Who the hell are ya?!

Started by eiseyrokker, Jun 25, 2008, 03:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

j_rud

QuoteHey Angela and Dan, great posts!

Hey Dan, I was at a wedding this weekend where the groom and all his friends and family were from Philly. The bride and groom now live in a part of the city that can't remember the name of but starts with the letter 'M', and is near a big park (maybe the one from that picture, which is awesome, btw). All the Philly guys were loving the California bridesmaids, and we all had a great time partying down on the central coast.

Manayunk?

Yeah, I think that's it...I was pretty loaded when we were talking about that though, memory not so good. Is that a pretty cool part of town?

Great morning-after-at-the-Louisville-airport shot Jason. It looks like you boys did Philly proud  ;D
Yeah, thats definitely the hippest young neighborhood of the city.

The hipsters in NoLibs might disagree.
Different species of hipsters. Northern Liberties are your stinky, "we're poor and we like it" hipsters. Manayunk are you "Im 22, make more than my parents, Im a trendsetter, and the trend is money" hipsters. Actually Manayunk is more yuppies than hipsters. Now Im just confused. Fucking vernacular...
Say friend, you got any more of that good sasparilla?

pawpaw

Yeah, these two are definitely more yuppie than indie-clone-hipster. I also remember the groom telling me there were some "good dive bars up the hill", and in one, somebody offerred to sell him some "coke".  ;D

Am I still on target for the area that starts with 'M' and is near a big park?
"I'm able to sing because I'm able to fly, son. You heard me right..."

YouAre_GivenToFly

QuoteYeah, these two are definitely more yuppie than indie-clone-hipster. I also remember the groom telling me there were some "good dive bars up the hill", and in one, somebody offerred to sell him some "coke".  ;D

Am I still on target for the area that starts with 'M' and is near a big park?

A hill? Coke? Definitely Manayunk.
The wind blew me back, via Chicago, in the middle of the night.

sweatboard

Name: Bradley Smith
Most folks call me Brad. My family has always called me Bradley, but not long ago I noticed that a lot of my closer friends, or at least the ones who hold some special endearment towards me, also call me Bradley. I don't know why that happens like that, but I think it's neat. I don't have a preference between the two, so I always introduce myself as Brad. Nice to meet you.

Forum Alias: Angry Ewok
I'm a star wars dork and since I'm absolutely fearless at 5'5, the name is perfect.

I work for a hapless publishing company... it's rough and my pay is awful, but I'm hoping I can gain enough studio experience running our silk-screen press that I will be able to go into business for myself someday. I love the entire process of silk screening - from the design to the physical printing. I've been fortunate to be able to do a freelance art and design for a couple of years - more this year than all of the years previous, it seems.

Background: All of this is true.
I was born in Georgia, overlooking the Kennesaw Mountain battlefield. My home was in Marietta, where most of the actual fighting occurred. Likely because of this, and my family history, I love American history, wars in particular, and I consider myself a modern Southern Gentleman. I was raised on a sail boat, so I'm also a seaman at heart - I got my sea legs before I was a week old and am thus immune to sea sickness. Despite that I suffer from galeophobia, the fear of sharks. I now reside in Tuscaloosa, Alabama. I love Alabama Football... I am a Crimson Tide season ticket holder.

Passion: My Morning Jacket
My first concert ever was an MMJ performance. I've been to 9 shows since June 2005 and I have three more scheduled this year. I've met the entire band, several staffers, and over a dozen fellow Jacketeers and Vikings. Since the beginning I've wanted to design a poster for an MMJ concert. I've also wanted to visit The Tennessee Fire - something I was able to do a couple of weeks ago. One day, I want my art on an MMJ album - even if it's just the liner notes or the sticker that's slapped onto the center of the vinyl. One day, I want to follow MMJ on an entire leg of a tour. The best thing ever would be if MMJ performed on stage with The Muppets.

Boo-Yahh!   :) :-*
There's Still Time.........

red

bump for the newer faces 'round here these days, and this thread deserves another life.

i'll try and tell you who the hell i am sometime today.  

NoVa_NoLa

Well, here goes:

Me -- I'm Sha (pronounced like shay), but that's a nickname.  Real name is Vachelle.  Almost everyone calls me Sha, but I respond to both.   :)  Just turned 39.  I lived in NJ for most of my life, but a new job uprooted me to Virginia about 4 years ago.

I'm fairly tall for a woman:  6'4".  Played D1 basketball for St. Bonaventure's Lady Bonnies.  I was the first black woman to play there. We were actually investigated by the NCAA for recruiting violations and I got to testify.  My testimony was taken during Senior Week, so I showed up in a Hawaiian themed outfit (complete with lei) so that afterward I could get back to the party.  Tallest woman that I ever played against was Tina Henry (I think that was her name) at Penn State.  She was 6'8.

Music:  I think the best gift that I was ever given was a transistor radio when I was 8.  I used to steal away to the basement to listen to stations that my mother would never ever listen to  :)  I think that's when the music love affair began.

I like good music.  I don't really do genres.  The only theme that I can find in what I like is that there is always a good (and pronounced) bass line and the drummer knows what he/she is doing.  Or horns -- man, I love horns.  Raised on Motown and R&B, discovered rock n roll--the rest is history.

I go to a lot of live shows.  Surprisingly, I travel home (still) for a good number of shows.  Can't beat good music with good friends in NYC!

Ahh, almost none of my friends like MMJ!

I played snare drum in the high school marching band and bassoon in the orchestra.  How big of a band nerd was I?  Out of a Summer where I did nothing but go to basketball camps, I had a 1-week hiatus to attend percussion camp at Westchester Univ.  I won the week at the camp during a band competition in Quebec.  Drum Corps rules!  8-)

I now own a couple of bass guitars:  1 hollow body 4-string and a 4-string music man sterling.  I rarely play, but am looking to fix that this year.

Beer:  My history with alcohol began with vodka and juice or tonic drinks.  I didn't drink beer because the beers that I knew didn't taste good.  I spent some time with a guy who enjoyed good beer and my eyes and tastebuds were opened to the wide world of good beer.

What else?  Oh, New Orleans.  I love it.  Went to New Orleans for the first time in '98 for the Jazz Fest.  Thought that I knew something about music.  I was so wrong.  Have been back at least once every year since then, have marched in 2 Mardi Gras parades (Krewe du Vieux and Mondo Kayo), and am hopeful that once they get the crime under control, I'll move there.

Last, I am a Steelers fan.  Have been since the 3rd grade.  

pawpaw

Hey Sha, it's nice to meet ya! Great post! I think I saw a segment one time on St. Bonaventure...weren't they the first powerhouse in women's college basketball? There were these great photos in the story of the nuns running drills for the team!

EDIT: WHOOPS! I did my own fact checking, and it was Immaculata I was thinking of... ::)
"I'm able to sing because I'm able to fly, son. You heard me right..."

NoVa_NoLa

QuoteHey Sha, it's nice to meet ya! Great post! I think I saw a segment one time on St. Bonaventure...weren't they the first powerhouse in women's college basketball? There were these great photos in the story of the nuns running drills for the team!

EDIT: WHOOPS! I did my own fact checking, and it was Immaculata I was thinking of... ::)

No worries =)  Theresa Grentz played at Immaculata and they have a spectacular history.  The Bonnies claim to fame is Rob Lanier.  His nephew Bob was there when I played.  

Funny nun story:  As part of the curriculum, everyone had to take 3 religion courses.  My freshman year, I chose "Women in Religion", I don't know why really.  The teacher was Sister Winifred Whelan and she began the first class by having everyone announce who they are, where they're from, and what religion they are.  Now, at 18 I had not yet chosen a religion and my parents had not forced one on me, so I didn't have an answer for her 3rd question. I began to get nervous as one kid answered that she was Catholic but not confirmed, and Sister's response was "Oh, so just just call yourself Catholic, next!"  When my turn came, I mentioned that I was a Lady Bonnie and my oh my -- Sister Wini loved me.  Turns out she was as feminist as a nun could be and thought that it was fantastic that I was there to play a sport.  I think she may have passed on, but she was great!

BH

Great post Sha!   Cool life story.  D1 hoops!  Impressive!   I love people who love music, so I LOVE you!   I also became a Steeler fan about 2nd or 3rd grade.  I live in St. Louis, and I hated the Cardinals.  I became a huge Rams fan when they moved here but I still root for the Steelers in the AFC.   This whole Warner/Cardinals/Steeler thing is kind of strange for me.   I have rooted for Warner to succeed up until this point, even though I hate the Cardinals and Bidwell, but that will stop at the Super Bowl, when the Steelers will be searching for their first super bowl ring (For the "other" hand that is!  Boo Ya!)

(I would like to play two guard in our all MMJ Fan basetball team.)
I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

Penny Lane

QuoteWell, here goes:

Me -- I'm Sha (pronounced like shay), but that's a nickname.  Real name is Vachelle.  Almost everyone calls me Sha, but I respond to both.   :)  Just turned 39.  I lived in NJ for most of my life, but a new job uprooted me to Virginia about 4 years ago.

I'm fairly tall for a woman:  6'4".  Played D1 basketball for St. Bonaventure's Lady Bonnies.  I was the first black woman to play there. We were actually investigated by the NCAA for recruiting violations and I got to testify.  My testimony was taken during Senior Week, so I showed up in a Hawaiian themed outfit (complete with lei) so that afterward I could get back to the party.  Tallest woman that I ever played against was Tina Henry (I think that was her name) at Penn State.  She was 6'8.

Music:  I think the best gift that I was ever given was a transistor radio when I was 8.  I used to steal away to the basement to listen to stations that my mother would never ever listen to  :)  I think that's when the music love affair began.

I like good music.  I don't really do genre's.  The only theme that I can find in what I like is that there is always a good (and pronounced) bass line and the drummer knows what he/she is doing.  Or horns -- man, I love horns.  Raised on Motown and R&B, discovered rock n roll--the rest is history.

I go to a lot of live shows.  Surprisingly, I travel home (still) for a good number of shows.  Can't beat good music with good friends in NYC!

I played snare drum in the high school marching band and bassoon in the orchestra.  How big of a band nerd was I?  Out of a Summer where I did nothing but go to basketball camps, I had a 1-week hiatus to attend percussion camp at Westchester Univ.  I won the week at the camp during a band competition in Quebec.  Drum Corps rules!  8-)

I now own a couple of bass guitars:  1 hollow body 4-string and a 4-string music man sterling.  I rarely play, but am looking to fix that this year.

Beer:  My history with alcohol began with vodka and juice or tonic drinks.  I didn't drink beer because the beers that I knew didn't taste good.  I spent some time with a guy who enjoyed good beer and my eyes and tastebuds were opened to the wide world of good beer.

What else?  Oh, New Orleans.  I love it.  Went to New Orleans for the first time in '98 for the Jazz Fest.  Thought that I knew something about music.  I was so wrong.  Have been back at least once every year since then, have marched in 2 Mardi Gras parades (Krewe du Vieux and Mondo Kayo), and am hopeful that once they get the crime under control, I'll move there.

Nova that's a great post! D1--wow! i played D3 basketball and loved it :-) I think i remember that st bonnies thing! What a story, too! I'll forgive the steelers thing (i'm a browns fan).
but come on...there's nothing sexy about poop. Nothing.  -bbill

Soulshine

Hello Everyone! You all seem like great people with an amazing sense of humor. I look forward to getting to know all of you. I have never belonged to a forum before....so- please be gentle with this n00b. ;)
Because we're all in this together...

wharf rat

Stick around Soulshine.   I haven't been around that long myself, but I think you'll find that you are just beginning to see the awesomeness that is the MMJ board!  Lots of good people seem to hang out here, and the musical love and knowledge is pretty good too.
Oh, and MMJ's not too bad either ;)  

Soulshine

Yay! Thank you. I've been "around" here a little while and I GET all the awesomeness that is going down here. I couldn't deny myself any longer so I decided to join you. I've got the love, knowledge and some purty good experience. I can't wait to share those things here with all of you.
Because we're all in this together...

wharf rat

That seems to be the thing with MMJ, you can't deny it once you get to the tipping point!  I, like you, read (I don't like how 'lurk' sounds) the goings on here for a while before I joined in.  Anyway, welcome again!

Taterbug

QuoteWell, here goes:

I like good music.  I don't really do genre's.  The only theme that I can find in what I like is that there is always a good (and pronounced) bass line and the drummer knows what he/she is doing.  Or horns -- man, I love horns.  Raised on Motown and R&B, discovered rock n roll--the rest is history.

Nova,  can you dunk  ?   What's your take on that high school B-ball game that ended up with a final score of 100-0.  I think that coach should of sat his starters in the second half.  What say you ?
"Things may come to those who wait, but only the things left by those who hustle" Honest Abe

NoVa_NoLa

Nova,  can you dunk  ?   What's your take on that high school B-ball game that ended up with a final score of 100-0.  I think that coach should of sat his starters in the second half.  What say you ?

;D  

I've been this tall since I was 13 and never really had to jump.  So dunking was a skill that I never really acquired.  I could get rim with both hands, and could dunk small balls, but never did dunk a regulation ball on a regulation hoop.

My initial reaction to that 100-0 story was not good, but kind of mild.  Then I read that the winning coach kept a full court press on until they reached 100.  I am totally disgusted by that guy -- he was coaching for a Christian school of all things!  Some values.  I would have fired him as soon as I heard the details.  There's no victory or honor in 100-0.

NoVa_NoLa

Nova that's a great post! D1--wow! i played D3 basketball and loved it :-) I think i remember that st bonnies thing! What a story, too! I'll forgive the steelers thing (i'm a browns fan).

Sweet...another bball player in da house!  Where'd you play?  And, thanks for the Steelers forgiveness.   :-[  :)  

NoVa_NoLa

QuoteGreat post Sha!   Cool life story.  D1 hoops!  Impressive!   I love people who love music, so I LOVE you!   I also became a Steeler fan about 2nd or 3rd grade.  I live in St. Louis, and I hated the Cardinals.  I became a huge Rams fan when they moved here but I still root for the Steelers in the AFC.   This whole Warner/Cardinals/Steeler thing is kind of strange for me.   I have rooted for Warner to succeed up until this point, even though I hate the Cardinals and Bidwell, but that will stop at the Super Bowl, when the Steelers will be searching for their first super bowl ring (For the "other" hand that is!  Boo Ya!)

(I would like to play two guard in our all MMJ Fan basetball team.)

Thanks BH! I can feel the love.  :)  I've got family in MO...the last time I was out that way it was for a BBQ tour.  Nothing but BBQ for 4 days.  It was glorious, but I ate nothing but veggies for about a month afterwards.

Alright, you got 2, I'm a 5...Penny's a 1 or 2, I'm guessing.  So, is there a power forward in the house?   ;D

GO STEELERS!!

ManNamedTruth

GO STEELERS!!
[smiley=thumbsup.gif]
That's motherfuckin' John Oates!

Kenny76

Rampant dumbassery

With my daughter at my sister's wedding

lovin' Zeppelin