We all may die or get really cold soon

Started by bowl_of_soup, Nov 11, 2008, 04:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bowl of soup

http://www.theatlantic.com/doc/200806/asteroids

It's about near earth objects (asteroids, comets, and the like), it's by Gregg Easterbrook, and is just a touch unnerving.
I'm not saying it's easy...walking into sweet oblivion.

TEO

Last winter was the first winter I was cold.......
"You are only as young as the last time you changed your mind" T. Leary

xmascriminal

This could happen at any time, so why would you worry about it? That's no way to live. If it happens, it's done. Until it does, if it does, it doesn't make sense to live your life in fear. That being said, if NASA could give us some kind of warning system, that'd be nice. That way we'll actually know when to be afraid.

Taterbug

Why not just catch a ride on a comet tail like these guys did.

"Things may come to those who wait, but only the things left by those who hustle" Honest Abe

bowl of soup

Don't get me wrong, I'm not losing sleep over it.  Hell, after most days at the office I secretly yearn for an asteroid to hit me on the head.  It just seems odd that we will spend untold billions to put a man back on the moon for no valid scientific reason while a real threat may exist.

xmascriminal

QuoteDon't get me wrong, I'm not losing sleep over it.  Hell, after most days at the office I secretly yearn for an asteroid to hit me on the head.  It just seems odd that we will spend untold billions to put a man back on the moon for no valid scientific reason while a real threat may exist.

We put a man on the moon so the Russians wouldn't mess with us.

bowl of soup

QuoteDon't get me wrong, I'm not losing sleep over it.  Hell, after most days at the office I secretly yearn for an asteroid to hit me on the head.  It just seems odd that we will spend untold billions to put a man back on the moon for no valid scientific reason while a real threat may exist.

And we're going back to scare the Chinese?

Taterbug

Are you SURE ?     I thought it was  staged on a movie set.  I could have sworn I saw a starbucks in the back ground when Neil Armstrong jumped outta the lander  :D
"Things may come to those who wait, but only the things left by those who hustle" Honest Abe

aMillionDreams

Are you SURE ?     I thought it was  staged on a movie set.  I could have sworn I saw a starbucks in the back ground when Neil Armstrong jumped outta the lander  :D

I thought we were going to Mars.  Remember around the time we accomplished our mission in Iraq...
The Unofficial Official MMJ Guitar Tabs Archive
[url="http://mmjtabs.50megs.com/"]http://mmjtabs.50megs.com/[/url]

ycartrob

Taterbug

Mars looks kinda boring to me.  I prefer Uranus.  ;)

Coltrane

....as mayor of Drugachusettes, I declare this pizza to be...AWESOME!!!

ycartrob

QuoteMars looks kinda boring to me.  I prefer Uranus.  ;)

I'd be on Uranus tonight, but it's too far away...

TheBigChicken

I wonder if she is even plugged in :-/ :-/ :-/
the fruit bats love makin' made all the kids cry

TGMC421

Holy shit!  Is that the Grim Reaper with a geetar??

bowl of soup

It is estimated that this thing was about ten meters (like that metric Canada?) across.  If it was even just ten times longer we may no longer have Western Canada to make fun of.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/v/3AZAxf8QvsQ&hl=en&fs=1[/media]

Taterbug

If thats a meteor it could be worth some cash ,  Just ask Joe dirt  :)

kydiddle

My hatred for this picture burns more than the fire and heat of all her STDs combined.
Cow temperature.