Jim and Conor Oberst seem so opposite

Started by the_sun_and_moon, Nov 06, 2008, 05:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

the sun and moon

I couldn't even imagine them being friends, let alone conversing. Jim is so lively and friendly, and Conor seems....not. I don't know, maybe it's just me? I was just watching one of Conor's interviews and thought, he's friends with Jim James?. Their music seems to be quite different too.

getinthevan

This is one of the reasons I'm really excited to hear the music they're making with M. Ward.
The Earth Is Not A Cold Dead Place

Penny Lane

on the surface conor seems annoying as hell (pretentious, whiny) and jim seems like the coolest guy ever, a guy you'd want to go have a beer with. i think a mutual respect for each other's music bridges those gaps---and deep down they're probably not so different (attention whores-check, great songwriters-check, love of collaboration-check, unique vocals-check)
but come on...there's nothing sexy about poop. Nothing.  -bbill

bold99

there is a great article written a few years ago by one of the girlfriends of the guys in the Black Keys about their trip to a festival in Europe and how all the bands were hanging out drinking and Conor was a complete prick.  I also remember a quote from Conor saying how he thinks Jim should not do MMJ and just make solo acoustic music.

I love M Ward..he seems like a such a cool guy and I can see him and Jim being great friends.
Last Fair Deal Gone Down...

xmascriminal

I've always wondered why Jim and Conor were friends too.  I can't imagine them hanging out. But are we sure they're friends at all? It might be all about wanting to collaborate. After all, despite Connor's I-just-finished-crying-or-am-about-to-cry vocal delivery, he does write great lyrics a lot of the time. I gotta admit though, I really would prefer an album with just Jim James and M. Ward. But if Conor's got to be there, I don't think he's going to stop me from enjoying it.

bold99

QuoteI've always wondered why Jim and Conor were friends too.  I can't imagine them hanging out. But are we sure they're friends at all? It might be all about wanting to collaborate. After all, despite Connor's I-just-finished-crying-or-am-about-to-cry vocal delivery, he does write great lyrics a lot of the time. I gotta admit though, I really would prefer an album with just Jim James and M. Ward. But if Conor's got to be there, I don't think he's going to stop me from enjoying it.

I completely agree with the just Jim and M ward statement.  I'll still get it with Conor but I'd prefer just the two of them like on M Ward's Post War.
Last Fair Deal Gone Down...

the sun and moon

QuoteI've always wondered why Jim and Conor were friends too.  I can't imagine them hanging out. But are we sure they're friends at all? It might be all about wanting to collaborate. After all, despite Connor's I-just-finished-crying-or-am-about-to-cry vocal delivery, he does write great lyrics a lot of the time. I gotta admit though, I really would prefer an album with just Jim James and M. Ward. But if Conor's got to be there, I don't think he's going to stop me from enjoying it.

Yes, just Jim and Ward would be amaaaaazing.

TGMC421

I completely agree with the just Jim and M ward statement.  I'll still get it with Conor but I'd prefer just the two of them like on M Ward's Post War.

Sigh...I wish   8-)

Ghosts_on_TV

Quotethere is a great article written a few years ago by one of the girlfriends of the guys in the Black Keys about their trip to a festival in Europe and how all the bands were hanging out drinking and Conor was a complete prick.  I also remember a quote from Conor saying how he thinks Jim should not do MMJ and just make solo acoustic music.

I love M Ward..he seems like a such a cool guy and I can see him and Jim being great friends.

There is no way Conor said Jim shouldn't be in MMJ.
Some girls mothers are bigger than others girls mothers...

dragonboy

How can we comment unless we know any of these people personally?

I wish Jacob London would get more respect...or at the very least, have more people check him out. He played on the same bill as Jim & M Ward @ this year's SXSW. Jacob opening for the Jacket? Now that would be special...

[media]http://jp.youtube.com/watch?v=HRuj1PkhdCg[/media]  

God will forgive them. He'll forgive them and allow them into Heaven.....I can't live with that.

the sun and moon

QuoteHow can we comment unless we know any of these people personally?

I wish Jacob London would get more respect...or at the very least, have more people check him out. He played on the same bill as Jim & M Ward @ this year's SXSW. Jacob opening for the Jacket? Now that would be special...

[media]http://jp.youtube.com/watch?v=HRuj1PkhdCg[/media]  

Of course, I totally agree, but I also used the word "seems". Conor seems that way, but I don't know him, so I'll never know but it definitely seems that way.