Main Menu

Mad Men

Started by bbill, Jul 27, 2008, 02:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pawpaw

Do any of you watch this show? I saw most of the first season last summer, and have caught up with what I missed the past few weeks in anticipation for the season premier tonight. It's about this advertising firm in NYC, set in the early 60s. It's a BIG show, covers a lot of ground...very stylish, and VERY well written. On Sunday at 10PM, on AMC.
"I'm able to sing because I'm able to fly, son. You heard me right..."

megalicious

I am so glad season 2 starts tonight. I got hooked on Mad Men last summer.

It's a great show. There are so many different aspects to it. And I LOVE the clothes the women wear!
all facts begin as dreams dreamt by the wizard

Penny Lane

it's funny to watch everyone smoke so much---it's SO good. especially him:

but come on...there's nothing sexy about poop. Nothing.  -bbill

megalicious

i kind of have a girl crush on her:

Penny Lane

Quotei kind of have a girl crush on her:

i agree, meg--those 2 are the best parts of the show

megalicious

I wish I had their wardrobe department in my closet. I LOVE the outfits the women wear! So classic and sexy, you know?

pawpaw

Quoteit's funny to watch everyone smoke so much---it's SO good. especially him:

I know, and they're ALWAYS drinking at work. And I'm not talking a glass of wine, a beer, or even a cocktail. They're drinking deep pours of whiskey, neat. Drinkin' and smokin' all day long!

Oh, and the women are gorgeous...

pawpaw

i agree, meg--those 2 are the best parts of the show

There are also quite a few direct and indirect references to Ayn Rand...I bring it up because of your signature.

red

I'm in love.   :-*

mjkoehler

Holy shite! Why am I not watching this show for Her? uhhh wow, I can add her to my redhead obbsession. God grief! Netflix her I come for Season 1!

Penny Lane

bbill-yes, that is one of the reasons i love it.

okay, peggy is becoming such a b*tch--i love it.

Killgies

Agreed
"Aren't you a little short for a stormtrooper?"

pawpaw

Quotebbill-yes, that is one of the reasons i love it.

okay, peggy is becoming such a b*tch--i love it.

Yeah, she was pretty snippy last night. Damn, the characters (and the possibilities of where they can go) in this show are SO GOOD! I thought the episode last night was a slow burner (most are), but everything felt right by the end. Draper reads a book of poetry that a guy in a bar told him he wouldn't like, and then mails it to an unknown recipient late at night while walking his dog in the final scene. That kind of shit just isn't on tv! Draper is going to crack at some point, some huge, personal crisis of being, and it's going to be glorious to watch.

...and what about that smarmy little weasel Peter Campbell. The character is disgusting, but the actor does a great job of making him that way...

pawpaw

I pulled this from the episode summary on the AMC site...

"Later that night he reads Meditations in an Emergency: "Now I am waiting for the catastrophe of my personality to seem beautiful again, and interesting, and modern." He writes, "Made me think of you. -- D" on the title page and walks down the street to mail the book to an unknown recipient."

...that's just too good.

Penny Lane

QuoteI pulled this from the episode summary on the AMC site...

"Later that night he reads Meditations in an Emergency: "Now I am waiting for the catastrophe of my personality to seem beautiful again, and interesting, and modern." He writes, "Made me think of you. -- D" on the title page and walks down the street to mail the book to an unknown recipient."

...that's just too good.

do you think betty is sexually frustrated or what? i thought she was going to attack the guy changing the fan belt

pawpaw

QuoteI pulled this from the episode summary on the AMC site...

...that's just too good.

do you think betty is sexually frustrated or what? i thought she was going to attack the guy changing the fan belt

Yeah, that was kind of a tense little scene. She's going to get into some trouble with that creepy dude at the stables, I think. She's a sad character, but damn she's an angel.

TEO

Watched it, tried it, it just aint happenin' for me yet.......
"You are only as young as the last time you changed your mind" T. Leary

pawpaw

QuoteWatched it, tried it, it just aint happenin' for me yet.......

Yeah, the season premier the other night felt slow - I think if it had been my first time watching it I may not have been that into it either. I think I was probably more excited because I'd spent some time with the characters and the stories last season. Give it another shot though - it really is one of the best things on tv deez dayz, imo.

Penny Lane

great episode! thoughts?

pawpaw

Quotegreat episode! thoughts?

I haven't seen it yet, and almost didn't open this thread...thanks for not spoiling anything. I didn't get home from a wedding until about 2 last night, but I'll probably catch it tonight.

What do you think of the season so far? A lot of focus on Don and Betty, their relationship, their family...and VERY sexual too. Damn, I think it was two episodes ago, but when Don was, ahem, negotiating with Jimmy Barrett's wife outside of the powder room at the restaurant... :o Pretty bold, even for basic cable ;D

I'm lovin' it so far...I say bring back the hippy woman from the Village though!