Do you call yourself an American?

Started by LeontheHut, May 14, 2009, 01:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

capt. scotty

QuoteI'm an American with German heritage, ( Germo-American )  ;).

I figured that out. At first I thought you meant you came from Germany. My brain is slow, I'm of Pollock heritage.

So is your mom or your dad the fish?
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

Ruckus

Alright Leon you win.

I will now prance around to other countries and say I am USian.  See, foreigners have no problem asking "Are you American?"

I get it.  You win
Can You Put Your Soft Helmet On My Head

Ruckus

Ruckus

Jaimoe

I figured that out. At first I thought you meant you came from Germany. My brain is slow, I'm of Pollock heritage.

I thought he meant he was related to famed North American painter Jackson Pollock.

Vadie Stark

Not the one thing. I used to think I
could at least some way put things right.

Taterbug

I thought he meant he was related to famed North American painter Jackson Pollock.

So when you say Pollock is North American you have  say how far north, because he could be Canadian... Right ?
"Things may come to those who wait, but only the things left by those who hustle" Honest Abe

Leontheslut

QuoteAlright Leon you win.

I will now prance around to other countries and say I am USian.  See, foreigners have no problem asking "Are you American?"

I get it.  You win
right, because it's about winning?

I'm just trying to get people's opinions. This is a message board, we are suppose to have conversation. Go cry somewhere else.  :'(
Klink Disclaimer: My posts are not to be taken seriously. They are all in jest. Please lighten up.

BH

How about Unitish?

I like to think of myself as an earthling.
I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

Leontheslut

QuoteHow about Unitish?

I like to think of myself as an earthling.
I like both.

Unitish is cool. Lennon probably would have called himself an Earthling
Klink Disclaimer: My posts are not to be taken seriously. They are all in jest. Please lighten up.

Ruckus

I get it.  You win

I'm just trying to get people's opinions. This is a message board, we are suppose to have conversation. Go cry somewhere else.  :'(

Of course it's about winning.  Hey I thought you were the I can say whatever I want guy and now you are policing?  Sensitive?

Dude your questions have been answered.  If you want to play devil's advocate forever, have fun man.

I can see where certain individuals could take offense to it.  I remember when this seemed like somewhat of a PC issue back in the nineties but nothing came of it.  

But to answer your question again, it is NOT arrogant.  Many things Americans do are horribly arrogant and I have a million and one stories for that.  This is the name that history raised us with and we have adopted.  It makes perfect sense.  It gives off no sense of entitlement in my opinion

The only logical parallel would be someone from the United Arab Emirates.  My uncle works in Dubai.  I don't think they call themselves Arabian ;)

Leontheslut

I get it.  You win

Of course it's about winning.  Hey I thought you were the I can say whatever I want guy and now you are policing?  Sensitive?

Dude your questions have been answered.  If you want to play devil's advocate forever, have fun man.

I can see where certain individuals could take offense to it.  I remember when this seemed like somewhat of a PC issue back in the nineties but nothing came of it.  

But to answer your question again, it is NOT arrogant.  Many things Americans do are horribly arrogant and I have a million and one stories for that.  This is the name that history raised us with and we have adopted.  It makes perfect sense.  It gives off no sense of entitlement in my opinion

The only logical parallel would be someone from the United Arab Emirates.  My uncle works in Dubai.  I don't think they call themselves Arabian ;)

i did say what I wanted. I told you to go cry somewhere else. OMFG some is trying to promote conversation on a message board, oh the humanity!

BTW I wanted to hear from a bunch of different people, not get one opinion and then lock the thread.

and the cry emotican was meant for you.

Ruckus

I get it.  You win

i did say what I wanted. I told you to go cry somewhere else. OMFG some is trying to promote conversation on a message board, oh the humanity!

BTW I wanted to hear from a bunch of different people, not get one opinion and then lock the thread.

Sorry :-X

Sassbox

I refer to myself as American.  I don't know if that's correct, however, since one side of my family was here before it was America and the other side (besides Mom) has never set foot on US soil.  Hmmmm.
God sure baked a lot of fruitcake, baby.

Penny Lane

i used to get annoyed, especially around here, irish-amer, ital-amer, germ-amer, then you have the puerto ricans and the new yoricans, etc--it's like come on...we were all born here! BUT then i realized i was just jealous because i'm a midwestern mutt.
but come on...there's nothing sexy about poop. Nothing.  -bbill

capt. scotty

QuoteI refer to myself as American.  I don't know if that's correct, however, since one side of my family was here before it was America and the other side (besides Mom) has never set foot on US soil.  Hmmmm.

half native american, half japanese (?)
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

Ruckus

So what do you think Leon?  You're initial question was whether it was arrogant and most everyone seems to believe that it isn't.  Is there not an underlying issue that certain Central and South Americans take offense to the usurpation of the word?  That part I understand but you have not elaborated.

capt. scotty

Quotei used to get annoyed, especially around here, irish-amer, ital-amer, germ-amer, then you have the puerto ricans and the new yoricans, etc--it's like come on...we were all born here! BUT then i realized i was just jealous because i'm a midwestern mutt.

high five!

[smiley=vrolijk_26.gif]

Jaimoe

Canadians call you folks Americans, but many call your country "the States." However, it's used more of a short or Canadian colloquialism.

I never say that I'm travelling to America; it's always "the States" and sometimes "the US."

capt. scotty

QuoteCanadians call you folks Americans, but many call your country "the States." However, it's used more of a short or Canadian colloquialism.

I never say that I'm travelling to America; it's always "the States" and sometimes "the US."

Yeah, but you are distinguishing between what you call people and what you call a place