Quitting coffee

Started by ycartrob, Mar 03, 2009, 02:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ycartrob

So, I am quitting coffee. I am going on a Vision Quest in southern Utah in June, which involves 3 days of fasting, so, I don't want to go through caffiene withdrawals in such a beautiful and spiritual setting.

When I quit smoking in 90, I did it cold turkey and it was the hardest thing I ever quit (I quit drinking in 89).

Caffiene is a 25 year addiction and I have cut down to 2 cups, from 4-5 (as of yesterday) and the headaches are just no fun.   :'(

Any advice other than to suffer through it? I do have some oxychodone left over from my root canal in October...  ::)

Taterbug

The headaches should only last 2 weeks.  I stopped drinking coffee for a while and it helped that I drank weak tea once a day to curb the DT's until I was no longer chemically dependent.

You are the master if you can stop drinkin & smokin within  a year span.  Coffee should be NO problem for you.  
"Things may come to those who wait, but only the things left by those who hustle" Honest Abe

capt. scotty

drink Red Bull instead of coffee to get yourself off the bean
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

primushead

Nah, just listen to Boris.

megalicious

When I quit smoking in 90, I did it cold turkey and it was the hardest thing I ever quit (I quit drinking in 89).

Today is my 4th day without a cigarette. I am really trying to quit for good this time, and it is tough. I have bad headaches and feel really irritable. I  never realized just how dependent I was on nicotine.
:o
all facts begin as dreams dreamt by the wizard

TEO

Switch to tea. That is what I did about a month ago and it has been fine with no headache etc. I am not nearly as dehydrated as well.
"You are only as young as the last time you changed your mind" T. Leary

aMillionDreams

Caffiene should be a breeze to quite after successfully quitting cigarettes and alcohol.  Just have to deal with some headaches and exhaustion.  You'll probably be a little cranky, so maybe stay off the boards for a little while.  ;)  

I haven't had a cup of coffee in years and I don't miss it one bit.
The Unofficial Official MMJ Guitar Tabs Archive
[url="http://mmjtabs.50megs.com/"]http://mmjtabs.50megs.com/[/url]

el_chode

They say coffee is one of those things that you have to commit too...you're healthier either not doing it or always doing it, unless you have a bad heart.

With that said, I have on my worst days something close to 8 cups. I also go some days without even thinking about it.

I find that when I do, substituting anything to satisfy the mental/physical routine works

For example, OJ does the same for me when I'm out of coffee.
I'm surrounded by assholes

mjkoehler

QuoteSwitch to tea. That is what I did about a month ago and it has been fine with no headache etc. I am not nearly as dehydrated as well.
Did this almost 2 years ago. No headaches, my tum tum wasn't hurting as much, more relaxed, and my urine quite looking like French's Mustard. Typically now I drink black teas like a good English or Irish Breakfest blend or Earl Grey. I can forgo tea for a few days and no headache. It really only took me days to switch over. I was going through a 3 lb bag of beans in a week by myself, so I was slighty addicted.

meggha

most definitely switch to tea. i switch back and forth between coffee and tea, and but tea is usually better because it's not acidic and doesn't dehydrate.
and, as everyone else as already said, if you can quit smoking and drinking, you can quit coffee.
good luck!
;)
"Yeah, it's chaos, it's clocks, it's watermelons, it's everything."

Soulshine

Just quit. If you fill the void with something else its just delaying what your goal is. Do it cold turkey. The headaches wont last too long. Drink lots of water to help flush yourself out.
I just went through a 12 day fast. The 1st three days are the hardest. I had 1 day of a wretched migraine, but that was it. Once you get past the 3rd day, you'll probably find you can go longer. After my fast I considered going longer as it would have been very easy. Your mind will be clear, you will have lots of energy and I'm sure you will have an amazing experience.
Cold turkey (in my experience) is the only way to quit anything.
Because we're all in this together...

ycartrob

agree. I am getting soft in my old age...

Taterbug

Did you crush up and snort the oxychodone to get thru the day today ?
"Things may come to those who wait, but only the things left by those who hustle" Honest Abe

ycartrob

Did you crush up and snort the oxychodone to get thru the day today ?

not yet; that's my emergency stash, for emergencies

Jon T.

The peyote should take your mind off of the caffeine withdrawals.  :D

Vadie Stark

Tracy,
Good luck with your Mormon quest
I heard they frown on coffee out there.
Not the one thing. I used to think I
could at least some way put things right.

ycartrob

QuoteTracy,

ehhh, this isn't that. Where I'm going there won't really be anyone else.

Vadie Stark

QuoteTracy,

my mistake..  at least those two guys on bikes wont be there

let us on on any visions
if you can Carlos.

pawpaw

QuoteTracy,

let us on on any visions
if you can Carlos.

Man, I loved those books as a teenager, had a real impact....that was probably part of the problem  :D

*takes sip of coffee*
"I'm able to sing because I'm able to fly, son. You heard me right..."

Vadie Stark

QuoteTracy,

let us on on any visions
if you can Carlos.

Man, I loved those books as a teenager, had a real impact....that was probably part of the problem  :D

*takes sip of coffee*

yeah me too

*finds spot on porch*