Backpacking & Hiking

Started by bbill, May 21, 2008, 01:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pawpaw

The high county snow is melting quickly, and all the passes are opening up...this time of year always gets me excited for SUMMER and BACKPACKING!!!

Anyone here into backpacking? What about day hikes into cool local spots? I've never really done much outside of California, but always like hearing about the regional trails and wilderness areas that are personal and special to backpacking/hiking enthusiasts. So...lets hear it, where do you guys like to escape into nature?!?!

I love Kings Canyon, especially the Dusy and Palisade Basin area. The picture below is of Barney Lake in the Hoover Wilderness area. An approach from the East up to high lakes in the Sierras...there's not much better than that, IMO.

"I'm able to sing because I'm able to fly, son. You heard me right..."

tower

This is where I'll be in July!  http://www.singletracks.com/php/trail.php?id=929

I saw on your profile you live in San Fran...great city, I used to live in Napa and love NorCal.  I assume you've been up to Tahoe?  The Flume Trail is a damn nice ride.
Louisville Rock and Roll
www.edgehillave.com

ycartrob

there's some great hiking near Nashville up on the Cumberland Plateau less than an hour away and then the Smokies are only 4 hours away. I have done some great hiking in California (not really hiking, more like strolling amongst the redwoods), New Mexico, Colorado, New Hampshire and Maine, but my favorite is the Black Hills/Badlands of
South Dakota, especially Bear Butte, the holy mountain for the Lakota Sioux. I am spiritually drawn to South Dakota and the hikes are meditations to me.

Bear Butte

pawpaw

QuoteThis is where I'll be in July!  http://www.singletracks.com/php/trail.php?id=929

I saw on your profile you live in San Fran...great city, I used to live in Napa and love NorCal.  I assume you've been up to Tahoe?  The Flume Trail is a damn nice ride.

Yeah, I live in SF for another 3 days! My wife and I are moving up to the 100+ degree heat of Sacramento, which we're actually really excited about. Napa is a great area, we were just up there last month. There's actually some nice hiking out toward Berryessa, especially in Spring when everything is still green and the flowers are out.

So do you live in Colorado now? That trail sounds insane! I don't have a good mt. bike (just my city commuter), but I did go riding out at Mammoth a couple years ago, which was awesome. I don't think it was 6,000 ft in elevation that we dropped, but still long, fast rides.

Have fun!

tower

Nope I live in Louisville now...the good mt. biking is scarce 'round here. That's why my wife booked us a trip to Colorado this summer, she knows how much I miss the mountains!
Louisville Rock and Roll
www.edgehillave.com

pawpaw

Quotethere's some great hiking near Nashville up on the Cumberland Plateau less than an hour away and then the Smokies are only 4 hours away. I have done somegreat hiking in California (not really hiking, more like strolling amongst the redwoods), New Mexico, Colorado and Maine, but my favorite is the Black Hills/Badlands of
South Dakota, especially Bear Butte, the holy mountain for the Lakota Sioux. I am spiritually drawn to South Dakotaand the hikes are mediations to me.

Bear Butte

Great pics Tracy! I really get excited with topography change and open space...being able to climb something and then get a clear view out into open country...it really can be inspiring  :)

Where were the redwoods that you hiked in?

ycartrob

Where were the redwoods that you hiked in?

well, my wife and I went to San Francisco for our honeymoon (2000). We stayed 4 nights in San Francisco at The Chancellor across from Union Square, then we headed up the coast; stopped first at Muir Woods (really blown away by the redwoods) and then headed up to Hendy Woods State Park on the Navarro River and camped the night, then we had a cabin somewhere on the Avenue of Giants for the next night, but the best was a tiny county park we found up off Hwy 36 from Eureka. We tried to camp at Grizzly Creek, but it was too crowded, so we found Van Duzen County Park; our site was right on a swimming hole in the river and under a redwood grove. The ranger said it was the locals' favorite and was suprised the spot was open. And the hikes we took through the redwoods were amazing, doubley so b/c there was no one else there.

and, to complete the honeymoon, we went to PacBell to see the Giants (wife's uncle had one of those suites) and then The Who at Shoreline Amphitheater!

we had an amazing time and we're eye-balling Yosemite in September, so I may be dropping you a line for suggestions.

(pre-digital photography)

tower

If you're thinking of Yosemite you need to get reservations right now...my wife and I tried to stay there but it was booked solid for months.  Instead we settle for lovely Modesto...the Flamingo Hotel I think.  Soooo shady!
Louisville Rock and Roll
www.edgehillave.com

tower

Yeah, I live in SF for another 3 days! My wife and I are moving up to the 100+ degree heat of Sacramento, which we're actually really excited about. Napa is a great area, we were just up there last month. There's actually some nice hiking out toward Berryessa, especially in Spring when everything is still green and the flowers are out.

So do you live in Colorado now? That trail sounds insane! I don't have a good mt. bike (just my city commuter), but I did go riding out at Mammoth a couple years ago, which was awesome. I don't think it was 6,000 ft in elevation that we dropped, but still long, fast rides.

Have fun!
[/quote]

Yea, Sacramento is not high on my "places to live" but I guess it could be worse, you could have to move to Bakersfield.  At least you'll be closer to Tahoe.

I miss San Fran, great city.  I especially miss going to Tommy's Mexican for the killer margaritas!
Louisville Rock and Roll
www.edgehillave.com

thatswhatshesaid

i've done some hiking in the cumberland gap area around kentennia. very beautiful. i also have hiked mt. leconte a couple times in the smokies. one of my favorite places to go though is the red river gorge in KY. its an amazing geologic feature.

pawpaw

That sounds like a GREAT honeymoon Tracy! I've been to many of those spots...Muir Woods is a pretty special place, and I used to camp at Hendy Woods as a Boy Scout. My favorite Redwood spot is a place called Prarie Creek, north of Eureka a bit. There's an awesome 10 mile loop trail to do in there, and you really don't see many people. Just grove after grove of old growth redwoods...now THAT's inspiring.

And yeah, Yosemite does take some advance planning. I'd recommend looking for sites at Tuolumne Meadows...it's not in the Valley, but a relatively short (and beautiful) drive away, but it's not nearly as busy. If you need some more ideas, let me know.

pawpaw

Yea, Sacramento is not high on my "places to live" but I guess it could be worse...

;D Yeah, Sacramento does get a lot of shit, and the past decade or so has seen a lot of ugly, suburban sprawl. I like it there though...a lot of great, old, spacious neighborhoods, slower pace, lack of Bay Area pretentiousness, and yes, closer to the Sierras.

Tommy's does make a mean margarita, but the food isn't that great - we've got a few favorite spots in Oakland and Alameda that blow it away. Having lived my whole life in CA, I've developed a pretty high level of Mexican food snobishness  ;D

tower

Yea, Sacramento is not high on my "places to live" but I guess it could be worse...

Tommy's does make a mean margarita, but the food isn't that great -   ;D

Tommy's has food?
Louisville Rock and Roll
www.edgehillave.com

TheBigChicken

Damn bbill it makes me sad that you're leaving SF...I think I'll go cry now :'(
the fruit bats love makin' made all the kids cry

pawpaw

QuoteDamn bbill it makes me sad that you're leaving SF...I think I'll go cry now :'(

:) Yeah, there are a lot of things I will miss, but I'm actually happy to be leaving. I was never meant to end up in SF, and now's a great time to leave.

...ANYWAY, getting back on topic...I know we've got a lot of East Coasters on this Forum...tell me about the Appalachian Trail. What parts do you know and love?

LizKing531

Quotei've done some hiking in the cumberland gap area around kentennia. very beautiful. i also have hiked mt. leconte a couple times in the smokies. one of my favorite places to go though is the red river gorge in KY. its an amazing geologic feature.

The gorge kicks ass - it has the most rock formations east of the rockies, believe or not.

lessintent

i just got some new equipment - i'm excited to get out into the great outdoors this weekend

pawpaw

bump...We're at the height of summertime right now! Any of you been gettin' outside?

I won't say it's an unfortunate thing, but my little hiking partner is all pregnant, which has severely changed our backpacking plans for the year...hell, probably the next several years. I've been hurtin' for some mountain time though, and will probably get up to the Carson Pass area for a day hike sometime this weekend.

TEO

Since crazylove got a new puppy I got an expandable leash and have been taking her (the puppy) on short trail hikes in our area. Last Saturday when she (crazylove) went to Chicago for the day I ran the Hell out of Tawny in the morning and she slept all afternoon as I sat in my leather recliner watching the Olympics and drinking IPA's. It has been really good for my 50 year old fat ass to get out and walk to work off the rich American Beer.
"You are only as young as the last time you changed your mind" T. Leary

hizzo

i love backpacking and hiking! it's been too long since i have and all the pictures make me miss it! i've done a couple 4 day trips in colorado and some day hiking in tennessee.
One good thing about music: when it hits you feel no pain.