Do you call yourself an American?

Started by LeontheHut, May 14, 2009, 01:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leontheslut

Mickey Reds and I always talk about this...

When you refer to yourself do you call yourself an "American?"

Do you think it's arrogant to call yourself an "American" being that America encompasses two continents and a shit load of countries?  
:-?
Klink Disclaimer: My posts are not to be taken seriously. They are all in jest. Please lighten up.

Jaimoe

QuoteMickey Reds and I always talk about this...

Do you think it's arrogant to call yourself an "American" being that America encompasses two continents and a shit load of countries?  

What are the two continents you speak of?

Does anyone actually say: "I'm North American?"

Ruckus

That's a loaded question sir that sociolingusitic theses have been written about.

Personally I don't think too many care.  I call myself an American (shamefully) when overseas and I've never met a Central or South American that sincerely felt offended by it.  We are the only major country in the Western Hemisphere with the word America in our name.
Can You Put Your Soft Helmet On My Head

Leontheslut

I dunno, how would you feel if a Canadian refered to himself as an American?

EDIT: Wait aren't you a Canadian, in that case make it a Mexican?
Klink Disclaimer: My posts are not to be taken seriously. They are all in jest. Please lighten up.

capt. scotty

Your logic is flawed. People from the United States of America call themselves American because that is their Country

People from South America are not South American, they are Brazilian, Chilean, Peruvian, etc. because that is their Country

People from Canada are Canadian because that is their Country

There is a difference between a Continent and a Country
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

Jaimoe

The Mexican jokes mean little to Canadians since it ain't them flooding across our border. You guys make excellent buffers  :) In all seriousness, what a fucking mess Mexico is right now, especially in the north. It's sad.

If a Canadian referred to him or herself as American, I'd want them killed.

Leontheslut

Your logic is flawed. People from the United States of America call themselves American because that is their Country

People from South America are not South American, they are Brazilian, Chilean, Peruvian, etc. because that is their Country

I see your point, but I still don't agree. You are a USA citizen, but AMERICA encompasses more than just the states.

Leontheslut

The Mexican jokes mean little to Canadians since it ain't them flooding across our border. You guys make excellent buffers  :) In all seriousness, what a fucking mess Mexico is right now, especially in the north. It's sad.

But technically you are "american" You're counrty is part of America

Jaimoe

But technically you are "american" You're counrty is part of America

North American and proud of it. We are part of the Americas, at least on old maps.

capt. scotty

I see your point, but I still don't agree. You are a USA citizen, but AMERICA encompasses more than just the states.

United States of AMERICA

What other COUNTRY has AMERICA in its name?????

Amerigo Vespucci just called and said you are wrong.
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

Penny Lane

South Americans believe it's one continent, whereas we were taught in the US that there's a North and South America. They really would never refer to their continent as South America (as far as I know). I've always thought that was interesting.
but come on...there's nothing sexy about poop. Nothing.  -bbill

Taterbug

I am PROUD to call myself a German American Yankee.  Nobody asks because as soon as I open my mouth you can tell.

I believe we are the only country with America in our name.  
"Things may come to those who wait, but only the things left by those who hustle" Honest Abe

Leontheslut

United States of AMERICA

What other COUNTRY has AMERICA in its name?????

Amerigo Vespucci just called and said you are wrong.
I get what you're saying, but again, I don't agree.

You are a United States of America citizen. There is still more to America then just the states.

Amerigo Vespucci can go lick mickey rourkes taint after a night of three 8balls.

Leontheslut

QuoteI am PROUD to call myself a German American Yankee.  Nobody asks because as soon as I open my mouth you can tell.

Are you actually from Germany?

capt. scotty

QuoteI am PROUD to call myself a German American Yankee.  Nobody asks because as soon as I open my mouth you can tell.

Is Jesse Jackson actually from Africa?

Taterbug

I'm an American with German heritage, ( Germo-American )  ;).

Leon, has anyone told you it's arrogant, or are you assuming it could be construed by others as arrogant. Just asking  :).

"Things may come to those who wait, but only the things left by those who hustle" Honest Abe

Leontheslut

Is Jesse Jackson actually from Africa?

no, but i'm sure his slaves are.

Leontheslut

You should bang it a little harder...

Leontheslut

QuoteI'm an American with German heritage, ( Germo-American )  ;).

I figured that out. At first I thought you meant you came from Germany. My brain is slow, I'm of Pollock heritage.

Taterbug

QuoteI'm an American with German heritage, ( Germo-American )  ;).

I figured that out. At first I thought you meant you came from Germany. My brain is slow, I'm of Pollock heritage.

Nie ma truble.
Ti yas dobri chowiak  ;D