Stewart v. Cramer

Started by bowl_of_soup, Mar 13, 2009, 09:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bowl of soup

See the footage here:

http://rickytreon.com/?p=479

Can you say ass kicking?
I'm not saying it's easy...walking into sweet oblivion.

pawpaw

I thought this was going to be some attorney/law student thread where you guys talked about a ruling  ;D

I'll watch it this weekend...thanks BOS.
"I'm able to sing because I'm able to fly, son. You heard me right..."

el_chode

Total smackdown.

Someone once said Jon Stewart is our contemporary Mark Twain. I think it fits with his mix of humor, satire, and disguised brutal commentary.
I'm surrounded by assholes

Leontheslut

That was so incredibly uncomfortable to watch.

I love the DS, but Stewart doesn't give a lot of his interviews a fair chance. Most of the time he gets up on his soap box and preaches.

Anyone who doesn't do their own proper homework before investing sort of deserve what they get. If you really cared all that much about your money you would have a bigger personal stake in it.

Klink Disclaimer: My posts are not to be taken seriously. They are all in jest. Please lighten up.

el_chode

QuoteThat was so incredibly uncomfortable to watch.

I love the DS, but Stewart doesn't give a lot of his interviews a fair chance. Most of the time he gets up on his soap box and preaches.

Anyone who doesn't do their own proper homework before investing sort of deserve what they get. If you really cared all that much about your money you would have a bigger personal stake in it.

That's what I felt too - I was squirming, but the problem I usually have with the Daily Show is that if Stewart likes what the person has to say, they have free reign, but if he's got a problem it becomes a lecture and the other person has to really fight to get a point across.

Still, I found that I agreed with what Jon was saying the whole time, so I didn't mind.

Bumbeli

QuoteI thought this was going to be some attorney/law student thread where you guys talked about a ruling  ;D

So did I, and I was looking forward to that :(
Gonna watch those interviews when I get the time though, sounds interesting.
Feelings hour, every tuesday morning.
[url="http://www.last.fm/user/bumbeli"]http://www.last.fm/user/bumbeli[/url]

Sassbox

It wasn't so much an ass kicking as a complete ambush.  Cramer's a big boy, but he seemed very unprepared for what he was hit with.  Childlike, amateur and remorseful (sincere or not), almost.

And I absolutely disagree with the previous poster's assertion that not understanding the intricacies of the market renders someone deserving of what basically amounts to being swindled.  
God sure baked a lot of fruitcake, baby.

el_chode

QuoteIt wasn't so much an ass kicking as a complete ambush.  Cramer's a big boy, but he seemed very unprepared for what he was hit with.  Childlike, amateur and remorseful (sincere or not), almost.

And I absolutely disagree with the previous poster's assertion that not understanding the intricacies of the market renders someone deserving of what basically amounts to being swindled.  

Maybe when he went ad hominem on Cramer it felt like an ambush, but someone like Cramer has pull at a network like CNBC and is at least enough in the know about how things work behind the scenes. A lot of Stewarts anger, and he told Cramer this, was directed at the media gnerally, like telling people what they want to hear instead of what they need to know.

Leontheslut

QuoteIt wasn't so much an ass kicking as a complete ambush.  Cramer's a big boy, but he seemed very unprepared for what he was hit with.  Childlike, amateur and remorseful (sincere or not), almost.

If you are basing your financial future off a guy who "throws plastic cows under his legs" your going to be in trouble. All I said was some of these people need to do more homework when it comes to investing. Instead a lot of people just watch his show which could be influenced by a bunch of different variables. Who owns the company, who Cramer may be friends with, where CSNBC's interests may lay.

To just base everything off of "Mad Money" is stupid IMHO>
Klink Disclaimer: My posts are not to be taken seriously. They are all in jest. Please lighten up.

ycartrob

If you are basing your financial future off a guy who "throws plastic cows under his legs" your going to be in trouble.  

Vadie Stark

I just watched this on comedy central site, which one of these guys really has a fake show?
Why does nothing ever stick to guys like this? If Stewart and his crew can show how easy it is expose this shit,(he did the same to the last admin. for 8 years) how come nothing ever really comes from it? :-?
Not the one thing. I used to think I
could at least some way put things right.

ycartrob

QuoteI just watched this on comedy central site, which one of these guys really has a fake show?
Why does nothing ever stick to guys like this? If Stewart and his crew can show how easy it is expose this shit,(he did the same to the last admin. for 8 years) how come nothing ever really comes from it? :-?

What would you want to "come from it"?

Taterbug

QuoteI just watched this on comedy central site, which one of these guys really has a fake show?

I wouldn't mind gettin back  that 35% I lost in my 401k  :'(.  
"Things may come to those who wait, but only the things left by those who hustle" Honest Abe

Vadie Stark

Not the one thing. I used to think I
could at least some way put things right.

Sunny

Hopefully the party's over for those dishonest hedge fund managers.

Sassbox

QuoteAll I said was some of these people need to do more homework when it comes to investing.

No, what you said was this:

QuoteAnyone who doesn't do their own proper homework before investing sort of deserve what they get.

Leontheslut

QuoteAll I said was some of these people need to do more homework when it comes to investing.

QuoteAnyone who doesn't do their own proper homework before investing sort of deserve what they get.

You're splitting hairs. If you watch Mad Money and that is all the homework you are doing with your investing YOU DESERVE WHAT YOU GET.   ::)

People shouldn't be responsible for their own actions and decisions?

ycartrob

You're splitting hairs. If you watch Mad Money and that is all the homework you are doing with your investing YOU DESERVE WHAT YOU GET.   ::)

well, this is sort of a philosophical debate; do the big lenders "deserve" to be bailed out? Do people who did the research and invested wisely "deserve" to lose their money? Do people who got rich from shady deals "deserve" their riches?

Sassbox

QuoteYOU DESERVE WHAT YOU GET.   ::)

Yes, that's what you said before saying it's not what you said and then you said it again.

I believe people are responsible for their actions, but I wouldn't say anyone is deserving of loss at the hands of schiesters.  

Leontheslut

QuoteYOU DESERVE WHAT YOU GET.   ::)

Yes, that's what you said before saying it's not what you said and then you said it again.

I believe people are responsible for their actions, but I wouldn't say anyone is deserving of loss at the hands of schiesters.  
Please refer to my original post.

"Anyone who doesn't do their own proper homework before investing sort of deserve what they get. If you really cared all that much about your money you would have a bigger personal stake in it."

All I was saying is that people who don't do their homework and rely on Mad Money deserve whatever happens to them.

I feel bad for people who get swindled, I do, and I'm sure a lot of honest people were taken in by lies. But the matter remains, Mad Money is a show trying to entertain. I wouldn't be shocked if they put more value on the "entertaining" part and less on the actual information they give out.