Jim's Ballot for RS's 100 Greatest Singers

Started by Bermuda_Hitchhiker, Nov 20, 2008, 05:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tomEisenbraun

QuoteAs my better half says, he doesn't so much "sing" his songs as he "is" the song.

Which is exactly why he deserves that nomination.
The river is moving. The blackbird must be flying.

Angry Ewok

I cringed when I saw Bob Dylan on the list. Songwriter? Absolutely. Singer? Not so much.
--- and that's 2 real 4 u.

Grateful Chabo

"Listen to the river sing sweet songs to rock my soul."

tomEisenbraun

It's not "Best" singers, it's "Greatest" singers. I wouldn't rather hear Elvis sing Tom Waits' music or Pavarotti fill in for Bob Dylan. Hell, I'm sure this Alter Bridge asshole is technically a great singer, but his music sucks. There are people out there who are awful singers who make absolutely incredible music. I feel like M. Ward could fit that bill. The man is technically a terrible singer. His voice is all sorts of screwed. But it's what makes his music beautiful. So much soul from such a broken voice. Duet For Guitars reveals that perfectly. It's easily his rawest album, and there are songs like "Song From Debbie's Stairs" where his voice is absolutely shot but it helps develop the atmosphere of the song.

Is he technically a great singer? Not a bit. But he's a definitely a musician who understands the power of his voice in conjunction with the power of his instrument and uses it all together to make some incredibly beautiful musical moments. And that's what makes him a great singer.

Maybe he doesn't belong on the list, though.
The river is moving. The blackbird must be flying.

Grateful Chabo

QuoteIt's not "Best" singers, it's "Greatest" singers. I wouldn't rather hear Elvis sing Tom Waits' music or Pavarotti fill in for Bob Dylan. Hell, I'm sure this Alter Bridge asshole is technically a great singer, but his music sucks. There are people out there who are awful singers who make absolutely incredible music. I feel like M. Ward could fit that bill. The man is technically a terrible singer. His voice is all sorts of screwed. But it's what makes his music beautiful. So much soul from such a broken voice. Duet For Guitars reveals that perfectly. It's easily his rawest album, and there are songs like "Song From Debbie's Stairs" where his voice is absolutely shot but it helps develop the atmosphere of the song.

Is he technically a great singer? Not a bit. But he's a definitely a musician who understands the power of his voice in conjunction with the power of his instrument and uses it all together to make some incredibly beautiful musical moments. And that's what makes him a great singer.

Maybe he doesn't belong on the list, though.

kinda like blind willie johnson...great singer
"Listen to the river sing sweet songs to rock my soul."

Kenny76

I think if they took this poll again and gave ballots only to musicians under the age of 40, you'd see quite a generational divide.  Jim James would easily be in the top 100, for starters.  But a good number of these names would remain fixed.  I mean, Neil Young, Marvin Gaye, John Lennon, Stevie Wonder... timeless.

DaFunkyPrecedent

QuoteI cringed when I saw Bob Dylan on the list. Songwriter? Absolutely. Singer? Not so much.

you have no idea what your talking about.
God damn those shaky knees.

aMillionDreams

QuoteI cringed when I saw Bob Dylan on the list. Songwriter? Absolutely. Singer? Not so much.

you have no idea what your talking about.

Have I ever told you I love you, DFP?
The Unofficial Official MMJ Guitar Tabs Archive
[url="http://mmjtabs.50megs.com/"]http://mmjtabs.50megs.com/[/url]

capt. scotty

The best of all those ballots was this:

Melissa Etheridge at #16 on David Crosby's ballot

I wonder what note she hit when that turkey baster was up her.....umm, nevermind

..I also learned celebs of the last 30 years havent heard of a pencil. Id hate to see their scantrons
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

SmokinShootin

I agree with Jim's the most, expecially with having Marvin Gaye number 1.  I like the way Jim thinks

SmokinShootin

he didn't even put Levon Helm on his ballot, I wonder why he did the review of him then.

buymycar

Quotehe didn't even put Levon Helm on his ballot, I wonder why he did the review of him then.

Maybe because he had both Rick Danko and Richard Manuel on there?

capt. scotty

After looking at those again, I cant believe only **2** people had Frank Sinatra on their list period, and BB King was the only person to have him higher than #15 (BB had Frank @ 2)

BB King was also the only person with Ella Fitzgerald anywhere on their list
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

red

These are so great.  Love to see everyone's writing; Jim and I have a similar style.  Just remember, ALL CAPS when you spell the man name.