I hate election year.

Started by eiseyrokker, Oct 27, 2008, 10:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tomEisenbraun

Can we not just be friends and discuss all this shit in one thread?
The river is moving. The blackbird must be flying.

Angry Ewok

It'll all be over soon...

...right?
--- and that's 2 real 4 u.

tomEisenbraun

tomEisenbraun

Okay fine, politick on. She's convinced me not to be tired of it anymore:

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2h3frrPcOwE[/media]

bowl of soup

QuoteIt'll all be over soon...

...right?

Not if we (Florida) have anything to do with it.
I'm not saying it's easy...walking into sweet oblivion.

ycartrob

QuoteOkay fine, politick on. She's convinced me not to be tired of it anymore:

Tom, there's another video of her telling you to send me all your money...

searchinbig

Laugh about it, shout about when you have to choose.........

ANY WAY YOU LOOK AT IT YOU LOSE.

-Paul Simon-

::)
"Somewhere out there is a land that's cool, where peace and balance are the rule."

Penny Lane

i think it's great---people are excited about voting (thanks to acorn, animals and now inanimate objects can vote), there are 2 candidates i respect---lots of drama-- Lots at stake--

one week---and no matter what, we'll be headed in a better direction
but come on...there's nothing sexy about poop. Nothing.  -bbill

Angry Ewok

Quotei think it's great---people are excited about voting (thanks to acorn, animals and now inanimate objects can vote), there are 2 candidates i respect---lots of drama-- Lots at stake--

one week---and no matter what, we'll be headed in a better direction

Who is John Galt?

:P

Jaimoe

One thing I hope we all can agree on if Obama wins: May his victory rid the world of those bloated, dumbed-down and fairly unfunny Sarah Palin parodies on SNL.

Angry Ewok

Quotebloated, dumbed-down and fairly unfunny

This is an accurate description of all SNL skits in the recent years.

Jaimoe

Quotebloated, dumbed-down and fairly unfunny

This is an accurate description of all SNL skits in the recent years.

I'm one of the older guys on here and I can tell you that SNL has been like my description even in the Myers/Carvey/Hartman years, although even the show then had the odd skit that was clever. Good SNL parody was the Bush-Clinton debate or any of the political stuff from that time. However, the show hasn't been funny since the Eddie Murphy years - anyone remember his bang-on impression of Jesse Jackson singing "Hymietown", in reference to a comment Jackson made regarding NYC? That one-off year featuring Martin Short, Chistopher  Guest, Harry Shearer and Billy Crystal was hilarious, but not overly political).

I'll take Chevy Chase's President Ford or Dan Akroyd's Jimmy Carter anyday.

purvis9876

QuoteOkay fine, politick on. She's convinced me not to be tired of it anymore:

So F-ing gorgeous! She has the brains and the  ::). She could get me to do anything.................................... Even to vote for John McCain  ;D

Evey: Are you, like, a crazy person?
V: I am quite sure they will say so.

aMillionDreams

I like how you started a new thread to say that.

I'm going to start a new thread for the rest of this response.
The Unofficial Official MMJ Guitar Tabs Archive
[url="http://mmjtabs.50megs.com/"]http://mmjtabs.50megs.com/[/url]

tomEisenbraun

QuoteI like how you started a new thread to say that.

Please keep your response under 100 words though. I stop reading after that.

aMillionDreams

QuoteI like how you started a new thread to say that.

Please keep your response under 100 words though. I stop reading after that.

You're not the only one!  ;D ;D ;D
The Unofficial Official MMJ Guitar Tabs Archive
[url="http://mmjtabs.50megs.com/"]http://mmjtabs.50megs.com/[/url]

Janet

I cannot wait for the election to be over.  I am so tired of all the political ads and negativity.  

I'm in California and one of the measures on the ballot is a proposal to add a constitutional ban on gay marriage.  Every day I have to pass many, many signs in my neighbors yards with a "Yes on 8" and "Protect Marriage" on it.  

I see those signs and it makes my blood boil.  I literally have a physical reaction.  To me, it's more like "yes on hate".  I don't get it. If the goal is really to "protect marriage" then perhaps we need an initiative to make divorce illegal?  

Ok, off my soap box now.

Dorothy_Mantooth

i wish less emphasis was placed on marriage and more on love. I can marry any drunk off the street but love is a whole other story.

i don't even know why i actually reply to political threads. they make me want to puke like a sick kitten.
"[Adrien Brody] is a big hip-hop fan and plans on becoming a producer. He is being mentored by RZA."

tomEisenbraun

Seriously, though. That's just ignorant blind hate. It doesn't take anything away from marriage to allow a provision for same-sex union that will allow homosexual couples who live with eachother ability to take advantage of things like, oh, I don't know, tax forms and health insurance. Is that awful? It might actually put some strength behind those relationships, too, as it is a well-known fact (I'm not just making assumptions, this is pretty statistical from somewhere) that monogamy is a very rare thing in the gay community. Being able to be a part of your partner's life legally might help to change how things are viewed there. I'm all for that, as it sounds pretty miserable to be a part of a culture where permanence in love isn't really too expected. If the ability to have a union or marriage or whatever it's being called these days helps that out, then by all means, I'm for it.

What I'm sick of is the in-fighting between people who don't even care to listen to the other side. That's ignorance and I'm not for it. Personally, I have trouble keeping track of all the smaller issues and it wears me out to try and keep up with everything. I'm so ready for the election to be over so we can stop digging up shit about the other candidates and figuring out which one will turn us into a Muslim nation and which one will destroy the world through firepower and die in office. I don't know that I honestly like either more than the either. I could have a beer with McCain or Obama and feel pretty good about it, but I don't know what that counts for. I've seen Obama portrayed and upheld as being well-advised and a good listener, and I think that's a good thing, but I'd also like to see our country more fiscally conservative. No one supports that one, though.

So screw it. We get represented somehow in the end and we can bicker and fuss about all the little minute things and start a thread a minute with different articles about "the left" and "the right" but seriously, it makes the off-topic spot a little heavy. That's my stance, my soapbox, and my cuttlefish of chtulu. No one's reading this anymore. Out.