Brits v Yanks.....you decide!

Started by Paulie_Walnuts, May 14, 2009, 08:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ruckus

v.

Yeah, not even close.  Brits win
Can You Put Your Soft Helmet On My Head

Jaimoe

I love the Brit rock bands the most - The Who, Kinks, Stones, Beatles, Zeppelin, Yardbirds, Pink Floyd, Sabbath etc... - but they all wouldn't exist in the same way if it weren't for the USA. They all reinterpreted American pop and blues and made it the music better for the most part, but the UK as a whole can't beat the originator. And funk, jazz and blues kills the UK versions.

Jbones72

I look at my cd's and it's 60-40 British bands, so if i had to get rid of one it have  to be the US...I couldn't give up the Stones!

capt. scotty

QuoteI look at my cd's and it's 60-40 British bands, so if i had to get rid of one it have  to be the US...I couldn't give up the Stones!

Benedict Arnold!
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

capt. scotty

QuoteDid you really just include Coldplay in your list or great British bands? Are you sure you don't want to edit the post? And would Hendrix not go in the US team?

Both were formed in London.

There is NO WAY any band affiliated with Hendrix could be deemed more of a British band than a US band.

Did the man play the English national anthem?! I dont think so.

Um, they played "God Save the Queen."

I just kind of threw that out there, but okay.

Hendrix is as American as Nascar. There is no way any of his bands could be a British band. If teh Beatles formed in New York, would that make them an American band?  ::)
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

Paulie_Walnuts

QuoteDid you really just include Coldplay in your list or great British bands? Are you sure you don't want to edit the post? And would Hendrix not go in the US team?

Both were formed in London.

I think it's a no brainer that most people would put Hendrix in the US category.

And I wasn't saying that Coldplay were American. I was questioning the fact that you had them in a list of great bands.

Anyway, I'm a Brit......but the US wins easily for me on this one.
Paulie W

Jaimoe

At least in this time period, the USA is the only winner. Maybe in a hundred years things will even up. Keep an eye on those Swedes though.

Sparkle

goodjam2bn

QuoteI look at it this way...the UK has given us a lot of bands/artists that are at the top of my list of favorites, but the US is the originator, and has a broader pool of styles and quality to pick from...if this is a Desert Island decision, and I can only have one or the other forever, I'm going US, no question. Nobody does Soul and R&B like the US. 8-)

Absolutely! The earliest Brit artists where enfluenced by American motown and the blues. Currently my favs...MMJ, M.Ward, Fiery Furnaces, Blonde Redhead are all Amercan. I vote USA!

Ride the music wave and wipe out really good!

capt. scotty

MickeyReds

QuoteELVIS....discussion over
My Morning Jacket......discussion over
As long as you keep a straight face...

aMillionDreams

Brits have some heavy hitters but they don't have the depth the Americas have.  I mean, I might take Motown over England if it really came down to it and that's just one record company in one town at one moment in time.
The Unofficial Official MMJ Guitar Tabs Archive
[url="http://mmjtabs.50megs.com/"]http://mmjtabs.50megs.com/[/url]

bold99

QuoteBrits have some heavy hitters but they don't have the depth the Americas have.  I mean, I might take Motown over England if it really came down to it and that's just one record company in one town at one moment in time.[/quote

or Stax.....or Chess...or Sun.
Last Fair Deal Gone Down...