Solar Roadways

Started by Bermuda_Hitchhiker, Sep 02, 2009, 02:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BH

I got to say, this makes a lot of sense and every time I tried to poke a hole in their plan, they had an answer.  Pretty cool idea either way.

http://www.solarroadways.com/Introduction.htm

I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

capt. scotty

Sounds cool...pretty sure ill be dead by the time there using this though unless someone creates anti-aging Gatorade or something
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

el_chode

R. Bucky Fuller suggested something similar in order to power the world.
I'm surrounded by assholes

AMightyCaporal

shit those things sound incredible!  I hope to see that in action.  Of course it would cost so much money but the long term effects would so outweigh it.
Oh I'll never say I knew you, but my heart can't wait to meet you on the other side

The DARK

For all asphalt roads?  Quite the extensive project.  :o

Maybe if they started with only the interstate highways and waited for the idea to catch on in the municpal areas, we'd have a great system. It seems like it would definitely benefit us in the long run, and ease the transition into alternative fuels.

I'm also not sure how expensive the surface of the road will turn out to be... most of the cost projections are for the solar panels themselves, but the cost of the actual road portion seems like it would be much higher.
In another time, in another place, in another face

Love Dogg

Beddy, beddy intellesting!   :)
"Sometimes it runs its course in a day, babe.  Sometimes it goes from night after night."

pawpaw

Hmmm...I like it, but even with HEAVY gov't subsidies, it's always gunna be WAY cheaper to lay asphalt. Plus, if you're driving on these things, they're gunna get dirty, which really affects the efficiency. Maybe they've worked that out...I didn't read everything on the site.

There's a pretty good article on solar energy options in this month's National Geographic.
"I'm able to sing because I'm able to fly, son. You heard me right..."

BH

QuotePlus, if you're driving on these things, they're gunna get dirty, which really affects the efficiency. Maybe they've worked that out...I didn't read everything on the site.

HA!  That's the very first thing I thought of as well!  Great minds, etc. etc.   Someone is going to lay down some serious black marks with there 67 Camaro.

I did run across this in the FAQ section but I'm not sure I'm buying it.

How are you going to keep the surface clean?
While at the International Workshop on Scientific Challenges for New Functionalities in Glass, I learned of a new technology: self-cleaning glass. From Wikipedia: "Self-cleaning glass is a specific type of glass with a surface which keeps itself free of dirt and grime through natural processes. The glass cleans itself in two stages: the 'photocatalytic' stage of the process breaks down the organic dirt on the glass using ultraviolet in sunlight (even on overcast days) and makes the glass hydrophilic (normally glass is hydrophobic). During the following 'hydrophilic' state, rain washes away the dirt – leaving almost no streaks, because hydrophilic glass spreads the water evenly over its surface."

It is yet to be seen if this process will be enough to keep our Solar Roadways™ operating under optimal performance (100% clean surfaces), but it will certainly put a dent in a potential problem. There will be some obvious obstacles such as oil spills, sandstorms, storm debris, etc. Here's the worst case scenario: when I was a kid in southern California, we used to chase street sweepers (vehicles with large rotating brushes) down the street. We still use them in the springtime here in north Idaho to clear the roads of the sand that was used for traction during the winter months. Similar vehicles could be used when needed to maintain a clean road surface on the Solar Roadways™. Again, this is worst case and only if the self-cleaning properties of the glass aren't enough to do the entire job.
I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

The DARK

Definitely. These roads will have to deal with much more than the average wear and tear of the elements. Asphalt is overall very durable, and it still gets worn down every seven years.

As a variation on the idea, what if the concrete in public parks and squares was replaced by this material? It would be great publicity for cities willing to give this a shot.
In another time, in another place, in another face

pawpaw

QuotePlus, if you're driving on these things, they're gunna get dirty, which really affects the efficiency. Maybe they've worked that out...I didn't read everything on the site.

HA!  That's the very first thing I thought of as well!  Great minds, etc. etc.   Someone is going to lay down some serious black marks with there 67 Camaro.

I did run across this in the FAQ section but I'm not sure I'm buying it.

How are you going to keep the surface clean?
While at the International Workshop on Scientific Challenges for New Functionalities in Glass, I learned of a new technology: self-cleaning glass. From Wikipedia: "Self-cleaning glass is a specific type of glass with a surface which keeps itself free of dirt and grime through natural processes. The glass cleans itself in two stages: the 'photocatalytic' stage of the process breaks down the organic dirt on the glass using ultraviolet in sunlight (even on overcast days) and makes the glass hydrophilic (normally glass is hydrophobic). During the following 'hydrophilic' state, rain washes away the dirt – leaving almost no streaks, because hydrophilic glass spreads the water evenly over its surface."

It is yet to be seen if this process will be enough to keep our Solar Roadways™ operating under optimal performance (100% clean surfaces), but it will certainly put a dent in a potential problem. There will be some obvious obstacles such as oil spills, sandstorms, storm debris, etc. Here's the worst case scenario: when I was a kid in southern California, we used to chase street sweepers (vehicles with large rotating brushes) down the street. We still use them in the springtime here in north Idaho to clear the roads of the sand that was used for traction during the winter months. Similar vehicles could be used when needed to maintain a clean road surface on the Solar Roadways™. Again, this is worst case and only if the self-cleaning properties of the glass aren't enough to do the entire job.

Dude, it's that logical engineer's mind of yours Dave!

Yeah, even if self cleaning glass works, I don't think it'd be consistently effective on roads. Sounds like magical glass to me...  ::)

I work a lot with electrical engineers and utility companies, so I see a lot of different applications for pv. I like it as a building envelope material, kind of like everything but the vision glass on a building facade. Roofs are perfect too. It's all just still so expensive relative to coal and natural gas fired power plants. It's going to take a BIG investment from the fed gov't to REALLY get this going here...it sounds like Obama is committed to it too.
"I'm able to sing because I'm able to fly, son. You heard me right..."