Brits v Yanks.....you decide!

Started by Paulie_Walnuts, May 14, 2009, 08:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paulie_Walnuts

I was playing my friend some music today and he was asking me who my favourite British artist / band is. And I couldn't really think of a stand out one.

It got me to thinking. If your record collection could only contain music from one location, USA or GB, which would you choose?

USA for me no question. It might have been debatable about 40 years ago, but now I feel that the vast majority of decent music comes from America.

Get voting!
Paulie W

Angry Ewok

Really? Off the top of my head, I can come up with more Brits than Americans... The Beatles, Led Zeppelin, Cream, The Police, Black Sabbath, The Jimi Hendrix Experience, Pink Floyd, Elton John, Cold Play, Queen, The Rolling Stones, David Bowie, etc, etc, etc.

(Most of those aren't recent, my bad)

--- and that's 2 real 4 u.

BH

Tough call.  I would have to chose between my two favorite bands.
I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

Paulie_Walnuts

QuoteReally? Off the top of my head, I can come up with more Brits than Americans... The Beatles, Led Zeppelin, Cream, The Police, Black Sabbath, The Jimi Hendrix Experience, Pink Floyd, Elton John, Cold Play, Queen, The Rolling Stones, David Bowie, etc, etc, etc.

(Most of those aren't recent, my bad)

Did you really just include Coldplay in your list or great British bands? Are you sure you don't want to edit the post? And would Hendrix not go in the US team?

I'm sure we can all make a case for either side, but if you had to have a music collection from one location which would it be?
Paulie W

mjkoehler

I'm American, but most of my favorite music is from the UK. I do not know the exact percentage, but well over 50% of what is on my ipod is English.

Most of mainstream US music blows. Sorry, but it does. The hard part is defining what is "mainstream". MMJ is not mainstream. Use that as a gage I guess.

BH

It all goes back to Robert Johnson anyway so the USA wins!
I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

.Walt

I've thought about this before. If I had to get stuck with one or the other for the rest of my life...I'd go with the U.S. I'd get really sick of the Beatles. One day I love'em, the other day I want to throw the radio against a wall. Same goes with Led Z and the Stones. I could never get sick of Dylan, The Dead, MMJ, and The Allman's. Most new bands I like hail from the States or Canada, not across the pond.

My vote, Stars and Bars!
Much Greater Than Science Fiction

Leontheslut

brits have a higher quantity of good artists. But I think the Yanks have the better overall talent in song writing

Bob Dylan
Paul Simon
Jim James

Eat you limey bastards!
Klink Disclaimer: My posts are not to be taken seriously. They are all in jest. Please lighten up.

bold99

Some of my favorite bands earlier bands..Beatles, Zeppelin, Stones, Sabbath are British but I hate what you would call "Britpop" Oasis, Blur and all that crap..some of the worst music ever in my opinion and it just continues now with Coldplay..so there is no question mine would be American. Early rock with Chuck Berry, Jerry lee, Elvis, Cash, Carl Perkins..on to the Dead, Dylan, Allmans, Hendrix, The Band, and Neil, yes he's Canadian but i'm counting him...most great early Blues like Muddy, Wolf, Elmore James, Buddy Guy..etc...Country Rock Gram Parsons, The Byrds, Burrito Brothers.,..then to Alt rock like Pavement, the Cure, Dino Jr and the Pixies....and more modern Americana type bands like Uncle Tupelo, Wilco, Whiskeytown, Ryan Adams, Jackie Greene, Derek Trucks, Gov't Mule, MMJ, DBT, White Stripes and the Black Keys to mention a few.  It's all American for me.
Last Fair Deal Gone Down...

Ruckus

Well a no brainer here.

I love Floyd, Queen, Zep, Who, Ozzy (Sabbath) etc.

BUT yeah,  if I didn't have my Miles and Trane collection, my Howlin' Wolf, Hound Dog Taylor and Junior Wells, Dylan, Simon, the Byrds, all my Hipity Hopity and of course MMJ, I couldn't go on.  US

BUT, I love Rush, the Band, Jimmy Cliff, Burning Spear etc.
Where's the "Other" category?
Can You Put Your Soft Helmet On My Head

Angry Ewok

QuoteDid you really just include Coldplay in your list or great British bands? Are you sure you don't want to edit the post? And would Hendrix not go in the US team?

Both were formed in London.
--- and that's 2 real 4 u.

pawpaw

I look at it this way...the UK has given us a lot of bands/artists that are at the top of my list of favorites, but the US is the originator, and has a broader pool of styles and quality to pick from...if this is a Desert Island decision, and I can only have one or the other forever, I'm going US, no question. Nobody does Soul and R&B like the US. 8-)

"I'm able to sing because I'm able to fly, son. You heard me right..."

walterfredo

TheBigChicken

My musical tastes are so varied it might change week to week day to day....kinda like asking who your favorite band is. I am a certified member of the Otis Redding Cult of America . http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VlQ4VrHa7fU
the fruit bats love makin' made all the kids cry

TheBigChicken

the fruit bats love makin' made all the kids cry

capt. scotty

QuoteDid you really just include Coldplay in your list or great British bands? Are you sure you don't want to edit the post? And would Hendrix not go in the US team?

There is NO WAY any band affiliated with Hendrix could be deemed more of a British band than a US band.

Did the man play the English national anthem?! I dont think so.
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

capt. scotty

Despite the Brits having some heavy hitters like the Stones, Zep, Beatles, this 1 is easy for me - USA

Most people already touched on a big reason why it would be that way for me: musical diversity. You get blues, jazz, hip hop, etc., and I definitely like many more bands of teh last 10-20 years from the US than the UK.

Maybe its just me, but I find a lot of those more recent British bands to be pretty derivative. Some have their own unique sound, but a lot sounds the same to me. Either way, the music coming out of the US these days seems to be much more expansive and interesting IMO.

And for anyone who picks the UK, enjoy not having any MMJ  :P
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

Leontheslut

Hendrix was the experence. You could put anybody back there and get pretty close to the same results.
Klink Disclaimer: My posts are not to be taken seriously. They are all in jest. Please lighten up.

Jaimoe

QuoteIt all goes back to Robert Johnson anyway so the USA wins!

It goes back farther than that since he ripped off his peers... and the USA still wins. And the Brits have nothing on Buddy Bolden.

Jaimoe

There is NO WAY any band affiliated with Hendrix could be deemed more of a British band than a US band.

Did the man play the English national anthem?! I dont think so.

Um, they played "God Save the Queen."