Hunt story. oofff.

dragonboy

QuoteFor Spidy, check out Kraven's Last Hunt story. oofff.
Just ordered this, thanks MJ!
Got a Simon Bisley ABC Warriors graphic novel in the post today...ahh, the memories  :'( ;)

mjkoehler

QuoteFor Spidy, check out Kraven's Last Hunt story. oofff.
Just ordered this, thanks MJ!
Got a Simon Bisley ABC Warriors graphic novel in the post today...ahh, the memories  :'( ;)

Awesome! Never heard of ABC Warriors. Looked it up on wiki and looks interesting. Enjoy the Kraven story.

tomEisenbraun

I remembered reading this when I was 12 and only having the first part and being worried to death-- you can't just kill Batman like that...
The river is moving. The blackbird must be flying.

MarkW

QuoteNot sure if it was big in the US but I used to love 2000AD (Judge Dredd, Nemesis The Warlock, Rogue Trooper etc)

Loved 200AD from issue one.  My brother bought it up into the 500s, and still has them all hiding away somewhere.

Good wiki piece here on the comic for you US chaps:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2000_AD_(comic)
The trouble with the straight and the narrow is it's so thin, I keep sliding off to the side

dragonboy

Are they worth much money do you think Mark? I remember taking loads of my comics up to London before I left the UK for the first time but didn't get shit for them.

I kept my signed Sandman No1. & Usagi YoJimbo, still got them somewhere...

dragonboy

I remembered reading this when I was 12 and only having the first part and being worried to death-- you can't just kill Batman like that...
Haha quite right Tom! Batman is def one of my fav characters. I love what Christopher Nolan & Christian Bale have done with the movies, can't wait for Dark Knight!

Is Capt America really dead? I looked into getting the story but turns out it's one of those huge crossover things & you have to buy 15 ~ 20 comics  :-/

mjkoehler

I had to think for a minute there...Bernie did Cycle Of The Werewolf right? I love that!
Yep. Have that too.

mjkoehler

Haha quite right Tom! Batman is def one of my fav characters. I love what Christopher Nolan & Christian Bale have done with the movies, can't wait for Dark Knight!

Is Capt America really dead? I looked into getting the story but turns out it's one of those huge crossover things & you have to buy 15 ~ 20 comics  :-/
I think so. Marvel is doing some weird Crisis On Infinate Earths shit, or did. I actually haven't read anything new in ages.

I am interested in 200AD. Gonna have to look into that.