Music And Kids And Learning

Started by KY_Kid, Feb 06, 2009, 09:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jones

I do not come from a musical family and did not start learning guitar until the age of 15 (self-taught and proud of it!).  Now I have kids myself and a room full of instruments for my kids to tinker with... My two year old loves to peck on the piano and has now been given full-time access to a harmonica (she plays it non-stop).  When she is a few years older I will offer to teach her guitar...

So..... Who plays an instrument?  What instrument?  When did you start?  Do/did your parents play?  Did they teach you?  Are you self-taught?  Classically trained?  Let's hear your story...

goose

Self taught on guitar(With help from friends); played sax in elementary and middle school.  I am trying to find a used one at the right price now, but they are really expensive still used.
Hooked on four like one, two, three

mjkoehler

Self taught with some help of a friend. Picked up the axe 3 years ago and the ripe age of 33. Only other musical talent was trombone playing in Jr High. Yes, I was a tromboner.

My son has shown some aptitube while messing around on my guitar. I tried to teach him the basic chords but I do not have the patience or the real knowledge to do so. He will be getting real lessons.

ALady

Piano from age 5, violin from 9, dabbled in flute and french horn in junior high and high school.  Guitar as of last year and uke as of...Christmas.   ;D

The earlier you can get your kids playing, the better - their minds are like little sponges.  And I strongly believe there's a connection between musical training and academic success.  Plus, it's fun   :)
if it falls apart or makes us millionaires

aMillionDreams

I learned violin when I was seven.  I always played around on the piano because we had one, but I didn't take lessons until I was in college.  I switch from violin to guitar when I was 13.  I took about two months of lessons and learned the rest that I know from playing with other people.
The Unofficial Official MMJ Guitar Tabs Archive
[url="http://mmjtabs.50megs.com/"]http://mmjtabs.50megs.com/[/url]

FACE

i started playing trumpet when i was 7 and have been playing since. classically trained, originally, moved on to jazz once i hit high school, and from there it was just free form, whatever i wanted and whatever i thought sounded good.
i also started piano when i was five, quit when i was twelve, and started playing again when i was fifteen (reteaching myself).
i can play the clarinet and drums, too.

i cannot, for the life of me, play any string instruments - guitar, bass, nothin'. it's too hard. there's too much goin' on.

goose

QuoteSelf taught with some help of a friend. Picked up the axe 3 years ago and the ripe age of 33. Only other musical talent was trombone playing in Jr High. Yes, I was a tromboner.

My son has shown some aptitube while messing around on my guitar. I tried to teach him the basic chords but I do not have the patience or the real knowledge to do so. He will be getting real lessons.

In junior high, I switched from Alto sax to Baritone sax, then to trombone.  I taught myself every night new things for about 3 months.  It was one of the hardest transitions in my musical life.
Hooked on four like one, two, three

weeniebeenie

My sister taught me to play a few guitar chords. After that I just picked it up really easily. Watching Carl on Okonokos has helped beyond belief. I also play drums and a little bass.
One day I will learn the keyboard!
How loud can silence get?

dragonboy

My dad was a drummer until his knee gave in his early 60s.

I tried to learn to play the guitar in my late teens (who doesn't, right?) but was absolute CRAP! Still want to give it another shot someday...
God will forgive them. He'll forgive them and allow them into Heaven.....I can't live with that.