Forum B-ball team and 100 - 0 coach

Started by bowl_of_soup, Jan 29, 2009, 11:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bowl of soup

There's no way I'm giving up the 2.  I'm 6' 3" and have never met a 3 that I don't like.  I didn't play organized college ball (I was busy with other endeavors), but hardly a day has gone by in my life (until recently) where I didn't play.

As for the 100 - 0 coach, there is another side to the story, read it here:

http://www.flightbasketball.com/100-0-Texas-Game-Response-From-Coach.html

The truth is usually somewhere in the middle, but I'm not so sure fully buy the initial story about jacking 3's and pressing the whole game.  He only had 8 girls on his team and they made 4 3's in the entire game.
I'm not saying it's easy...walking into sweet oblivion.

BH

Well, at 6'-3 you could slide to forward right?   Otherwise, I guess I'll go to one, but I don't think my ball handling skills are what they used to be.
I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

mjkoehler

Uhh being 5' 8", stubby, (white), and posessing the maneuverability of a slow submarine trying to wade through a lake of jello, I can apprectiate some ball.  :-?

More of a horse man myself because of said skills. I can at least hit a decent jump shot. Hell I have to because if I try to drive the lane, it only leads to comedic results, rejection, and people yelling IN DA FACE! :o

NoVa_NoLa

QuoteThere's no way I'm giving up the 2.  I'm 6' 3" and have never met a 3 that I don't like.  

;D

As for the 100 - 0 coach, there is another side to the story, read it here: http://www.flightbasketball.com/100-0-Texas-Game-Response-From-Coach.html

Thanks for that link, but I'm still thinking that this guy was in the wrong.  100 points is a very high point tally for kids at this level.

I coached 7-8 grade girls at a small private, Catholic school for a few years.  We practiced when we could, I never had a full roster, and I could keep going with excuses.  But, in the few instances when my guards were easily able to steal the ball, and my forward/centers grabbed every rebound, I pulled them back.  As in, time out taken, subs in, me to team "play good defense, don't foul, but no steals.  Kind of like when we work on dribbling or passing in practice.  Let them get the ball up court."  Offense was 4 corners, 15 passes before any shot was taken.  Or, we ran a new offense that we weren't very good with -- again with a minimum number of passes as a caveat.

To not score a single point...and I have not seen a box score, but no foul shots attempted/made?  I wonder how many shots the losing team attempted?  I don't know, I just think that for kids this age to score 100 points (to zero) is outrageous.

bowl of soup

QuoteUhh being 5' 8", stubby, (white), and posessing the maneuverability of a slow submarine trying to wade through a lake of jello, I can apprectiate some ball.  :-?

More of a horse man myself because of said skills. I can at least hit a decent jump shot. Hell I have to because if I try to drive the lane, it only leads to comedic results, rejection, and people yelling IN DA FACE! :o

You could be Shooter.

bowl of soup

QuoteThere's no way I'm giving up the 2.  I'm 6' 3" and have never met a 3 that I don't like.  

;D

As for the 100 - 0 coach, there is another side to the story, read it here: http://www.flightbasketball.com/100-0-Texas-Game-Response-From-Coach.html

Thanks for that link, but I'm still thinking that this guy was in the wrong.  100 points is a very high point tally for kids at this level.

I coached 7-8 grade girls at a small private, Catholic school for a few years.  We practiced when we could, I never had a full roster, and I could keep going with excuses.  But, in the few instances when my guards were easily able to steal the ball, and my forward/centers grabbed every rebound, I pulled them back.  As in, time out taken, subs in, me to team "play good defense, don't foul, but no steals.  Kind of like when we work on dribbling or passing in practice.  Let them get the ball up court."  Offense was 4 corners, 15 passes before any shot was taken.  Or, we ran a new offense that we weren't very good with -- again with a minimum number of passes as a caveat.

To not score a single point...and I have not seen a box score, but no foul shots attempted/made?  I wonder how many shots the losing team attempted?  I don't know, I just think that for kids this age to score 100 points (to zero) is outrageous.

I agree.  I also coached middle school kids for a few years and big gaps in talent are magnified at that level.  It's also hard to reign in kids at that level, especially if you only have 3 people on the bench.  I usually had 4 or 5 guys who had no ability or desire to even really play that I could rely on in situations like that.

I just don't think it is as bad as reported and this coach seemed to have a positive impact on the girls he coached.  The fact that the other teamed posted zero is the most telling thing - maybe it was time for a zone that didn't move.

TheBigChicken

Is it really worth the guys job....people can get over losing a game because well...it's a game....firing this guy....maybe a bit much :-/
the fruit bats love makin' made all the kids cry

aMillionDreams

I play big like Barkley and I play some tenacious D!

I think we could bet the Wilco team 100-0
The Unofficial Official MMJ Guitar Tabs Archive
[url="http://mmjtabs.50megs.com/"]http://mmjtabs.50megs.com/[/url]

mjkoehler

QuoteUhh being 5' 8", stubby, (white), and posessing the maneuverability of a slow submarine trying to wade through a lake of jello, I can apprectiate some ball.  :-?

You could be Shooter.

You know what *else* could draw a crowd? A golfer with an arm growing out of his ass.

ycartrob

these days I'm all about the shot from the tree stump, the bounce in off the parking lot, the roll-off-the-roof-catch-in-mid-air-and-shoot shot, the lying on your back, the behind the backboard, the no look over the shoulder.

horse is spelled

[size=24]H O R S E[/size]

primushead

BH

QuoteSo it's a game of Horse  you're after?  Bring it.  

This kid is on my team, btw.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DV6GVFwLT6o&feature=PlayList&p=59B567FAEA2722E9&playnext=1&index=17[/media]

I could do that if I was 5'-11" instead of 5'-9.5".  It's that last inch and a half that I'm missing.

Tracy, that picture rules.   Look at those arms!
I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

bowl of soup

I'm thinking we run a 3 guard set - if so I'll play the 3.  We still need a point and a post though.  I seem to remember the boys talking about playing alot of ball while recording EU.  Perhaps they'd like a game; Patrick could be a force inside.

There's no way the Wilco board has a team, but that Danzig team has me worried.  At least we have a coach:

mjkoehler

We can take the Danzig team. Just mention the time Glenn got knocked da fuck out. It will totally demoralize em.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zfD7agP1yxw

ycartrob

Tracy, that picture rules.   Look at those arms!

5'7"  115 lbs of point guard fury!

red

Quote5'7"  115 lbs of point guard fury!

#3 in your programs, #1 in your hearts.