Bring On The Chicks !!!!!!!!!

Started by rccola71, Mar 28, 2009, 10:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheBigChicken

Not what your thinking....I'm building my own chicken coop! My girlfriend is as excited as I am. So many benefits. I think we are going to get 4 Rhode Island Reds. I'll post a link about raising chickens. These are one of the "egg-laying" varieties. Will post more later. Farmer Cola is off to work. ;D ;D ;D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
the fruit bats love makin' made all the kids cry

TheBigChicken

mjkoehler

My local farm and feed store totally sells ass loads of baby chicks, ducks, and turkey's every year. Too bad I cannot have live poultry or livestock in my towns city limits or else I'd be all over dis.

mmm fresh eggs and chicken, oh and fresh duck. Duck fat is like a miracle elixir of the gods for the kitchen.

aMillionDreams

Congrats, man!

If I had enough land I would raise chickens.  It's a bit of an investment up front but you'll be reaping the benefits for years.  
The Unofficial Official MMJ Guitar Tabs Archive
[url="http://mmjtabs.50megs.com/"]http://mmjtabs.50megs.com/[/url]

TheBigChicken

QuoteCongrats, man!

If I had enough land I would raise chickens.  It's a bit of an investment up front but you'll be reaping the benefits for years.  
Believe it or not the investment is VERY small and we have less than 1/2 an acre. You would be amazed at the space you would need. More to come soon. :) :) :) :) :)
ps  maybe rccola chicken  eggs for everybody at the Jacketfest breakfast 8-)

TheBigChicken

ALady

QuoteNot what your thinking....I'm building my own chicken coop! My girlfriend is as excited as I am. So many benefits. I think we are going to get 4 Rhode Island Reds. I'll post a link about raising chickens. These are one of the "egg-laying" varieties. Will post more later. Farmer Cola is off to work. ;D ;D ;D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

That's so cool!  I raised chickens for 4-H when I was a kid and had a few Rhode Island Reds, including one that went on to be a State Fair Best in Show   ;D  They're great birds, very hardy and great layers.  

I wish I could have them now, but I live in the city (and not one of those cool cities like Austin that allow you to keep a backyard coop).  They're fantastic pets and really intelligent.  If you have any questions, I can try to help.
if it falls apart or makes us millionaires

the_wizzard

You really do not need much land at all for a coop.  Here in Portland, chickens are everywhere (my neighbor has 4).  If you want to, and have a small to average size yard, you could raise chickens.  One word of note:  Chickens produce eggs for about 2 years tops.  Then you either make them into your pets (like my neighbor), or make them into your dinner (like my sister).

ycartrob

MickeyReds

As long as you keep a straight face...

ALady

You really do not need much land at all for a coop.  Here in Portland, chickens are everywhere (my neighbor has 4).  If you want to, and have a small to average size yard, you could raise chickens.  One word of note:  Chickens produce eggs for about 2 years tops.  Then you either make them into your pets (like my neighbor), or make them into your dinner (like my sister).

They won't produce as frequently after 2-3 years, but they won't stop laying entirely; a lot depends on the breed of the chicken, and believe it or not, how many hours of sunlight they get per day.
if it falls apart or makes us millionaires

ms. yvon

what fun, rc!

i wonder how your chicken raising adventures will skew your mix-cd stylings...  ;D
"i don't mean to brag, i don't mean to boast, but we like hot butter on our breakfast toast."

TEO

I want to visit your farm... :)
"You are only as young as the last time you changed your mind" T. Leary

TheBigChicken

Matt ,you and the Mrs. ALWAYS have a room on the farm! I'll try to take some pics of my chicks and post them. They are as cute as can be but the chihuahua looks at them like what they really are....chicken :-/ ;D

TheBigChicken

I didn't realize the chickens would grow so FAST.... :o At this rate I better build a bigger coop  :D

MickeyReds

or....eat some chicken.... ;)
As long as you keep a straight face...

TEO

QuoteMatt ,you and the Mrs. ALWAYS have a room on the farm! I'll try to take some pics of my chicks and post them. They are as cute as can be but the chihuahua looks at them like what they really are....chicken :-/ ;D

Thanks for the invite! Makes me feel like I should have flown down to see Toubab at Skippers. Ever been there?

TheBigChicken

YES! Skipper's is about 4 miles from my house. If you come you have a place to stay. Me and my womans first date was there...

TEO

I could tell by their pics that they posted that it was my kind of place! :)