Started by ycartrob, Jun 15, 2008, 03:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ycartrob

Angry Ewok

--- and that's 2 real 4 u.

ycartrob

[size=20]8 WEEKS!     56 DAYS!![/size]

SI's 10 Defining Games of 2008

1. Ohio State at USC, Sept. 13. This showdown of likely top five teams is as much about credibility as anything. After consecutive BCS title game whitewashings, the Buckeyes desperately need a win, or at least a down-to-the-wire finish, to show they're capable of competing at the highest level. New Trojans starting QB Mark Sanchez, meanwhile, will be under the prime-time spotlight.

2. Florida vs. Georgia, Nov. 1. While the annual Cocktail Party in Jacksonville is always a huge deal for Dawgs and Gators fans, rarely has it garnered the type of national attention that will likely surround the game should both teams maintain their hold in the national-title race. Florida has won 15 of the past 18 meetings, but Georgia seemed to break the hex with an emotional 42-30 win last season.

3. Georgia at Arizona State, Sept. 20. Long before the Dawgs get their shot at the Gators, they'll need to survive both the desert heat and a program on the rise in a rare (for Georgia) intersectional matchup. Sun Devils QB Rudy Carpenter is a proven commodity, but he'll need a dramatically improved offensive line to survive Georgia's suffocating defensive front. ASU allowed 55 sacks last season.

4. Oklahoma vs. Texas, Oct. 11. While it's no guarantee the two Red River rivals will make it to their Shootout unscathed -- Oklahoma faces early challenges from Cincinnati, Washington and TCU; Texas faces old nemesis Arkansas -- they're still likely to be vying for no less than a Big 12 championship. Between them, the two schools have won five of the past six crowns (though the Sooners claimed all but one of those).

5. Ohio State at Wisconsin, Oct. 4. While many cynics assume the loaded Buckeyes will once again cruise through the "soft" Big Ten, this game represents an unquestioned challenge. The last time these teams played in Madison, in 2003, the Badgers snapped a 19-game Ohio State winning streak -- and that was before Wisconsin began its current run of four-straight seasons of nine or more victories.

6. LSU at Auburn, Sept. 20. No SEC rivalry has been more intense in recent years than this one. The winner has gone on to claim the West Division title in six of the past eight seasons, and the past four meetings have all been decided by six points or less. Whoever wins will pave the path for even bigger games later on -- both face Georgia and Alabama, while Auburn hosts Tennessee and LSU visits Florida.

7. Texas at Texas Tech, Nov. 1. The schedule sets up favorably for the Red Raiders -- who return QB Graham Harrell, WR Michael Crabtree and eight other starters on offense -- to make a run at their first Big 12 South title, but to do so they'll almost certainly have to snap their five-game losing streak to the Longhorns. The ever-outspoken Mike Leach claims poor officiating contributed to the past two defeats.

8. Missouri vs. Kansas, Nov. 29. It is highly unlikely this year's Border War will carry quite the same gargantuan stakes as last season, particularly for the Jayhawks, who play a much tougher schedule this season. Don't be surprised, however, if Chase Daniel and the Tigers go into this game with multiple title aspirations, especially since they face neither Oklahoma nor Texas Tech during the regular season.

9. Auburn at West Virginia, Oct. 23. While the game has no bearing on the Mountaineers' attempt to repeat as Big East champs, a victory over a respected SEC foe would do wonders for their résumé should they enter the national-title discussion. This Thursday-night showcase is also likely to play a key role in West Virginia QB Pat White's quest for the Heisman.

10. BYU at Utah, Nov. 22. If the pundits are correct, the highly touted Cougars (22-4 over the past two seasons) could go into their season-ending rivalry game with a BCS berth on the line. It's not inconceivable, however, that the Utes could be playing for the same stakes. They return nearly the entire offense after winning eight of their last nine a year ago -- the sole defeat coming on a last-second touchdown by BYU in Provo.

Angry Ewok

I guessed #24, so that's lower than I expected but not too much.

QuoteWe're guessing Alabama beats at least one of the four potential preseason top-10 teams on their schedule (Clemson, Georgia, LSU and Auburn) on the way to an 8-5 finish that includes an appearance in the Cotton, Chick-fil-A or Music City bowls.

The Chick-fil-A Bowl would be a great entry for BAMA.

TheBigChicken

QuoteI guessed #24, so that's lower than I expected but not too much.

QuoteWe're guessing Alabama beats at least one of the four potential preseason top-10 teams on their schedule (Clemson, Georgia, LSU and Auburn) on the way to an 8-5 finish that includes an appearance in the Cotton, Chick-fil-A or Music City bowls.

The Chick-fil-A Bowl would be a great entry for BAMA.
P.Bryant would probably rather eat his checkered hat than coach in the chicken nugget bowl.... ;D
the fruit bats love makin' made all the kids cry

Angry Ewok

Yeah, but Paul Bryant had seven national championship teams - anything less than a ring wasn't good enough for him.

Nick Saban needs a few years to get us within winning the west, much less the conference, much less the national.

EAZYE

Quotetop 2008 Running Backs

http://collegefootball.rivals.com/viewCFSE.asp?selposition=5

Look for my boy Demarco Murray to move up that list  ;)  

Is it time to start all the big 12 smack talk, crispy, bh, mj,  I can't wait for the season to start ;D
I painted my name on the back of a leaf
and I watched it float away

mjkoehler

At least MO, OK, & TX will be good. I expect NE to be mediocre this season. They have a lot of Callahan recruits still to deal with. They might surprise me but I look for a .500 season.  :-/ Maybe Osborne's return as AD and Palini's return will fire them up. They certainly needed it after the embarrasing season last year. ugh that was just painful to watch.

ycartrob

QuoteThey certainly needed it after the embarrasing season last year. ugh that was just painful to watch.

what on earth do you mean?

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MFnWaHCfPAI[/media]

mjkoehler

Gee thanks. I almost had that out of my memory.

ycartrob

Angry Ewok

[size=18]Alabama is going 11-2. You heard it here first.[/size]

TheBigChicken

Who are the losses to....Is one of them to the Dawgs???? ;) ;) ;)   So much love will turn to HATE really soon ;D....I love the picture of Jim Jones... ;D
the fruit bats love makin' made all the kids cry

megalicious

someone should photoshop a halo around saban's head...
all facts begin as dreams dreamt by the wizard

harpua51

I used to pull for Bama in the West half of the SEC...now that Nick Saban is coach!!!  Screw Bama!  He is a money hungry idiot!  He got my favorite blog spot in the history of blog spots shut down.  
someone should photoshop a halo around saban's head...

I used to pull for Bama in the West half of the SEC...now that Nick Saban is coach!!!  Screw Bama!  He is a money hungry idiot!  He got my favorite blog spot in the history of blog spots shut down.  SEC POON.COM

That was the best blog spot ever!  Gorgeous southern women sporting their team colors!  I hate you Nick Saban!  HATE HATE HATE!!!!

harpua51

Ewok

Not a chance!  you guys will be lucky as hell to get 9 wins this year!  The west is tough....i think you guys are a couple of years away from a record that strong

Angry Ewok

Ewok

Not a chance!  you guys will be lucky as hell to get 9 wins this year!  The west is tough....i think you guys are a couple of years away from a record that strong

Dudes... I'm a pretty realistic BAMA fan who enjoys playing the role of the typical BAMMER during the lead-up weeks to the season... The typical BAMMER, the one who expects a National Title every single year, is what makes rooting for this team so fun, for me... Ever heard the expression living in hope, dying in despair? Yeah.

I already said in this very thread that it may be at least three years before we're winning the West, much less the conference, much less the Nation.

[size=18]Expect me to predict an undefeated season before the season starts. [/size]

QuoteI used to pull for Bama in the West half of the SEC...now that Nick Saban is coach!!!  Screw Bama!  He is a money hungry idiot!  He got my favorite blog spot in the history of blog spots shut down.  SEC POON.COM

That was the best blog spot ever!  Gorgeous southern women sporting their team colors!  I hate you Nick Saban!  HATE HATE HATE!!!!

Dude, you're an idiot, SECPoon will never be taken down...

[link=http://poonsec.blogspot.com/]BEST WEBSITE EVER![/link]

ycartrob

[link=http://poonsec.blogspot.com/]BEST WEBSITE EVER![/link]

not safe for work  (yikes!)