Pres. Obama wins Nobel Peace Prize

Started by AMightyPirate, Oct 09, 2009, 09:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jaimoe

QuoteThere is not an eyeroll big enough.

Come on, you had to have known someone would have done this eventually. Rush is calling this a bigger failure than the loss of the Olympics

Has Rush - assuming you mean Limbaugh - historically respected the Nobel Peace Prize? And losing the Olympics may be a blessing in disguise, although I hope Toronto gets the 2015 Pan Am Games only because our waterfront is a mess.

ALady

Come on, you had to have known someone would have done this eventually. Rush is calling this a bigger failure than the loss of the Olympics

Oh, I'm not surprised by the response.  Just kind of amused by its lameness.  

"Filling the upper echelons of government...with unqualified personnel"?  Really?  I don't think this administration has appointed too many "Brownies" just yet...

"Spending money the US didn't have"  oh yeah, you couldn't say that about any other President before Obama    ::)
if it falls apart or makes us millionaires

pawpaw

QuoteThis didn't take long hahaha

;D That's pretty good. The vocal Right got a lil' wit in 'em.
"I'm able to sing because I'm able to fly, son. You heard me right..."

Nikkogino

QuoteYou have to exhibit a lot of "peace" to be the first black president of our nation. I don't know about you guys, but I am white and have never experienced systematic discrimination and oppression, and I have literally never put my life on the line to live out a dream; that has to come from a place of peace.

Kudos to Obama  :)
So by your logic, he got the prize cause he was black?  What ever happened to giving someone an award for an achievement?  It wouldn't make sense if he was nominated right now, let alone the beginning of the year.  

Giving this award to Obama was a joke.  Why don't we let the guy be president for a damn term before we crown him King of the world.  Even he thought it was BS....he didn't sound humble, he had a sense of "WTF" in his speech this morning.  Unbelievable.

AMightyCaporal

the problem is this- the guy didn't even get his foot in the door before the opposition started trying to get his ass impeached- he, in their eyes, can never, and will never do anything right... they will never give him a chance to be successful and will never admit he as done anything good.

And that happens with every president- maybe now more than ever before... Bush's second term was like this- Obama's first year- even more so... Its a terrible trend thats slowly spinning out of control.

Soon the elected presidents will just be killed by their opposition because, well, it's not their guy/gal

This two party system has turned into a screaming match by a bunch of stubborn babies- whoever can scream the loudest gets the most screen time on our "news" channels (more like reality tv shows if you ask me)

We need to start working towards unifying OUR country... now you aren't going to make everyone happy all the time but if we all work hard we all GIVE and take and learn and understand one another then I think it's a step in the right direction.
Oh I'll never say I knew you, but my heart can't wait to meet you on the other side

bear sin rug

QuoteYou have to exhibit a lot of "peace" to be the first black president of our nation. I don't know about you guys, but I am white and have never experienced systematic discrimination and oppression, and I have literally never put my life on the line to live out a dream; that has to come from a place of peace.

Kudos to Obama  :)

So by your logic, he got the prize cause he was black?  What ever happened to giving someone an award for an achievement?    

No, silly, not just b/c he is black. He is the first black PRESIDENT of The United States of America.

The Prize didn't go to the black crack dealer on the corner, or Jay-Z or Michael Vick, it went to the first black PRESIDENT of The United States of America; a country that was built on the backs of slave labor and oppression, but now ALL colors are shining through.

Being the first black PRESIDENT isn't an achievement in your book?
Don't be so bitter! Celebrate!  :)
It's a bad idea

el_chode

QuoteThe Nobel committee said it honored Obama for his "extraordinary efforts to strengthen international diplomacy and cooperation between peoples."

I'm going with the committee on this, who has probably thought this out more than anyone here (or everyone here combined!  ;))

I'd agree, just maybe do it a bit later, you know, after we've seen some lasting effects and lofty hopes and dreams.

I didn't vote for the guy (nor McCain) but I haven't witnessed the mass degradation of society that was promised by the opposition, nor the next "great era" yet. I have witnessed our "legislature" disintegrate, but that would have happened regardless of the election's outcome.

I have also witnessed my small little town go from vacant storefronts this time last year to half-vacant store fronts, so that's a good sign.

I just wish at work I got a bonus every time I promised to take on a project.
I'm surrounded by assholes

el_chode

Has Rush - assuming you mean Limbaugh - historically respected the Nobel Peace Prize? And losing the Olympics may be a blessing in disguise, although I hope Toronto gets the 2015 Pan Am Games only because our waterfront is a mess.

Yes, here in America, everyone outside of computer programmers stopped knowing any other Rush years ago unfortunately. He respects the Nobel Peace prize I assume, but only when he or someone close to him wins it.

To contrast it, this has unleashed a full circus in the states. The head of the Democrats have now equated the Republicans to being on the side of Al Qaeda and Hamas; all three of whom have lambasted the award.

bear sin rug

Become president (as a minority that was once enslaved and then disriminated against for 100's of years) of the most powerful nation on the planet and you might get some more perks.

You're comparing apples to oranges.  :)
It's a bad idea

el_chode

Become president (as a minority that was once enslaved and then disriminated against for 100's of years) of the most powerful nation on the planet and you might get some more perks.

You're comparing apples to oranges.  :)

Misplaced guilt as justification for this just reads color into a black and white situation. I didn't know the NPP was an award for people who stood on the shoulders of giants in overcoming civil rights challenges. Should he get a grammy too, since they have about the same amount of relevance as far as reasonings.

I don't see any of this guilt over civil rights having anything to do with whirrled peas. It's the equivalent of saying "oh look, here is this African American man, we feel bad for him, so let's give him this award to show him there's no hard feelings and good for him for rising above it all". It seems so sanctimonious and pretentious...not to mention patronizing.

Mandela got it for actually working hard to make a difference, enduring a hell of a lot more discrimination than Obama ever experienced.  I wish Obama could jsut do something without having the rest of the guilt-ridden world read race into everything that he does or has happen to him. That goes for both sides of the debate.

Angry Ewok

QuoteIt's the equivalent of saying "oh look, here is this African American man, we feel bad for him, so let's give him this award to show him there's no hard feelings and good for him for rising above it all". It seems so sanctimonious and pretentious...not to mention patronizing.

That mind set isn't just patronizing, it's straight-up racist.

--- and that's 2 real 4 u.

Nikkogino

bear sin rug...you have a screw loose.  

Obama becoming President was awesome (and I didn't even vote for him) because it put the US even higher when it comes to racial acceptance.  We have come a long way since the 1800s, but how does it make sense in 2009, after we have had black supreme court justices, Oscar winners, CEOs, Senators, NFL head coaches, etc etc etc etc, to have your mindset, which is:

A man deserves a Nobel Peace prize for being black and becoming president.  It is ridiculous and is racist, not to mention non-nonsensical.  You are a little over the top man.

You know what, we should go ahead and give the guy an Oscar....just in case he one day acts in a movie....cause if he did, it would be inspirational....oh, and he is black (bear sin rug wants us to remember that).  Screw white people, black people, yellow people....let's move on with life.

Sassbox

Being the first black PRESIDENT isn't an achievement in your book?
--------------------------------------------

It's an achievement, alright...but has nothing to do with why he was bestowed with the honor and for you to suggest so is a little out there.  

Have you actually read the citation or any of the reasons enumerated by the committee?
God sure baked a lot of fruitcake, baby.

Nikkogino

QuoteBeing the first black PRESIDENT isn't an achievement in your book?
--------------------------------------------

It's an achievement, alright...but has nothing to do with why he was bestowed with the honor and for you to suggest so is a little out there.  

Have you actually read the citation or any of the reasons enumerated by the committee?

I didn't suggest it.....bear sin rug did.  I certainly think what Obama did was freaking amazing.  But I don't (like bear sin rug above) think that warrants a Nobel Peace Prize.

bear sin rug

All of a sudden, a bunch of people who know very little about the awarding of the Nobel Prize are more knowledgeable than the Nobel prize committee!   ;D ;)
It's a bad idea

MickeyReds

Nominated for the Nobel Peace Prize after 11 days in office??? Received the same award as Mother Theresa, Nelson Mandela, Ghandi, Desmond Tutu, Amnesty International, and Martin Luther King, Jr. ??? Hasn't hosted a peace conference, signed a treaty, or ended a conflict yet??? Was more worthy than activists and leaders around the world who are jailed, banished, and have struggled & suffered for many years for peace???
As long as you keep a straight face...

bear sin rug

If any of you think a white American president gets the Nobel for doing the exact thing Obama has, then you are obviously not paying attention. This is clearly about race.
It's a bad idea

bear sin rug

A man deserves a Nobel Peace prize for being black and becoming president.  It is ridiculous and is racist, not to mention non-nonsensical.  

So you agree with me. Thanks. (non-nonsensical = makes sense.)

silly  ;D ;D
It's a bad idea

Nikkogino

A man deserves a Nobel Peace prize for being black and becoming president.  It is ridiculous and is racist, not to mention non-nonsensical.  

silly  ;D ;D

Funny when the only defense you have is to point out typos.  I like everyone on these boards but you.

bear sin rug

silly  ;D ;D

Funny when the only defense you have is to point out typos.  I like everyone on these boards but you.

"non-" is a typo? That's a helluva typo!  ;D
It's a bad idea