Out of pure curiosity..

Started by purvis9876, Nov 01, 2008, 11:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

purvis9876

How good are the guys at their instruments? What I mean by that is, I play the drums and am able to judge the type/skill of Patrick. And, out of curiosity sometimes, I wonder the skill for the rest of the guys. When I judge(judge not lest ye be judged  ;)) Patrick it's usually more of a comparison between him and more advanced drummers. So I guess what I'm trying to say is that how would Jim/Carl/Bo/TT match-up against <you fill in the blank>... Perhaps this is dumb..?
Evey: Are you, like, a crazy person?
V: I am quite sure they will say so.

vicecity

AllyDee

I don't know about skill of the instrument (because I would say Jim is a way better guitarist than him,) but I think Jim is starting to have a showmanship about him sort of like Bruce Springsteen.

Long shows, doing fancy moves all over the stage, the energy's always high

I don't know, just a thought

aMillionDreams

I think Jim is as good as or better than Carl at guitar.
The Unofficial Official MMJ Guitar Tabs Archive
[url="http://mmjtabs.50megs.com/"]http://mmjtabs.50megs.com/[/url]

AllyDee

QuoteI think Jim is as good as or better than Carl at guitar.

I'm pretty sure Jim has said he's not as good as Carl.....

aren't Carl and Bo both classically trained musicians?

aMillionDreams

QuoteI think Jim is as good as or better than Carl at guitar.

I'm pretty sure Jim has said he's not as good as Carl.....

aren't Carl and Bo both classically trained musicians?

Being classical trained doesn't necessarily make you a better musician.  I have more classical training than Jimi Hendrix ever did but that's doesn't make me any better than Hendrix in any way. Not for a second.

All of the great solos are Jim's: the end of One Big Holiday, War Begun, dondante...

The Unofficial Official MMJ Guitar Tabs Archive
[url="http://mmjtabs.50megs.com/"]http://mmjtabs.50megs.com/[/url]

cantrell-r

I'm going to have to disagree with that...I think the best solos are where they feed off each other.  Take Lay Low, Off the Record, Dondante and Run Thru for example.

DaFunkyPrecedent

I think Carl + Jim = Guitar greatness.  You need both of them together, just like you need Stone and Mike together.  Both bring a different style and energy to the guitar that make it as powerful as it is...

God damn those shaky knees.

AllyDee

yeah, Lay Low is probably the best example

that solo is life altering

tomEisenbraun

Quoteyeah, Lay Low is probably the best example

neck-mobility-altering as well.

As far as ability-wise, I think Jim's skill is sort of over-shadowed by his song-writing, which is a really good thing. I don't think anyone listens to these albums the first time around and only hears the solos, but when you see them live and keep listening to the records, it's very obvious that he's got a perfect idea of what he's doing with his instrument. I think one of those examples is the acoustic "They Ran" from Ch. 1, in that the guitar part is absolutely perfect for what he's doing there. It's nothing monumental in the world of guitar-mind-blowingness, but it is perfectly stated. I think that's where his skill is, because I've seen him pull some EVH style shred out of his ass when he came back from pneumonia to rock the Vanderbilt Rites of Spring show a couple years ago, we've all seen what's happened with Run Thru, Lay Low, Dondante, War Begun, One Big Holiday and on and on live, but I think what makes those perfect is not just the guitar skill, it's the ability to take that guitar skill and channel it straight into the energy of the song as it moves you. I've never heard one note freak me out so much as that part when "Off the Record" starts jamming out and Jim hits that one high note that he bends upwards with a certain ferocity as the whole band is locking down the groove underneath. That's knowing how to channel yourself.

I don't know if he could keep toe to toe with Jimmy Page on the exact same solos, but I think the two of them would have some incredible things to offer each other on stage. I think they both understand that energy, and would have equally differently powerful ideas to bring to the table. I'd rank him that high, yeah.

I'd say Carl is in the same boat, but I think he doesn't show it off like Jim does. This is really Jim's baby, and he gets all the freak-outs, but I feel like Carl is a very polished essential element to the band that can keep things wonderfully tight and intense. I think his skill is in holding things together and giving the Jim the perfect set-up, and when it's his turn to take the reins, it's perfect. He knows what he's doing and can take it to that next level, but I think his skill with the Jacket is in keeping a little bit understated and letting loose in an entirely different way than Jim.

Not that that really helped out this discussion.
The river is moving. The blackbird must be flying.

dragonboy

Here's a quote a made up from Elton John:

"You know who I really respect right now? The guy in that band My Morning Jacket, what's his name Jo? No wait...Bo! That guy can really play! He's definitely way better than me!"

So there you have it ladies & gents, Bo is better than Elton John!!!  :D
God will forgive them. He'll forgive them and allow them into Heaven.....I can't live with that.

tomEisenbraun

QuoteHere's a quote a made up from Elton John:

"You know who I really respect right now? The guy in that band My Morning Jacket, what's his name Jo? No wait...Bo! That guy can really play! He's definitely way better than me!"

So there you have it ladies & gents, Bo is better than Elton John!!!  :D

Complete and utter lies, Andrew. You know it.

The real question is, does Sir Elton have a "thing" for our good man, Bo?

dragonboy

QuoteComplete and utter lies, Andrew. You know it.

I thought putting something in about Bo being really fit but thought that might be taking my fictitious Elton quote a little too far  ;)
God will forgive them. He'll forgive them and allow them into Heaven.....I can't live with that.

tomEisenbraun

I thought putting something in about Bo being really fit but thought that might be taking my fictitious Elton quote a little too far  ;)

Dude, Sir Elton is totally rockin' a whiskey dick for Bo.

dragonboy

tomEisenbraun

buymycar

Does he want to take a ride on the Boller Koster?

tomEisenbraun

Does he want to take a ride on the Boller Koster?

Holy shit.

Razzzzzzzzzzzzzor sharp.

grace6697

Quoteyeah, Lay Low is probably the best example

neck-mobility-altering as well.

As far as ability-wise, I think Jim's skill is sort of over-shadowed by his song-writing, which is a really good thing. I don't think anyone listens to these albums the first time around and only hears the solos, but when you see them live and keep listening to the records, it's very obvious that he's got a perfect idea of what he's doing with his instrument. I think one of those examples is the acoustic "They Ran" from Ch. 1, in that the guitar part is absolutely perfect for what he's doing there. It's nothing monumental in the world of guitar-mind-blowingness, but it is perfectly stated. I think that's where his skill is, because I've seen him pull some EVH style shred out of his ass when he came back from pneumonia to rock the Vanderbilt Rites of Spring show a couple years ago, we've all seen what's happened with Run Thru, Lay Low, Dondante, War Begun, One Big Holiday and on and on live, but I think what makes those perfect is not just the guitar skill, it's the ability to take that guitar skill and channel it straight into the energy of the song as it moves you. I've never heard one note freak me out so much as that part when "Off the Record" starts jamming out and Jim hits that one high note that he bends upwards with a certain ferocity as the whole band is locking down the groove underneath. That's knowing how to channel yourself.

I don't know if he could keep toe to toe with Jimmy Page on the exact same solos, but I think the two of them would have some incredible things to offer each other on stage. I think they both understand that energy, and would have equally differently powerful ideas to bring to the table. I'd rank him that high, yeah.

I'd say Carl is in the same boat, but I think he doesn't show it off like Jim does. This is really Jim's baby, and he gets all the freak-outs, but I feel like Carl is a very polished essential element to the band that can keep things wonderfully tight and intense. I think his skill is in holding things together and giving the Jim the perfect set-up, and when it's his turn to take the reins, it's perfect. He knows what he's doing and can take it to that next level, but I think his skill with the Jacket is in keeping a little bit understated and letting loose in an entirely different way than Jim.

Not that that really helped out this discussion.

i read this board daily but rarely post. had to comment on this one though.

you totally hit it on the head. i have nothing to add. amazing.