Main Menu

Mad Men

Started by bbill, Jul 27, 2008, 02:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Penny Lane

i won't spoil it but you won't be dissappointed this episode--although i'm a little confused as to how much DD knows about peggy's pregnancy? can't tell if those are flashbacks/dreams or what? i have missed a couple episodes here and there, though...

don and jimmy barrett's wife had some interesting scenes in last night's episode, enjoy-let me know what you think!

but come on...there's nothing sexy about poop. Nothing.  -bbill

pawpaw

Quotei won't spoil it but you won't be dissappointed this episode--although i'm a little confused as to how much DD knows about peggy's pregnancy? can't tell if those are flashbacks/dreams or what? i have missed a couple episodes here and there, though...

don and jimmy barrett's wife had some interesting scenes in last night's episode, enjoy-let me know what you think!

Well, unless last night's episode has Peggy knocked up again, I think what you saw were flashbacks. The first season was set in '60, and though the show hasn't explicitly stated it, season two is set in '62 (I read this in an article, and otherwise it's a matter of recognizing events in the show and establishing the timeline...like I bet that American Airlines crash into Jamaica Bay really happened in '62). They've actually shown Peggy's son a few times - he lives with her mom.

Also, if you have Comcast cable, you can watch previous episodes through On Demand. It's "free".
"I'm able to sing because I'm able to fly, son. You heard me right..."

Penny Lane

Quotei won't spoil it but you won't be dissappointed this episode--although i'm a little confused as to how much DD knows about peggy's pregnancy? can't tell if those are flashbacks/dreams or what? i have missed a couple episodes here and there, though...

Well, unless last night's episode has Peggy knocked up again, I think what you saw were flashbacks. The first season was set in '60, and though the show hasn't explicitly stated it, season two is set in '62 (I read this in an article, and otherwise it's a matter of recognizing events in the show and establishing the timeline...like I bet that American Airlines crash into Jamaica Bay really happened in '62). They've actually shown Peggy's son a few times - he lives with her mom.

Also, if you have Comcast cable, you can watch previous episodes through On Demand. It's "free".
yeah i've seen where they show her son and presently he lives w/her parents/family upstairs i think (Peggy has an apt in the house separate?) and i know people at the company wondered who the father was---or were suspicious of her weight gain and loss, etc...i just didn't know if don knew about it? that must have been a flashback--there's been a few but it's been confusing. thanks for the info, though. they are showing them all on sat or sun (at least the first 5 from this season)

pawpaw

Here's a wikipedia entry on the American Airlines crash: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Airlines_Flight_1

pawpaw

I saw the newest episode last night, and yeah, it was great.

SO, as far as Peggy goes, I remember her sister saying something in a previous episode about her mental health and being in a hospital...I think that her (ultra-religious/traditional) family had her committed to find out what was going on. Remember, the pregnancy was a suprise even to Peggy, who didn't know until she was about to go into labor (I've heard of this happening, but, HOW THE HELL DOES THAT HAPPEN?!?!). And in the newest episode, in one of the flashbacks, the doctor mentions her being on drugs to help her want to talk.

I'm not sure if Draper knows about the baby, but I'm not sure if that matters. He knows she had been in the hospital for a serious "condition", that she wanted to keep secret (the scene in the hospital with the two of them was AWESOME). He called Peggy to bail him out of the drunk tank (.15 legal limit, ARE YOU KIDDING ME?!?!) because, well, basically, she owed him in the secret keeping department. I thought this one was Peggy's episode, showing a couple of the encounters that have and will shape her.

Jimmy Barretts wife's smoker voice is so damn sexy to me, for some reason.

DAMN, that was a great episode, and what a great fucking show. Don and Peggy are just such great mysteries, both at different stages of (re)creating themselves.  

Penny Lane

i was hoping you'd watch it so i could spill--the best scene was at the end where betty tells don he can't have any salt (his heart condition?)...that's her subtle way of saying...'2 can play this game don draper' i loved it cuz the camera pauses on him for a few extra seconds and he has an 'i stepped in dog sh*t' look on his face.

i also love the scene where the doctor lit up a cigarette...

yes, this was peggy's episode...she is such a survivor. i also liked the whole speech jimmy's wife gave her "you're not a man, don't try to be one"

i definitely missed an episode this season about the mental condition stuff...i'll have to catch up!

capt. scotty

Ive heard too much good buzz about this show not to start watchin it

Im gonna have to watch the first couple seasons of Dexter first since the new season of that starts in a month and Ive wanted to start watchin that show for awhile

Mad Men is #2 on the list
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

Penny Lane

bbill--did you watch?!! no spoilers i promise!

pawpaw

Quotebbill--did you watch?!! no spoilers i promise!

;D No penny, I haven't seen it yet. Thanks for your restraint though...I can tell you want to talk about it, so it must've been a good one!

Nah, I usually wait until Monday night to watch them (old man bbill can't stay up till 11 to finish a show  ;D), but I may not even get to it tonight, 'cause I'm going to be watching the Raiders whip the fuckin' Broncs up and down the field  :D

I'll say this though, Draper having a crisis of conscience while shaving at the end of the last episode was about as good a hook as I've ever seen....yeah, I'm pretty excited to see what happens next.

It's pretty funny how this is essentially a two person thread, like the Supergrass thread that db and mj kept alive for so long ;D

Penny Lane

Quotebbill--did you watch?!! no spoilers i promise!

;D No penny, I haven't seen it yet. Thanks for your restraint though...I can tell you want to talk about it, so it must've been a good one!

Nah, I usually wait until Monday night to watch them (old man bbill can't stay up till 11 to finish a show  ;D), but I may not even get to it tonight, 'cause I'm going to be watching the Raiders whip the fuckin' Broncs up and down the field  :D

I'll say this though, Draper having a crisis of conscience while shaving at the end of the last episode was about as good a hook as I've ever seen....yeah, I'm pretty excited to see what happens next.

It's pretty funny how this is essentially a two person thread, like the Supergrass thread that db and mj kept alive for so long ;D

well i'm hoping TEO keeps w/it....it's all about the don draper moral crisis though, isn't it? i missed the first 20 min so i need to catch that at some point.

vespachick

I just watched this for the first time last weekend when they were having a marathon.  I totally love it!  My parents raced out and bought season one on DVD.  The packaging is totally great: it looks like a giant Zippo!  Sweet.  I may go buy it when I get the next Border's coupon. 8-)
My jacket's gonna be cut slim and checked

Penny Lane

QuoteI just watched this for the first time last weekend when they were having a marathon.  I totally love it!  My parents raced out and bought season one on DVD.  The packaging is totally great: it looks like a giant Zippo!  Sweet.  I may go buy it when I get the next Border's coupon. 8-)

sweet, amy!! it's the only show i watch on a regular basis---it's a fascinating character study--basically less is more. plus john slattery is just SO cool.

pawpaw

I watched the newest episode last night (I could only take so much of the Raiders)- yeah, it was a good one. First of all, I don't know if I've ever watched a show that I've been so impressed with both the writing AND acting. All the actors are just SO GOOD!

Salvatore, I'm pretty sure that there's never been any mention of him being married, but there she was, and it just adds a whole new complexity to his character. And Cosgrove unveiled a whole hidden (to us, the viewers anyway) side to his personality with his writing and insight into the Rothko piece.

One of the best scenes was when Draper got called into Cooper's office. After Sterling left the room, Don got the invitation to join the "people who get to decide what will happen in our world". And the whole party at the end, the ride home after...

The thing about this show, it's not built to attract the casual observer. But to get into the characters, who've all been created so thoughtfully, it really is exciting to see where they go, at that time, in that city, in that business.

So, what did you think Penny?

Penny Lane

QuoteI watched the newest episode last night (I could only take so much of the Raiders)- yeah, it was a good one. First of all, I don't know if I've ever watched a show that I've been so impressed with both the writing AND acting. All the actors are just SO GOOD!

Salvatore, I'm pretty sure that there's never been any mention of him being married, but there she was, and it just adds a whole new complexity to his character. And Cosgrove unveiled a whole hidden (to us, the viewers anyway) side to his personality with his writing and insight into the Rothko piece.

One of the best scenes was when Draper got called into Cooper's office. After Sterling left the room, Don got the invitation to join the "people who get to decide what will happen in our world". And the whole party at the end, the ride home after...

The thing about this show, it's not built to attract the casual observer. But to get into the characters, who've all been created so thoughtfully, it really is exciting to see where they go, at that time, in that city, in that business.

So, what did you think Penny?

i agree--do you notice the way the director holds the camera on for WAY too long--it's so uncomfortable.  i didn't know salvatore was married either! what an awkward dinner--btw, what kind of PIE was that??? pineapple and something? it's the little details that i find fascinating. i also love jimmy barretts exchanges w/Betty and Don. Poor guy--(you see the whole short, unpopular kid becomes funny to have a voice) next week it looks like it's all about Peggy!

Penny Lane

i looked that up--all i found was that salvatore got married in season 2

also, i love joan's exchange w/the sec (forget her name) who questioned her...you DON'T mess w/her

Elspeth

Oh cool! I have people to talk to Mad Men about! Did anyone see tonight's episode? Anyone? I felt so bad for Joan...

pawpaw

QuoteOh cool! I have people to talk to Mad Men about! Did anyone see tonight's episode? Anyone? I felt so bad for Joan...

:) Cool, another fan of the show. I haven't seen the new one yet (been at work for almost 24 HOURS THE PAST TWO F***IN DAYS), and I'm not sure if Penny has surfaced since SC trounced her Buckeyes. Try not to give up too many surprises  ;)

I'll lecha know when I see it!

Penny Lane

you always have to catch bbill on tuesdays-----so good last night----you are going to be a little shocked.

pawpaw

Quoteyou always have to catch bbill on tuesdays-----so good last night----you are going to be a little shocked.

I did watch it last night, but I'm charging hard at work and can't really get into it as I'd like. The women had it rough though (that's one of the major themes of the show, really).

Penny Lane

Quoteyou always have to catch bbill on tuesdays-----so good last night----you are going to be a little shocked.

I did watch it last night, but I'm charging hard at work and can't really get into it as I'd like. The women had it rough though (that's one of the major themes of the show, really).

yeah that was the little montage they did at the end---i didn't get what happens w/joan in the next episode (from watching the preview) that priest looks so evil, too---i'm glad that peggy stood up to him