How do you categorize your music?

Started by dragonboy, Apr 27, 2009, 08:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ruckus

As a 60's free jazz/avante garde fan, I didn't like some of the free form jazzy stuff on Crimson but then tracks 1, 2, 5 are sweet.  Plus, as a fantasy RPG dork, I love flute (synth or real) that puts me in some medieval forest.

That has to be sentence of the day Ruckus  ;D

Why thank you.  Perhaps I should start a RPG dork thread
Can You Put Your Soft Helmet On My Head

tomEisenbraun

So I don't really have much going for CD organization these days, but I do have sort of a music shrine in the opposite corner of my room from the computer. I picked up the Apple Airport Express last summer so I can broadcast my tunes wirelessly into this business here:

I inherited this set-up when I got to college, my dad figured he got this deal when he was in college and now has paid entirely too much for a set-up that involves Klipsch speakers and a horribly EQ'd (I can't blame him, he claims to love classic rock but unless that genre also includes the Pet Shop Boys and copious amounts of Yanni and Vangelis [no harm meant, Andrew!], I think he might be misdirected...) component stack from the mid-90s, so he figured he'd hand this one off to me. The sound from these speakers (Infinity Qa's) is relatively incredible, though I have learned that you have to be very very careful with ribbon tweeters. I can understand why they phased these out, due to how fragile these suckers are (I've now been through two and haven't found one for any less than $35 on eBay. That's a pretty penny for being careless!), but the highs are incredibly crisp. For being over 30 years old, I'll stand by these suckers. Also, my receiver absolutely has to be tubed, seeing as how it's incredibly heavy and the sound is so damn warm. Plus, I'm pretty sure I can see classic tube guards through the ventilation slots in the top.

That said, I don't barely use the CD player, opting for vinyl when I'm going to go with anything physical (soooo I do believe..) --

This is only half the collection (95% of it is my dad's handed on to me, with some serious classics, like first edition Zeppelins II, III, IV and Physical Graffiti), the other half being in a box in my closet. I'm about to move and I think I'm going to build a little shelf for my wall to hold all these suckers, as it's about damn time I have them all (Yanni and Beverly Hills Cop soundtrack included) on display.
The river is moving. The blackbird must be flying.

red

Nice photo-taking crouch T-Pain!

tomEisenbraun

QuoteNice photo-taking crouch T-Pain!

;)
The river is moving. The blackbird must be flying.

dragonboy

More great pics, I love this thread!

I started sorting my CDs this morning. It's 5.20pm now & I'm nowhere near finished. My wife will be home soon & the place looks like a bomb's hit it  ;D
God will forgive them. He'll forgive them and allow them into Heaven.....I can't live with that.

red

QuoteMore great pics, I love this thread!

I started sorting my CDs this morning. It's 5.20pm now & I'm nowhere near finished. My wife will be home soon & the place looks like a bomb's hit it  ;D
A SEX BOMB!!!

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6KUJE2xs-RE[/media]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6KUJE2xs-RE

dragonboy

God will forgive them. He'll forgive them and allow them into Heaven.....I can't live with that.

Penny Lane

All these pics are great! my collection is so inferior, i am not worthy (especially your setup D-boy!)
but come on...there's nothing sexy about poop. Nothing.  -bbill

ycartrob

Albums will always be the best. From the sound to the artwork that you can actually see.

One of my few regrets is not taking better care of my album collection (well, also, a friend of mine borrowed and sold a bunch of my albums for some dilaudid  :-/ ).

red

QuoteAlbums will always be the best. From the sound to the artwork that you can actually see.
A few months ago I was browsing in a record store when I came across a copy of R.E.M.'s Life's Rich Pageant.  Now, I've owned that record for quite some time, but holding up the LP and gazing at the album cover I could actually see absolutely blew my mind.  

[smiley=thumbup.gif]

BH

QuoteAlbums will always be the best. From the sound to the artwork that you can actually see.
A few months ago I was browsing in a record store when I came across a copy of R.E.M.'s Life's Rich Pageant.  Now, I've owned that record for quite some time, but holding up the LP and gazing at the album cover I could actually see absolutely blew my mind.  

[smiley=thumbup.gif]

Speaking of vinyl, has Tom arrived yet?
I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

red

QuoteSpeaking of vinyl, has Tom arrived yet?
Not quite yet you glorious angel.   ;D

Canada Post seems to hoard my mail and deliver it in bunches on Fridays.  Here's hoping for tomorrow.  

ycartrob

[smiley=thumbup.gif]

I can recall getting that record the day it came out and we sat around drinking this and doing that, trying to decipher the magic. I saw that tour, too. Amazing.

red

QuoteI can recall getting that record the day it came out and we sat around drinking this and doing that, trying to decipher the magic. I saw that tour, too. Amazing.
So jealous.  I wish I could have been a teenager during the IRS years.  

dragonboy

Alright so this was things mid-tidy yesterday:

This is cabinet No1 all sorted:

No2:

No3 (note my Rampant Badassery sticker!)

To the victor the spoils!!! (cheers everyone!)

capt. scotty

very nice DB!  [smiley=beer.gif]

you got re-organization skills like a MF'er. Did High Fidelity kick it in gear or no?

my collection is in CD books and this thread almost makes me want to put everything back in the case and on the shelf. If I wasnt moving so soon, I might just go for it.
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

red

Looks great dB (I just listened to Stands for Decibels) and satisfies even my OCD.  

Where's your father's section?

[smiley=beer.gif]
(For a job well done.)

dragonboy

weeniebeenie

Everyone's record collections look sooo cool.
We're getting floorboards next week so I've got to pack away all mine but I'll post some when my room's fixed and I've sorted out all my dad's old albums (which now belong to my sister but will be living in my room).
How loud can silence get?

FACE

QuoteLooks great dB (I just listened to Stands for Decibels) and satisfies even my OCD.  

Where's your father's section?

[smiley=beer.gif]
(For a job well done.)

the dB's are so awesome.