Why I won't use iTunes to buy music

Started by el_chode, Jan 21, 2009, 03:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

el_chode

Some of you may know me from other rants, such as "unions killed my music", "Bonnaroo is starting to suck", and "I won't buy music through iTunes but Candles and Panties made me do it anyway".

Well, I broke that promise to myself, and since I've been in a musical drought as of late, I decided I'd actually buy the new Umprhey's McGee after hearing so many great things (and 2 awesome tracks on Sirius).

So I bought the album, and I look at my downloads: 3 files were broken and did not download properly, and now 4 do not appear in my liberry. iTunes response, so far: oh, you lost them, shoulda back them up".

15 years ago, the idea of releasing a single song meant  that album sales would go up, thus encouraging the art of the album - the inclusion of that roar at the beginning of at dawn to the eventual face-punch of Strangulation - the effort of choosing what track goes where, the opener, the closer, etc. Now, it is my fear that not only is the downloading of music discouraging album art, the cohesive album structure, etc, but the service that was supposed to revitalize music  and end the concept of a wallet-raping industry seems to be double-raping me, requiring me to pay for the same songs twice.

This is why the music industry can't have nice things. It's because they treat their customers like mindless saps.

/rant over

[size=8]And yes, I know that the oldsters complain that the CD meant the end of strategic openers and closers for each side of an album, but still. [/size]
I'm surrounded by assholes

searchinbig

Ranting is good.

I have not purchased a single song from Spytunes, including Candles And Panties.

I would not even have an ipod in my house if not for my daughter.

Sooner or later I may give in but at least I have some thing to look forward to.

I agree something is lost here as far as art and something in the physical sense.
"Somewhere out there is a land that's cool, where peace and balance are the rule."

el_chode

Did it have to be the second thing I ever purchased though? Really? Is it that bad of a service that a screw up was just that likely?

I love my iPod. I have close to 50 different Ween, Wilco, and MMJ shows to take with me wherever I go. It's great.

However, gone are the days of waiting and waiting with anticipation for that new album to come out - sitting in school, getting all antsy knowing that I'd be riding my bike to the local record store to get it before my friends.

Angry Ewok

My response to the broken files that you paid for -

Limewire.
--- and that's 2 real 4 u.

el_chode

I use audiogalaxy, but I've started only getting live tracks. I'm in law school for Copryright law after all...so, yeah...haha. Though my approach is that the RIAA is wrong, and I'm here to learn how to better fight such asshattery.

edit: I do not know why I typed audiogalaxy, I meant to say soulseek. However, it should be noted that the world's greatest downloading service to never make it still stands strong in my memory.

Taterbug

QuoteI use audiogalaxy, but I've started only getting live tracks. I'm in law school for Copryright law after all...so, yeah...haha. Though my approach is that the RIAA is wrong, and I'm here to learn how to better fight such asshattery.

We could of used your expertise back in april or may when  a former member posted a link to a leek of evil urges.  It got pretty exciting around here for a while to say the least.  

I love my Ipod touch, you just gotta back-up your shit.  I don't buy much at the store.  I do have my entire MMJ catalog on it.  

Plus it also helps me calculate kentucky windage and distance with my sniper rifle  ;)
"Things may come to those who wait, but only the things left by those who hustle" Honest Abe

Angry Ewok

As the forum's official NRA representative, I do not endorse the sniper rifle iPhone accessory.

;D
--- and that's 2 real 4 u.

el_chode

My "leak" was the NPR stream. I listened to it non-stop at work.

I don't have much expertise yet; I won't get to the meaty stuff until next semester. I'm just getting rid of the pre-reqs now. My school has a concentration specifically geared towards this area of the law though.

Taterbug

QuoteAs the forum's official NRA representative, I do not endorse the sniper rifle iPhone accessory.

;D

Good god Angry. I thought squirrels stored there nuts in there mouths ;D.
He has some  enormes pelotas :)
"Things may come to those who wait, but only the things left by those who hustle" Honest Abe

el_chode

QuoteAs the forum's official NRA representative, I do not endorse the sniper rifle iPhone accessory.

;D

Non-sequitor: I'm listening to the outro of Run Thru and it totally syncs up with your avatar

aMillionDreams

QuoteMy "leak" was the NPR stream. I listened to it non-stop at work.

I don't have much expertise yet; I won't get to the meaty stuff until next semester. I'm just getting rid of the pre-reqs now. My school has a concentration specifically geared towards this area of the law though.

Oh, so you have no respect for the band?

Just joking. Just wanted to give you a taste of what it was like around here then.  

I understand your position but you kinda sound like my father in law when he waxes poetic about how much 8 track machines rocked. the world of music is changing because technology is changing. some shit itunes does gets on my nerves (DRM), but I get over it.
The Unofficial Official MMJ Guitar Tabs Archive
[url="http://mmjtabs.50megs.com/"]http://mmjtabs.50megs.com/[/url]

Taterbug

;D

Non-sequitor: I'm listening to the outro of Run Thru and it totally syncs up with your avatar

Which one ? My more cowbell or Angrys swaying nut pouch ?

el_chode

QuoteMy "leak" was the NPR stream. I listened to it non-stop at work.

Oh, so you have no respect for the band?

Just joking. Just wanted to give you a taste of what it was like around here then.  

I understand your position but you kinda sound like my father in law when he waxes poetic about how much 8 track machines rocked. the world of music is changing because technology is changing. some shit itunes does gets on my nerves (DRM), but I get over it.

No you're right, but not all tech advances are necessarily beneficial. Like I said, the purists ranted about this when CDs eliminated the double-side, so you no longer had to orchestrate an album to have a side A opener and closer and a side B opener and closer.

The bigger picture I worry about is that when the whole art of creating a cohesive album is no longer relevant as a selling point, and only becomes a point of artistic endeavor that labels will no longer invest in such artists or albums. The industry model will become the iTunes single - singles that don't even have a b-side.

And the NPR stream was totally legit! it was on their site with the Whigs and Yo La Tengo.

I could only imagine the debates that erupted when the album came out. Especially that EU had such force behind it.

Still, the over all theme here is that the laws are still analog while the world is becoming increasingly digital, which is a problem. And the answer is not suing your customers and putting stupid little tricks on your products so your customers can't really use them. Glad to know apple eliminated the DRM.

el_chode

;D

Which one ? My more cowbell or Angrys swaying nut pouch ?

Your cowbell. It was the kickdrum in Run Thru

aMillionDreams

I agree with you about losing the concept of an "album".  It's a damn shame, but it's the new reality.  I know I'll still cherish gems that pop up from time to time that throwback to this concept like At Dawn.

And hey, the purists who said that vinyl will never die might have been on to something.  Hopefully the album will live one as well.
The Unofficial Official MMJ Guitar Tabs Archive
[url="http://mmjtabs.50megs.com/"]http://mmjtabs.50megs.com/[/url]

el_chode

QuoteI agree with you about losing the concept of an "album".  It's a damn shame, but it's the new reality.  I know I'll still cherish gems that pop up from time to time that throwback to this concept like At Dawn.

And hey, the purists who said that vinyl will never die might have been on to something.  Hopefully the album will live one as well.

I think the album format will survive in the hands of a few bands like MMJ and maybe UM. But that's not the problem - I mean I'd love to produce an album in this style, but people like me aren't the ones that are playing the instruments and getting places with them. I've tried, I can't even get a drummer let alone an album together haha

el_chode

Ok, after pushing it (kindly, I must add), I got through to a rep who has placed the missing tracks in my Queue to be downloaded at no charge.

I am now content! (but don't let that end any ranting)

Crispy

QuoteI agree with you about losing the concept of an "album".  It's a damn shame, but it's the new reality.  I know I'll still cherish gems that pop up from time to time that throwback to this concept like At Dawn.

This is why I'm back to only buying records. Pretty much everything that I'm interested in is now being produced on vinyl, and I think it's getting bigger - the stacks at the record stores are growing anyway. Also most include a digital download code or even a cd inside.
"...it's gonna be great -- I mean me coming back with the band and playing all those hits again"

goose

I rented movies from i tunes when I went out west.  IT was wonderful. You can save them for 30 days.  Once you watch you have 24 hrs then it just drops them off you ipod.  They even stopped downloading in the middle when my comp shut off cause the battery sucks ass.  I turned it back on, and they started downloading from where they stopped.  No problems at all.
Hooked on four like one, two, three

Jaimoe

I don't have any intention of ever buying anything from iTunes. I don't own an iPod, cellphone, blackberry etc...

I like albums in their physical form. Downloading can never give you the same intimate experience you have with an actual album, no matter how many virtual bells and whistles come with the download.