Jim on Levon Helm

Started by ChiefCrowe, Nov 12, 2008, 10:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kenny76

All opinion is subjective so it doesn't really matter who makes these lists, but I like to read some of the opinions.  I read this list the other day, but didn't make it as far as #91, so I'm glad I found this thread.   Jim's write-up on Levon Helm is one of the best I've read.  "Levon's voice is the equivalent of a sturdy old farmhouse that has stood for years in the fields, weathering all kinds of change yet remaining unmovable."  Exactly!

I think my favorite Levon Helm vocal is on "When I Paint My Masterpiece", which is a Bob Dylan song.   But Levon sings it exactly the way I want to live it.

It was only a few years ago that I began to truly appreciate The Band.  They sing about nothing but life with all of its troubles and triumphs and you have to live it before you understand it.   Whereas when I was 18, nothing was better than Led Zeppelin, because it took you away from life.  But I still love Led Zep from time to time...

Murph

Here is who Jim actually voted for, he has some interesting choices...also think that its ironic that he voted for both Richard Manuel and Rick Danko but NOT Levon Helm.

http://www.rollingstone.com/photos/gallery/24160218/the_100_greatest_singers_inside_t/photo/11

lasvegas

QuoteHere is who Jim actually voted for, he has some interesting choices...also think that its ironic that he voted for both Richard Manuel and Rick Danko but NOT Levon Helm.

http://www.rollingstone.com/photos/gallery/24160218/the_100_greatest_singers_inside_t/photo/11

Is there a doctor in the house tonight?

The DARK

I like how he gives credit to where his vocal style came from (Wayne Coyne, Neil Young), but as a result I think he's going more for his personal favories than talent (Bob Dylan at #6). Nothing against that though, it just makes for a bad Rolling Stone list.  ;)
In another time, in another place, in another face

dragonboy

I enjoyed reading those, thanks 4 posting  :)
God will forgive them. He'll forgive them and allow them into Heaven.....I can't live with that.

DaFunkyPrecedent

QuoteI like how he gives credit to where his vocal style came from (Wayne Coyne, Neil Young), but as a result I think he's going more for his personal favories than talent (Bob Dylan at #6). Nothing against that though, it just makes for a bad Rolling Stone list.  ;)

who are you to say what talent is?  really...i'm curious to know.  
God damn those shaky knees.

xmascriminal

People are always comparing Jim to Wayne Coyne but I don't really hear it. The only real similarity is that they're both influenced by Neil Young. I don't hear anything of Wayne specifically.

goose

HE also talks about Levon Helm on an video interview on the bonnaroo website.  I saw it this morning on the main page, www.bonnaroo.com.  The video interviews are on the main page under the pics.  I went to check out any news on the coming year, and was welcomed by a pic of Jim from this year doing a leg kick.  Awesome!
Hooked on four like one, two, three

The DARK

QuoteI like how he gives credit to where his vocal style came from (Wayne Coyne, Neil Young), but as a result I think he's going more for his personal favories than talent (Bob Dylan at #6). Nothing against that though, it just makes for a bad Rolling Stone list.  ;)

who are you to say what talent is?  really...i'm curious to know.  

Referring more to technical skill. One probably wouldn't call Bob Dylan the most versatile singer compared to, say, Robert Plant or Marvin Gaye. But listening to Nashville Skyline, I would say it's less about what his voice can do than what he decides to do with it.
In another time, in another place, in another face

Jbones72

Quoteis Chris Robinson on there?

Nope...and no Ray Davies, I was glad to see Jim put Gram Parsons on his list!

axround3r

i get that gay mag, cool to see JJ on levon... but Jerry not making the list .
like that homo dj. khaled would say the dead are the fuckenn besst

xmascriminal

Jerry Garcia isn't a great singer. Awesome guitar player though.

walterfredo

QuoteJerry Garcia isn't a great singer

You are dead to me.

xmascriminal

You are dead to me.

I've just always prefered the songs Phil Lesh and Bob Weir sing.

the_wizzard

You are dead to me.

Are you serious?  Really?  :-?  You can't be serious.

the_wizzard

bold99

You are dead to me.

Um...I'm the biggest Phil fan in the world...but he can't sing.  Jerry was the man.
Last Fair Deal Gone Down...

aMillionDreams

You are dead to me.

Um...I'm the biggest Phil fan in the world...but he can't sing.  Jerry was the man.

yeah, I'm pretty sure the "let the bassist sing" chants were not totally genuine or at least based on skill.  And I like the songs Bobby sings but his voice doesn't touch Jerry's.
The Unofficial Official MMJ Guitar Tabs Archive
[url="http://mmjtabs.50megs.com/"]http://mmjtabs.50megs.com/[/url]

bold99

You are dead to me.

yeah, I'm pretty sure the "let the bassist sing" chants were not totally genuine or at least based on skill.  And I like the songs Bobby sings but his voice doesn't touch Jerry's.

Jerry had so much soul in his voice...it was unique.  I love Phil and there are a few songs he sings that are not bad but yeah for the most it is not very good.  This is why he hires singers for his bands.  
Last Fair Deal Gone Down...